The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 20:36:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  CSP torque bar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CSP torque bar  (Read 10753 times)
taffy apple

« on: May 25, 2011, 09:10:49 am »

Thinking about fitting one to the ghia for drag racing, to help eliminate wheel hop and better tie in the gearbox Any one used one or using one, how have you found it and was it straight forward to fit.
Its not cheap but looks good quality.
many thanks graham.
Stephan32

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:55 am »

Hi,

CSP Torque bar is an easy fit!

However it did not eliminate wheel hop on my car but helped to stiffen up the rear suspension.
After i fitted an engine traction bar wheel hop was eliminated to 100 %
If I was you I would fit both plus front tranny support; Gene Berg type.

Cheers Stephan
Gunter

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

thanks  Wink

if you need more info just pm me on gh@csp-shop.de

Gunter
taffy apple

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 21:44:56 pm »

Hi,

CSP Torque bar is an easy fit!

However it did not eliminate wheel hop on my car but helped to stiffen up the rear suspension.
After i fitted an engine traction bar wheel hop was eliminated to 100 %
If I was you I would fit both plus front tranny support; Gene Berg type.

Cheers Stephan

Cheers Stephan for your reply. I was thinking of fitting rhino front and rear mount, mid mount and the torque bar. The traction bar you fitted was that on a bug or a ghia, as i spoke to a guy with a ghia at the pod, who said they dont really work on ghia's.

Cheers Gunter, I know the quality of CSP parts allready as the ghia is running on disc's  all round that i got through Thomas kelm.
I think it would look neater to use the torque bar than to tie in the frame horns with the roll cage, for know as  its my wifes ghia and what ever i do i would like to be able to reverse at a later date.
Stephan32

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:51:59 am »

Graham,

I in order to elimante wheelhop you have to take the flex out of the engine/gearbox and frame.
So why should en engine support not help?
It eliminates a great deal of the engine movement with a hard launch!
I can clearly state that all that what I have mounted on my car was of pure benefit for street and track!
I run stock gear box rubbers also I drive my car hard as nails!  Grin

Better be safe than sorry and fit gear box support, torque bar and engine traction bar.

cheers Stephan

taffy apple

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:24:30 am »

Hi Stephen, it wasn't a case i don't want to run one, it was more the case how do they fit in a ghia i.e where do you fit the traction bar to on a ghia, as the conversation i had at the pits the guy said you haven't got the same strength for supporting it as you have in a beetle.
Stephan32

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »

Ah,

Ok, but surely all aircooled VW's were not made for that..
My Engine support is fixed to the bumber mounts and that is not a very strong part of the body
as it has allready been welded there..
I am sure there are guys out there who have have done it!
Best of luck to you!
Gene Berg does one!
http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=11_353
Stephan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:31:23 pm by Stephan32 » Logged
taffy apple

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 22:41:03 pm »

Cheers Stephan, will wait to find out how people have fitted the traction bar on ghia's.
Thanks for the link.
ibg

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:27:59 am »

I use a csp 3 bar on my '69 Ghia and Rhino mounts. With 170 hp this has no wheel hop. I did seam weld the gear box fork? arms? (not sure what they are called) I bought a Berg traction bar but when it was mounted the body flexed so I took it off. So if anybody wants to buy a KG traction bar!!!!
Good luck
taffy apple

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:03 am »

How much posted to uk?.
Chris W

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 22:43:54 pm »

I got one, very nice part and worth the $$. My only advise is to make sure you fit it with everything installed, axles, starter, exhaust ect.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 19:42:44 pm »

The only thing out there with a better design is the Australian five bar set up.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
christophe

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 21:50:34 pm »

And where do you find this one Jon?

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 22:51:17 pm »

I´m not sure if the front bars are doing any job...the rear downward bars are crucial to secure the framehorns, but where are the front bars attached?
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 23:28:41 pm »

It seems to me the front bars will potentially be the most important!
The tires twist forward, the trans wants to turn upward at the nose and pushes downward on the rear of the framehorns.
The CSP setup attaches the framehorns to the shock mounts so all of the downward force is transferred to them. In my opinion, they're not exactly up to the task & that's why the CSP setup, when used alone, is NOT up to the task of dragrace starts!
If the forward bars attach to the torsion housing or frame section over the front mount, they will support and hold the shock mounts from being pulled back/downward.
It may be possible to add another tab to the CSP shock mount to facilitate this ... might give it a try?
Best of luck,
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:10 am »

Now I see your point, I stand corrected.  Wink
taffy apple

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 11:29:50 am »

The tires twist forward, the trans wants to turn upward at the nose and pushes downward on the rear of the framehorns.
The CSP setup attaches the framehorns to the shock mounts so all of the downward force is transferred to them. In my opinion, they're not exactly up to the task & that's why the CSP setup, when used alone, is NOT up to the task of dragrace starts!
If the forward bars attach to the torsion housing or frame section over the front mount, they will support and hold the shock mounts from being pulled back/downward.
It may be possible to add another tab to the CSP shock mount to facilitate this ... might give it a try?
Best of luck,
TxT
will send Gunter a email to see if the five bar is a possibility with the csp torque bar.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 13:20:58 pm »

Best of luck,
TxT
will send Gunter a email to see if the five bar is a possibility with the csp torque bar.

Of course it is. It just a matter of good you are with the welder.

The 5 bar is available from Australia. Can`t find the link now but I`m sure someone else will find it for ya.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
taffy apple

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 15:14:23 pm »

Best of luck,
TxT

Of course it is. It just a matter of good you are with the welder.

The 5 bar is available from Australia. Can`t find the link now but I`m sure someone else will find it for ya.
Cheers Beetlebug
BeetleJuice

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 22:33:58 pm »

Here's the link to the aussie made one.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=68032
Bruce

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:10 am »

If the top rear of the shock tower is being pulled down, those extra forward bars won't help at all.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:41 am »

If the top rear of the shock tower is being pulled down, those extra forward bars won't help at all.

That depends how high you manage to attach them on top of the torsion housing.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: