The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:15:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BURNOUTS at Volkswagen of America Headquarters in Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BURNOUTS at Volkswagen of America Headquarters in Michigan  (Read 4457 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: January 26, 2010, 07:44:24 am »

The first GENE BERG MEMORIAL CRUISE had a bunch of highlights for those of us who participated and attended.  One of the fun parts of that first cruise in memory of GENE BERG was the crazy idea we had of doing burnouts in our Cal Lookers right on the doorsteps of the Volkswagen of America Headquarters.

There were some that were a little hesitant to try it so I rolled out my 67 street car first and lined it up by the sidewalk and proceeded to do the first one. Clyde Berg laid down a little water for me but unfortunately my line lock did not lock the front tires and I could not get full advantage of heating up the tires properly.  To see my best burnout ever, go to OCEAN STREET VIDEOS and see the one I did at the April Bug-O-Rama in 1997 (a year after these pictures were taken).

Anyway, I managed to lay down about 40+ ft of rubber and the crowd started gathering around for the next showing. WHO WOULD IT BE?  Gary Berg!

Gary, who had since sold the BERGLAR to Rich Zavala some time before, was given the keys by RICH to show the crowd what the BERGLAR could do. Gary, being no stranger to big horsepower burnouts, did not disappoint.  He had Sally Eberle, the public relations manager for Volkswagen of America, jump in the BERGLAR on the first go and ride with him.  In typical BERG fashion, the BURNOUT was second to none. Check out the shots of my tire marks and the incredible (two) patches that Gary left from his exhibition.

We probably broke every driving rule for the VWOA Headquarters but the show of horsepower was legendary and one those in attendance will never forget.

Rick M

G

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:09:04 am »

awesome burnout!
those cn36 pirelli tyres surely lost some thread there Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
rick m

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 15:44:43 pm »

Gary literally left two imprints in the asphalt drive.  You could say that a BERG left a lasting impression on VWOA headquarters!  :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 16:02:16 pm »

I was there that day and witnessed the whole event.
I was also given a ride in the Berglar !
 Grin
rick m

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 16:37:58 pm »

Hey Richard,

I remember us meeting and talking.  Good to see you here on the lounge.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 20:58:18 pm »

AWESOME pics ... aah the good old days!
Wish I could've been there.

Hard to believe the Ocean Street thing was that long ago ... not so very long though.

Thanks for posting.
Tom Funnell

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Hotrodvw

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:27:25 am »

I wanna do it!!!!!!! 

I would however like to see these pictures in a larger format, you know.......desk top wall paper size.   Grin

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
rick m

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:25 am »

There are limitations on the posting size of the photos on these sites.  Trust me... they are awesome larger too!  :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
volksnut

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 03:24:01 am »

Rick, love those pictures of yours...and the story's are cool too...
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:54 am »

I was just watching that Ocean Street Video the other day... the announcer was all excited... "I hope he burns them down to the cord!  What the... WHERE'D HE GO?   All RIIIGHHHHTTTTTTTTT!" Grin  That WAS a hell of a burnout, though, I gotta say :-D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: