The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 16:06:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Late or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Late or not?  (Read 12427 times)
Neil Davies

« on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:35 am »

Here's a bit of a dilemma I've got going on, and I need opinions.

I bought back my first car recently, a '68 that was modified to look like a US Spec '67. I bought it as a stocker back in early 1995, and by the end of 1996 I'd dechromed it, put a long bonnet and '67 engine lid onto it, changed the back lights and the bumpers, and painted it appliance white, changing the wheels for polished Empi 5's with a drum change. When I went to uni my brother had it off me, and it was completely restored, with new front quarter panels, floors, and so on.
Here's a picture from a while back:

It looks a lot less tidy now - one front wing and the valance are rotted through, the other front wing is bashed in, the paint reacted pretty much all over the roof and quarters, and the '67 only doors weren't as good as they first looked, with a big hole in one and the frame broken around the hinge on the other. Basically, although the shell is still pretty much solid, it's looking tired. The wheels aren't on the car either - it's currently got a 4 bolt front end and a 5 bolt rear end. Whatever happens, it will have 4 bolt all round so I can use my original Empi 8-spokes or my chrome Sprintstars, depening on how I feel on a particular day! Smiley

My dilemma is this - As I need 4 new wings, two new doors and a front valance minimum, do I put the car back to late model or keep it looking earlier than it really is? Huh

I've got a really good pair of '68 doors, but I could weld in the earlier handle apertures easily enough. If I go late I've got an eyebrow engine lid for it, a new late front valance but no decent bonnet. If I stay early I've got a scrap 2-vent lid to "cabrio" the '67 lid with and a good bonnet for the front. It'll be getting a colour change and an interior revamp with a new headliner and other bits. I've always loved the look of US-spec '67's, but I kind of feel like it's faking it and I should stay true to the late models, which I also like! Decisions, decisions! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:58 am »

I think you know my opinion about that...  Wink

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Glitter don't make you faster.
RFbuilt

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:37 am »

i vote turning it back to a true 68'

i think we need a few more late lookers, done by people of ur caliber

LOL

cant help but imagine.. a 68' tastefully done, with a neil davis kinda motor at the back...

hmmmm  Grin
gizago

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »

That says it all really  Wink Beautiful car.

Never been a fan of 'wrong-uns', if its late, keep it late I vote.
qubek

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »

My dilemma is this - As I need 4 new wings, two new doors and a front valance minimum, do I put the car back to late model or keep it looking earlier than it really is? Huh

Which way do YOU think it would look better?

A later car made to look like an earlier one or a later car previously made to look like an earlier one and now made to look more original again.... who cares? Unless you plan to restore it to the original-factory form in the future.

On the other hand - making a late model bug looking older is definitely not in fashion nowadays - exactly the same way as it was popular in the past. So if you want to be trendy, you shouldn't do it Wink

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 15:27:30 pm »

I think you know my opinion about that...  Wink

I knew you'd say that! Cheesy

Never been a fan of 'wrong-uns', if its late, keep it late I vote.

I've never been a fan of crap wronguns, you know, sloping headlights with short bonnet, blade bumpers on conversion brackets, that sort of thing, but when we did this one we wanted it to be totally convincing, so we modified the dash, the header rail across the top of the screen, everything. So really it's not a case of keping it late, it's turning it back to late. Undecided

Which way do YOU think it would look better?

I've got a real soft spot for '67s, but I also really like late models, so hence the dilemma! Cheesy Either way is going to take some work!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 15:33:49 pm »

Keep it custom, but do more... change the dash like you just don't care, fit US 67 fenders, stamp the 67 engine lid full of louvers and have a Merry Christmas!
And that also applies to all Lounges (both louvers and the Christmas bit)! 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
plasticblack

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 16:10:25 pm »

I also agree that putting this back to a proper '68 spec is the way to go.

I really wish  that more of these cars that have been made to look earlier than they are, could be put back to original specs.

Sure pre '67 cars are cool, but then again so are the later models and certainly deserve to be given a chance to shine.

When I eventually get the chance... A 1969/1970 Beetle is on my shopping list.  Smiley
LuftsickTero

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 17:10:01 pm »

I think it looks great with the US '67 look in the photo. I wouldn't change it back to stock.

How many simultaneous projects are you doing, BTW?  Grin

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 17:36:10 pm »

Make it a baja and really blow some peoples minds. Just kidding, do what you want, not what anybody else thinks. Remember the saying "anybody can restore a car, it takes a man to cut one up"

FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 18:55:35 pm »

Hard decisions.... when i did the resto on my bug i considered both options... i had to deal with a mexico body....i hated the vents behind the rear quarter windows and the big taillights... First i wanted to build a pre 67....but have seen to much wrong "fake"cars...so i decided to build a late looker  Grin. Still glad i turned that route.... A nice example of a nice "fake" pré '68 is the sephia brown '67 from the DAS vw club (don't know the name of the owner, but he's on the lounge too).  When you like to go the '67 route i would go all the way and change all details....Just do it all or don't do it. Wink
Bugsy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 19:06:44 pm »

As JHU said, keep it custom.

You did this change in the middle of 90´s. It will be a classic anyway with customized body and no one except the tru fan will recognice the difference.
I´m starting to like late models more every day but the 67 look is still the one to look for, all though mine still is a 66´ Grin

Patrik
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 23:43:32 pm »

I vote for late ! Grin

glenn

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 00:04:57 am »

When rebuilding my 74 I was going to go with 57 bullet front fenders and 64 rear fenders, but then I decided to embrace it's "fatness".

Dance with the one you brung.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:56 am »

Simple, really... late cars: keep the late body panels. Early cars: same theory.

One day, I'd love to build a late Cal Looker.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
neil68

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 03:04:28 am »

The '68 Beetle is the pinnacle of VW development, IMO, so I vote to keep the stock fenders and doors:

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 04:11:57 am »

Late's are cool also! Like other member's say do what you like Grin
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 05:14:49 am »

I myself say LATE. But you do what you like, not what others tell you what to do. Boy, does this sound familiarRoll Eyes Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Dan Mazur

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 06:15:20 am »

If you don't like lates, get an early.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Sven/DFL

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 08:18:45 am »

I would go for a Late Looker! Look at Rolands Car - it's perfect! But it is your car and it should Be your Look and taste! Take your Time, look at the pictures at the Lounge an find YOUR way!

Nice Chrismas Sven
bluestar

D.A.S member

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 10:41:20 am »

late .... , for me , never change the real year looking of a car , if you want a pre-68' take a pre-68'.....

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 11:31:47 am »

I agree with the things that have been said about modifying to look older etc...
BUT
since it's allready been done and look great I would say keep it US67.
It's not like we find them everyday over here in Europe.

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 18:46:23 pm »

Soon the new style will be to take early beetles and make them look like late models. Grin

beetletom

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 19:35:50 pm »

keep it as it is, sort out the rot and fit the 8 spokes  Cool

or if your really stuck with ideas, go with a 68 1200, best of both worlds!  Grin
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 20:23:29 pm »

late .... , for me , never change the real year looking of a car , if you want a pre-68' take a pre-68'.....
I agree, except mine is a 69'. Again Late is still my vote!
                                    v
                                    v

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 22:47:30 pm »

Soon the new style will be to take early beetles and make them look like late models. Grin

Good Lord... no!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 00:14:56 am »

When I was forced to repair and redo my '69 after a spin and crash in the rain (damn those DOTs in the rain!), I changed it a bit by replacing the front fenders with '67 units, only because that's all I had! Didn't want to use the afterjunk pieces. I think it turned out OK, though no longer pure ...  Embarrassed

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 11:20:31 am »

68 are greats!

But, if your's is already deeply modified to looks like a 67, I would go like Jhu says. Modify it more and turn it into a proper 67 cal look beetle!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 17:16:30 pm by j-f » Logged
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 23:57:01 pm »

Check the 31 pages of this thread. Grin

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,97.0.html

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 08:40:07 am »

Check the 31 pages of this thread. Grin

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,97.0.html

Who stole my car  Shocked Shocked