The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:59:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Carb rebuilding: DIY, or pay someone else?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Carb rebuilding: DIY, or pay someone else?  (Read 3279 times)
bugnut68

« on: January 26, 2010, 19:23:02 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how many folks here rebuild their own carbs?  I'm debating whether to go through my own DRLA 45's or to save the coin and have them done by pro like Art Thraen.  I guess what would really shape my decision is learning whether or not it's pretty straightforward or whether there are a number of pitfalls that await me.  I can say these carbs aren't seized, the shafts feel nice and tight, and they are very clean.  I already have rebuild kids, but just want some insight before I go to the trouble of attempting it myself.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 20:04:41 pm »

I vote to have them made by a pro. Gabriel aka Alfa1750 from Italy is my carb guru, but I´m located in Europe.
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 21:05:22 pm »

I vote to have them made by a pro. Gabriel aka Alfa1750 from Italy is my carb guru, but I´m located in Europe.

Yeah, that's who I bought my rebuild kits from... great deal and awesome shipping time!  I was very impressed. 

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 21:26:33 pm »

He does a great work on carbs too. He restored IDFs you would throw to trash to factory new mechanical and visual condition in no time :-)

I believe it is easier for me to earn 12O EUR (that´s what he charges for a set of two carbs) in my job then spending time with work on carbs I´m not familiar with.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 23:11:47 pm »

Do it yourself. Save money and most importantly LEARN. Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 23:25:57 pm »

You are going to have to take them apart sooner or later to blow out passage ways, change jets, and re-adjust and change float heights, so you might as well take one apart and do it yourself and use the other one as a reference in case you get lost.
bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 00:12:23 am »

All good points, guys.  The way I see it, the carbs are something I can work on at my kitchen table during these cold, gruesome Lake County months.  Need to get a copy of Dell tech book and start going to town, I reckon.  May have to have a local shop soak the bodies and blow 'em out, though, as I don't have an air compressor... one tool I kick myself for not having in my garage.  Roll Eyes

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 00:33:10 am »

Don´t get me wrong, I know how my carbs work, how do I tune them and how to take them apart, also I know how things are affected by changing jets and venturies, I read Dell book back and forth and I do have a carbtune balancer. I just find a way of sending an old greamy set of carbs to a pro to be refurbished  as a more economical to me at this time.

My kitchen:
 Smiley
Hotrodvw

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:46 am »

Ryan, I would tackle it yourself.  It's not hard, just take your time, take pics along the way if need be, etc...  Get a can of carb cleaner, strip them down soak them over night, wash them and reassemble.  If you decide to have them gone thru later on, cool, but save your money for getting that engine built and running!   Wink 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 01:43:06 am »

So you have dealt with him before? He usually has rebuilt DRLAs for around $550 and I have been thinking of getting a set from him.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:37 am »

Yes, sure, do it and you won´t be disappointed. 550USD for a set of professionaly rebuilt carbs is nice by my opinion. One important thing is he can deal with damages on the carbs which are beyond possibilities of "kitchen engine builder" like I me. So damaged needle seats, twisted throttle shafts etc. He does Webers, Dells and Solex carbs too (either Type 1 or Type IV). Your carbs will arrive in perfect inside and out condition, with barrels synced. Just let him know the jetting you need. He is also very quick I can get a set of carbs repaired in ten days including shipping across Europe.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: