The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 15:28:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Richie?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Richie?  (Read 5951 times)
Peter

« on: December 19, 2009, 11:51:34 am »

Hello Richie,
would you care telling us all the reincarnations your car went through?
I still remember your feature in volksworld, but was really blown away at das drag day;
you know, when the cab top came open after a massive wheelstand? Smiley
So how did your car revolve in the beast of today?
Do you have some specs/stories of your first turbo motor?

Peter
richie

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 14:25:45 pm »

Peter,
Well I am not sure about all that,some of it is still a secret Shocked

but heres the vid of the roof incident Cheesy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy0s2qnOoJY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy0s2qnOoJY</a>

and another well known wheelie,this always puts a smile on my face Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dag4Is8VLHg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/dag4Is8VLHg</a>

When i get some time I will put a brief history up if thats what you want?

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
ESH

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 15:22:01 pm »

At some point it looked like this...

tikimadness

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 18:00:00 pm »

I remember seeing your car on the tv racing against a bentley ^&%& with Vicky Butler Henderson at Santa Pod.

Shure would like tosee that video again Wink

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 19:10:43 pm »

and at one point it had koch grills/ 3 bar grills, or whatever they are called...  Roll Eyes

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:32:59 am »

and at one point it had koch grills/ 3 bar grills, or whatever they are called...  Roll Eyes

It's OK, we all go through phases... think Disco Cool
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:27:05 am by Dave Rosique » Logged
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 17:49:51 pm »

It's OK, we all go through phases... think Disco Cool

DISCO IS A SIN! always thought it was the crappiest 'music' ever.   Grin Grin
richie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 13:40:43 pm »

Ok now you have had a chance to discuss the merits of my more aerodynamic horn grill experiment Wink  I will add a little more to the original question.

In 2003 I ran the car with nitrous,it ran a best of 10.88 with me driving it to and from the track,but I felt i had reached the limits of some parts and had already seen that the quicker cars around the world were moving to turbo.
So that winter I took the engine apart,had the heads modified for more chamber cc to help get the compression down and it was all rebuilt into an bugpack alluminium case.I bought an off the shelf header and sourced the turbo threw Rob @ prowagen.The throttle body came from ebay as did the boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
As I was waiting on parts the engine was back in the car and run as N/A with the throttle bodies from before.
Finally all the parts arrived and we only had a week until the 1st race,I drove it to my friends house[Marco Mansi]  and removed all the old intake and exhaust parts.We started working on it monday night and with help from 2 other friends we managed to completely build the intake set up with chargecooler,and the exhaust as the off the shelf header didnt fit at all!!!All just in our spare time with some very late evenings.We even borrowed a turbo as mine hadnt turned up yet.
The saturday of the event was pretty much rained out which gave us a chance to check everything we had changed,on sunday 1st pass and we found the clutch set up from the nitrous engine wasnt enough so had to turn it down then it ran back into the 10s on its 3rd pass and I managed to make it to the final were I redlit Angry
It really was just the nitrous engine with lower compression and different lobe centers on the cam grind.

It ran a best of 10.53 that year with parts we literally just threw together Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Peter

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 13:55:29 pm »

Good story Richie,
thats what I was waiting for Smiley
Its cool to see a car evolve, especially when it looks "stockish" like yours, but runs 9's Grin
I was wondering, because I would like to go turbo at some point as well
In this ghia, there's tons of space, it would not be correct not to use it right? Smiley
vwcab

peter

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 13:57:50 pm »

Hi Richie,I see at the bottem(of your post's),that one of the "outlaw co-founders",is Marco Mansi.
Now,I remember his car from the "bugshow" a few years back (black turbobug with I believe 18"?)Am I right?
Now my question,does he still have and race it,and what became of that car?

Peter  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
richie

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 15:53:17 pm »

Hi Richie,I see at the bottem(of your post's),that one of the "outlaw co-founders",is Marco Mansi.
Now,I remember his car from the "bugshow" a few years back (black turbobug with I believe 18"?)Am I right?
Now my question,does he still have and race it,and what became of that car?

Peter  Wink

peter

He does still have the car,it hasnt moved much recently as the engine is in Matt Keenes All torque racecar,he has got married and had a son so hasnt had the time for the car

cheers richie,uk

vwcab

peter

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 16:04:12 pm »

Thx for the info Richie  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
m.m.p

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 18:14:20 pm »

Ok now you have had a chance to discuss the merits of my more aerodynamic horn grill experiment Wink  I will add a little more to the original question.

In 2003 I ran the car with nitrous,it ran a best of 10.88 with me driving it to and from the track,but I felt i had reached the limits of some parts and had already seen that the quicker cars around the world were moving to turbo.
So that winter I took the engine apart,had the heads modified for more chamber cc to help get the compression down and it was all rebuilt into an bugpack alluminium case.I bought an off the shelf header and sourced the turbo threw Rob @ prowagen.The throttle body came from ebay as did the boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
As I was waiting on parts the engine was back in the car and run as N/A with the throttle bodies from before.
Finally all the parts arrived and we only had a week until the 1st race,I drove it to my friends house[Marco Mansi]  and removed all the old intake and exhaust parts.We started working on it monday night and with help from 2 other friends we managed to completely build the intake set up with chargecooler,and the exhaust as the off the shelf header didnt fit at all!!!All just in our spare time with some very late evenings.We even borrowed a turbo as mine hadnt turned up yet.
The saturday of the event was pretty much rained out which gave us a chance to check everything we had changed,on sunday 1st pass and we found the clutch set up from the nitrous engine wasnt enough so had to turn it down then it ran back into the 10s on its 3rd pass and I managed to make it to the final were I redlit Angry
It really was just the nitrous engine with lower compression and different lobe centers on the cam grind.

It ran a best of 10.53 that year with parts we literally just threw together Smiley

cheers richie,uk

my god, that was a hecktic week!!!,come to think about it, that was a crazzy year!!! the chargecooler was one of the best engineered things we've ever made  Roll Eyes  Grin
the good old days  Cry

Thanks
Marco Mansi
Marcomansiperformance.com
0044(0)7947 660 924
JamieL

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 20:31:26 pm »

cheers richie,uk

my god, that was a hecktic week!!!,come to think about it, that was a crazzy year!!! the chargecooler was one of the best engineered things we've ever made  Roll Eyes  Grin
the good old days  Cry

Ditto that - Happy days and memories and inspiration to have done it myself - thanks guys and happy christmas Wink Cheesy

here's to next time and shiny bits on the outside as well as inside...   Shocked
pupjoint

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 07:42:43 am »

cool, Richie, what happened to the 45 throttle bodies, CB linkage? sold them off?  Grin
richie

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 11:07:57 am »

[q :)uote author=pupjoint link=topic=11204.msg171155#msg171155 date=1261723363]
cool, Richie, what happened to the 45 throttle bodies, CB linkage? sold them off?  Grin
[/quote]

they are now residing on fonzs ghia Smiley

Jamie/Marco funny how things were much simpler then Smiley 

Sometimes all the bu$$sh#t takes over and what you enjoy gets lost Huh  need to get some of that back again now Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: