The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 19:21:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  An Empi story you wouldn't believe...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: An Empi story you wouldn't believe...  (Read 10092 times)
deano

« on: December 09, 2011, 04:41:13 am »

I just received a letter from a friend, of an Empi employee, who worked with Dean Lowry for years, both at Empi and later at DDS. His story (now that he has passed away), get this, there were TWO Inch Pincher One cars.... I am sending this letter off to Darrell Vittone, and we'll see what he says...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:42 am »

Tongue
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:03 am »

Was the letter dated April 1st? Cheesy

I bet his 'two cars' story was 'Yes, one had a little oval back window, the other had a bigger window and flowery roof'...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
beatnik beetle

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

oh..this could be interesting.....
deano

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 16:15:05 pm »

Actually, this story goes way back, to the time the Inch Pincher was solid orange, so both cars were nearly identical, and were (supposely, switch at certain local events); one legal weight, and other, well, less.... I know it is far fetched, but we'll see what Darrell says... The Schleys were stunned to say the least!

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 18:45:21 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 19:30:27 pm »

Mmmm  Huh i will wait the next episode

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fritter

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 21:18:52 pm »

Yea, there are two, we know.  The one in all the black and white pics from the 60s, and the one Russell Ritchie owns.   Grin Grin Grin

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Russell

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 22:39:49 pm »

Actually, this story goes way back, to the time the Inch Pincher was solid orange, so both cars were nearly identical, and were (supposely, switch at certain local events); one legal weight, and other, well, less.... I know it is far fetched, but we'll see what Darrell says... The Schleys were stunned to say the least!

Typical americans always cheating........
Yea, there are two, we know.  The one in all the black and white pics from the 60s, and the one Russell Ritchie owns.   Grin Grin Grin

Exactly, theres also two lightening bugs the schleys one and the faster one, mine !

Best Regards

Russell
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:37:30 am »

The name" Schley "is spelled with a capitol " S"   EXAMPLE: The Schleys car is not a fake....     Grin               
deano

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:11:41 am »

Okay, both the Schley brothers and Darrell Vittone read this letter and came to the same conclusion, no cigar. According to Darrell, they had more than enough to keep them busy trying to keep the Inch Pincher 1 in parts and on the track. And after breaking several Porsche transaxles, Joe was about to pull the plug on the whole thing due to the high cost of keeping it running. No way could they have banked and worked on two similiar cars at the same time, even if one was top secret. So, there was not two cars at the same time. His statement that the Inch Pincher 1 had crashed in '67 was also not true. Breaking the dyno at 150hp, didn't happen. So, no new chapters to add at this time, sorry.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 14:06:53 pm »

The name" Schley "is spelled with a capitol " S"   EXAMPLE: The Schleys car is not a fake....     Grin              

Roll Eyes
Now that there, that's just funny ...
 Wink
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 17:11:39 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 14:08:52 pm »

The name" Schley "is spelled with a capitol " S"   EXAMPLE: The Schleys car is not a fake....     Grin               

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 22:14:53 pm »

RESPECT!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Russell

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 23:27:17 pm »

Roll Eyes
Now that there, that's just funny ...
 Wink

I agree very funny and not fake either.... LOL

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 17:01:20 pm »

I just received a letter from a friend, of an Empi employee, who worked with Dean Lowry for years, both at Empi and later at DDS. His story (now that he has passed away), get this, there were TWO Inch Pincher One cars.... I am sending this letter off to Darrell Vittone, and we'll see what he says...
here's the other one  Grin Grin

cedric

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 19:29:09 pm »

Hey Russel,
Mabey youre faster at the track with no time.....because you red light it....lol
Russell

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 20:23:30 pm »

I think the inchPincher 1 shell still exists and is currently in a container on the outskirts of Mexico city...... I'm trying to get it moved into the USA so I can ship it home...... It is/was an oval but as we know and from the photos the rear window has been cut out rather badly, both rear quarters are almost non existent......   Grin

Deano, can you try and confirm either way if anyone knows if the inch pincher ever had a roof swap Huh?

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 20:28:02 pm »

I think the inchPincher 1 shell still exists and is currently in a container on the outskirts of Mexico city...... I'm trying to get it moved into the USA so I can ship it home...... It is/was an oval but as we know and from the photos the rear window has been cut out rather badly, both rear quarters are almost non existent......   Grin

Deano, can you try and confirm either way if anyone knows if the inch pincher ever had a roof swap Huh?
;-)

simon uk

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 20:30:26 pm »

Russell, can you tell us the story of how this shell has been identified?
Fritter

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 23:25:28 pm »

Wow, cool Russell!   Shocked

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
kaferdave

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 17:26:36 pm »

Hey Deano-

As you remember, I spent a lot of time with Joe before he passed away (remember? "The Bird is the Word"   Cool) and he and Helen had me to their home outside Ocala, FL, a few times...I talked to Joe  a LOT about the Inch Pincher 1 and 2, and he never mentioned anything about there being TWO Inch Pincher 1's, and I think Joe would have known... he kept a pretty close eye on what was going on at Economotors and 520 Roberta...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 17:28:24 pm by kaferdave » Logged
deano

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 17:51:58 pm »

From everything I have seen or heard, the IP1 only had its rear window replaced and not the 1/4s or front glass (they remained early '56/small). I do know that Pancho sold the Inch Pincher One (body) and it is now chopped. So, you now have a '56 body, with a '59 rear window, chopped, somewhere in Mexico City. Should be easy to spot, right?

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: