The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 22:19:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lee Leighton Oval at Arizona Bug-Run 2 in fall of 1984
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Lee Leighton Oval at Arizona Bug-Run 2 in fall of 1984  (Read 13474 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: January 25, 2010, 02:01:42 am »

Of all the events we promoted at FIREBIRD INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY, from January of 1984 until I stopped promoting in 2005, some of my favorite events were the early ones where there was still a plentiful supply of the early drag cars in attendance.

Pictured below is a shot of Lee Leighton in the famous red oval now owned by Russell Ritchie.  This was at Arizona Bug-Run 2 in the fall of 1984.  The shot is featured in the January 1985 copy of VW Trends that covered our event.  Many other notables were in attendance too, including Roger Crawford in the old Bad Company 67.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:21 am »

Cool picture Rick.  That brings back a bunch of memories as Bug-Run2 was my first ever VW event.  Boy how the time flies....!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
rick m

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 17:34:42 pm »

Donny B,

I was thinking about this being the event you cut your teeth on. Sure makes me think about how long has passed. That was 25+ years ago. Boy are we old...but at least we are still having fun!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 19:31:13 pm »

I sure miss the trips we've taken together.  Not just the cruises either.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
rick m

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 19:44:21 pm »

Donny B,

How is the new motor combo working?  I am buttoning up my 2275 and getting ready to fit the new stuff into my engine compartment. Hoped to have it for the show in Feb but time does not permit it. Will definitely have the chop road worthy for Classic and other big events.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 19:58:57 pm »

We just got it the car Saturday.  I still have a lot to do.  My part time job keeps getting in the way.  If the weather would just co-operate I would make more progress. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 20:03:28 pm »

rick here're more from the event  Wink
not only bad company  ,also there was sum fum , the bergs , mike smith

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
rick m

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 20:11:03 pm »

Great additional shots from that same issue. Thanks for posting them.  If I remember right, Lloyd Moshier (Little Giant Killer Dragster) won the overall event and commented about how his family always attended with him accept this one time when he won the whole thing.  These shots bring back memories of my early years of promoting.

Thanks for the posts.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 20:31:11 pm »

I went to the finals at Bug Run #1 and won one of the two quick 16 car fields, for the overall finals it was Mark V. who works at Bergs, he was the overall winner.

They were defiantly fun events!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 21:58:34 pm by Dominick Luppino » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 21:19:27 pm »

here' we go for those who haven't the vw trends  Wink
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 21:21:08 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 21:22:09 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 22:49:03 pm »

and here's bug run I

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 22:52:02 pm »

Wink

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 23:25:23 pm »

Thanks for the article, its hard to believe that was over 26 years ago!!

Time flys when your having fun!
Russell

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 00:31:05 am »

1st time ive see a picture of Radical Rod racing......... very cool.

Best Regards

Russell
rick m

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 02:32:25 am »

Thanks Speedwell.  Dominick is being very humble.  His car was a killer performer from the time it was the DRAGONSLAYER on carbs until it's emergence as one fast turbo car.  A lot of great cars and records were made at our early events. Dave Perkins made one of his fastest runs in his early pan car at early events in the mid nines.  Pat Nelson, in his orange turbo car would consistently run 9.70s. 

Chris Bubetz killed the turbo car records at our event in the early years. I will have to dig up the picture that Dean Kirsten or someone took of Bubetz on his sub 9 second run. That car was incredible to watch run. All these guys, Dominick, Dave Perkins, Pat Nelson, Ron Townsend, the BERGS (33 events attending), and many others, really made the event fun for me as well as many who attended.

One of my all time favorite exhibitions was Cory McClenathan and Bob Godfreys first ever side by side VW funny car match race.  So many great memories and things happened.

I have to agree with Dominick. I cannot believe it was 26 years back for the early Bug-Runs, until I see the gray, no white hair, emerging on the sides of my head!

Rick Mortensen
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:36:27 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:07 am »

Thanks Speedwell.  Dominick is being very humble.  His car was a killer performer from the time it was the DRAGONSLAYER on carbs until it's emergence as one fast turbo car.  A lot of great cars and records were made at our early events. Dave Perkins made one of his fastest runs in his early pan car at early events in the mid nines.  Pat Nelson, in his orange turbo car would consistently run 9.70s. 

Chris Bubetz killed the turbo car records at our event in the early years. I will have to dig up the picture that Dean Kirsten or someone took of Bubetz on his sub 9 second run. That car was incredible to watch run. All these guys, Dominick, Dave Perkins, Pat Nelson, Ron Townsend, the BERGS (33 events attending), and many others, really made the event fun for me as well as many who attended.

One of my all time favorite exhibitions was Cory McClenathan and Bob Godfreys first ever side by side VW funny car match race.  So many great memories and things happened.

I have to agree with Dominick. I cannot believe it was 26 years back for the early Bug-Runs, until I see the gray, no white, hair emerging on the sides of my head!

Rick Mortensen

Ok Rick you havn't seen me for a long time, lots of gray hair, but there is still hair!

Hope everything is going great for you!
Matt H

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 03:34:50 am »

I always heard that Mark V's car was the stuff back in the day. I had lunch with Bill S over the summer and he had some great stories about that cat.
rick m

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:05 am »

Hey Dominick...good to hear from you.  I guess you are right about still being able to have fun.  As long as we can still enjoy the hobby, regardless of age, things are good.

Matt,  Mark's green 67 was a killer car. I think I have an old shot of his car leaving the line like one of the BERGS cars. I will have to dig it out and post it.   I still remember him telling me that it was ripped off (Stolen) by someone. That was bad news when I heard about it.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 16:34:08 pm »

Hey Dominick...good to hear from you.  I guess you are right about still being able to have fun.  As long as we can still enjoy the hobby, regardless of age, things are good.

Matt,  Mark's green 67 was a killer car. I think I have an old shot of his car leaving the line like one of the BERGS cars. I will have to dig it out and post it.   I still remember him telling me that it was ripped off (Stolen) by someone. That was bad news when I heard about it.

Rick M

Mark's car was recovered and sold. I know who has it now Grin
rick m

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 16:37:15 pm »

I posted a good shot of it here on the lounge...He was launching it really hard.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Dave Galassi

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 19:35:15 pm »

I always heard that Mark V's car was the stuff back in the day. I had lunch with Bill S over the summer and he had some great stories about that cat.

It was.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 22:51:25 pm »

Wink

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 00:37:45 am »

Thanks!  That was a good car, won allot or races with it and it was the car that almost killed me after I repainted it
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 05:27:48 am »

It was.
11:50's @ 115mph,  VW head, 90.5 bore,  steel 44mm valve , Full weight... IMO the meanest N/A street car ever... It took the DRKC crowd a long time to equal that performance & they used much more to do it.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
58vw

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:32 am »

It was.
11:50's @ 115mph,  VW head, 90.5 bore,  steel 44mm valve , Full weight... IMO the meanest N/A street car ever... It took the DRKC crowd a long time to equal that performance & they used much more to do it.

agreed Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Eric Justus

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 04:42:04 am »

Hey Fabs...is that the Precision Bug Builders bug in that shot doin the wheel stand (red bug, pic from the stands)? As in, Superman Racing (if anyone knows that reference)

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 17:26:32 pm »

Hey Fabs...is that the Precision Bug Builders bug in that shot doin the wheel stand (red bug, pic from the stands)? As in, Superman Racing (if anyone knows that reference)
yes eric that's the car i remember you asked me this before  Grin , here's the links  Wink precision bug builders

Wink
fabs

Eric Justus

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 17:34:28 pm »

Thanks, Fabs!

P.S. Thats my dad, Gary, in that thread. When that race happened, I was only 2.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 17:37:51 pm by Eric Justus » Logged

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 18:19:58 pm »

Thanks, Fabs!

P.S. Thats my dad, Gary, in that thread. When that race happened, I was only 2.  Wink
Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: