The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 00:54:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Shipping my 67 from UK to Canada.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shipping my 67 from UK to Canada.  (Read 8328 times)
Stefan Rossi

« on: May 06, 2012, 00:26:13 am »

Hello. Haven't been on here for a while but I need some help!

I have just emigrated from England to Saskatoon, Canada. I left behind my 67 street/strip car that I've spent at roughly about 24000 english pounds on. It is currently sitting in a good friends garage waiting for me to ship it out to Canada.

The problem is I've been getting some stupid quotes. I've been told I can get it here for about $2000 pretty much door to door. BUT, the quotes I've been getting have been around the $6000 mark  Shocked

I don't want to sell it and start again because I only finished the car 18 months ago and I want to enjoy it more, before i think about building another one. It was also my first car and I'm not sure ill get anywhere near what I would ask for it if I was to sell it.

The car is in Birmingham, England.

If any of you have any ideas or reputable shipping companies that I could try it would be much appreciated as I'm running out of ideas  Cry

Heres a couple of pictures of the car anyway.

Thanks

Stef

Aircooled Engineering. Birmingham, England

www.ace-vw.com

Check us out on FB, www.facebook.com/aircooledengineering

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'67 Chevelle PT106mm turbo
'66 Lincoln
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:16:51 am »

just googled you, right in the middle of nowhere (sorry i meant Canada Wink )

I was going to suggest the cheapest option was ship to NY and then drive it home, but that is 2000 miles.

The other options are either Vancouver, or LA and these also involve a long drive.  But should be cheaper than you have been quoted.

Your problem is the paperwork as it involves going via another country and convincing them it isn't residing there so they will release it.

Give Mr Ritchie a pm, he ships from LA on a frequent basis and can you give you some contacts.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Udo

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:31:06 am »

I had good luck with seabridge. may be they ship to canada also . i got my last car over from Virginia to germany . same price as you heard about. 6000 is more than by airplane

Udo

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:16:32 am »

www.kingstownshipping.co.uk

Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, door to door... That's who Russell and I use.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 16:30:10 pm »

Thanks guys I will give them a try!

Yeah pretty much in the middle of no where! But its a start haha.

FastBrit, how much do you normally pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Stef

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
dannyboy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 17:42:46 pm »

you wont be at action this year then steff Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 18:24:28 pm »

Haha i guess not Danny Sad I would love to tho! My plan is to eventually take it to California and race it there at some of the shows, go to the DKP cruise ect ect!

By the way sorry I never replied to your pm on VZi I've been so busy moving and sorting out my new life haha. Ill just message you on Facebook instead.

Ive emailed a couple of shipping companies so hopefully they will get back to me this week with some good news.

My friend who's garage it is in works in sea freight but i think something fishy is going on with his quote of 6000!!

Stef

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
dannyboy

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 18:45:19 pm »

stay in touch mate and good luck over in canada  Smiley Smiley 

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:43 pm »

I would suggest to ship it into a container and not ro-ro. With ro-ro shipping you will see a lot more damages (I'm a Marine Surveyor) and they drive in your car.. Shouldn't want them to make some donuts would you Tongue.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Bruce

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 16:40:01 pm »

Shouldn't want them to make some donuts would you
If anyone is considering letting them drive it on and off, simply remove the main jet stacks from the IDAs.  It will drive perfectly under 3k rpm, and won't go above.  Give it a try!
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 18:30:42 pm »

I don't want the driving it at all so will they just roll it on?!

it better not get lifted with a fork lift either. We had a 23 window samba imported to where i used to work and they lifted it and bent the frame rails.  Roll Eyes

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
richie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 20:59:36 pm »

it better not get lifted with a fork lift either. We had a 23 window samba imported to where i used to work and they lifted it and bent the frame rails.  Roll Eyes

I sent my cabrio to LA roll on roll off,I had along talk to the employees that actually load the boats when I dropped it off at southampton,there was no way round them actually driving it on,they didnt want to drive it as they didnt want the responsability of putting it in the water Wink

I did everything I could to stop them getting carried away by making adjustments in the ECU,it got there fine,for me it was preferable to the fork lift that they all use to load Non runners Shocked,you take you choice,and roll on roll off was alot cheaper Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Gavin - DVKK

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 21:38:08 pm »

Good to see more nice cars into Canada... There are some great VW people out in your way in Saskatoon. Be sure to check out www.airspeedparts.com and also there is a big VW show we host in Vancouver called the Great Canadian in mid August. You can find out more info on the airspeed site... Good luck with car.
Gavin
Russell

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 22:00:07 pm »

As Keith said use Kingstown shipping, speak to mark, it wont be anywhere near 6000, more like 1500-1800 in a container port to port, safe as houses. You could collect from the port in Canada making it easier and cheaper for you.

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 22:00:54 pm »

FastBrit, how much do you normally pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Stef

He doesnt...... he makes everyone else pay.........  LOL  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 00:27:00 am »

Good to see more nice cars into Canada... There are some great VW people out in your way in Saskatoon. Be sure to check out www.airspeedparts.com and also there is a big VW show we host in Vancouver called the Great Canadian in mid August. You can find out more info on the airspeed site... Good luck with car.
Gavin

Thanks for the heads up Gavin. Depending on my car situation I would like to drive or fly over for that show! Would be pretty awesome!

Russell I've emailed Mark at Kingstown so hopefully ill get a nice door to door quote tomorrow!

Whats the deal with paying duty on the cars? I guess America may be different to Canada. I know ill have to pay a certain percentage of what the cars worth but how do they figure the value out?! I can't see them knowing what they are looking at so its just an old 67 beetle thats shiny. Well i hope thats how they look at it haha!   Undecided

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 00:34:04 am »

I sent my cabrio to LA roll on roll off,I had along talk to the employees that actually load the boats when I dropped it off at southampton,there was no way round them actually driving it on,they didnt want to drive it as they didnt want the responsability of putting it in the water Wink

I did everything I could to stop them getting carried away by making adjustments in the ECU,it got there fine,for me it was preferable to the fork lift that they all use to load Non runners Shocked,you take you choice,and roll on roll off was alot cheaper Smiley

cheers richie

Hey Ritchie, I was going to send you a PM asking you for advice but no need now Grin

I don't think ill be going for the role on option now tho. Ive emailed two english companies, Kingstown and 1st Move International and one Canadian company , All Cargo Express. Ive asked for door to door and a crate price from port to port.

Fingers crossed!

Stef

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
Russell

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 00:55:09 am »

You should only have to pay import charges and unloading, there shouldn't be any import tax as long you owned it in the UK for a decent period of time, it will also depend if you go with a temporary import or a permanent one....

You are going to get asked the value....... my recommendation is LIE (keep it low), however if there is a problem (very slim) during shipping  the insurance will only cover what you say its worth.......

If you are planning on taking it to the US after Canada i would try for a temp import for year and then try and keep it, worst case you have to ship it back but at least its still yours...

Oh and when you ship they will likely need the V5, when you hand this over, fill in a form at DVLA saying you lost it, they will send and charge you for a new one which you must keep, but if you end up registering the car overseas they will take your original V5 away (i think).... thus if you ever ship the car back you will have saved a heap of hassle by already having the new one, also you will just need to SORN it when your away.

Also when a new V5 is issued the old one is void as they are dated and referenced.

Hope this helps.... if not sorry

Best Regards

Russell
Bruce

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:54 am »

There is no duty on any car entering Canada that is 25 years old or more.

When you are moving to Canada, you must own the car for at least 1 year before you come, then you have to keep the car for at least one year after you arrive here.

In Canada we have our GST/HST/PST, which is the same as your VAT.  Since the car is part of your personal possessions when you move here, you don't have to pay that.  You will have to get import papers from the Canada Border Services Agency before you can register it in SK.  Those import papers will cost you nothing.  If you're not bringing the car right away with you, make sure you have a copy of your UK paperwork so you can list it as your current personal possession. That way you can have it shipped over at a later date and still pay no fees/taxes.

When you go to register it, make sure you remove the UK number plates from the car.  The SK authorities will demand you turn them in to them.  Tell them you surrendered them in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:02:49 am by Bruce » Logged
Russell

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 20:43:36 pm »

Bruce

Good point about the plates however in the UK we own the plates unlike the Canada and the US where you rent them, so its no loss if they take a set of plates that cost $20 to replace, in the Uk the V5 (US title) is far more important.

This is an interestng thread, dont even want to mention shipping a car to Norway !!!!  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
K-Roc

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 00:05:30 am »

Get the car shipped to Vancouver for Late August, then fly or drive out here and enjoy the Great Canadian VW weekend here in Vancouver  Smiley
Geoff P DVKK

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 04:53:30 am »

Aug 24-26th
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:21 am »

Thanks for all the help guys! I finally got a good quote, well the best quote I think ill get anyway. It was with All Cargo Express that i got the best price. What do you guys think?

Southampton - Halifax - Saskatoon all for around $4000 CAD.

Thats interesting about the car being over 25 years old. Saves me a little more money Smiley

I have owned the car for 8 years. I'm guessing my log book which is currently with the car now will have the date i purchased it on?

Should I post the Log book out to myself first or leave it with the car? In England before i moved to Canada in November I sent away the slip at the bottom of the log book saying i was exporting the car to Canada. Was this a mistake? I guess it shouldn't matter along as I get it here. I don't plan on moving back to England.

I'd love to drive over for the Great Canadian but I think I'm going to go to Bonneville for the land speed races. A buddy of mine is taking his Single Cab down there again. He ran it last year with the stock 36hp engine and has done some tweaking to it for this year. He owns a world record in it, pretty mental in an old patina single cab!!

Again thanks for the help guys

www.ace-vw.com

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'66 Lincoln
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: