The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Sunroof Graft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sunroof Graft  (Read 4643 times)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:57 am »

Greetings!
Not sure how "Cal-Look" this question is but here goes: I'm looking for information on grafting In a two fold ragtop sunroof. After three long years in hibernation, I'm ready to get back to my project Oval. One thing on my list is to graft in a sunroof section. I already have a sunroof donor car and have not cut on anything yet.
I'm looking for practical advise, links to others who have done the same and documented the work, tips, even magazine articles (pretty sure Hot VW's did a tech how to some years ago).
The thought of cutting on my Oval is a bit scary but I'm willing to do it armed with the proper knowledge.
Thanks in advance!  Grin
karl h

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:54:52 am »

i have done it twice, to an oval and to a 67. its not that hard
in my buildthread there are some pics and explanations
see below
if you hae any questions, feel free to ask

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:01:08 am »

Here you go

http://www.volksworld.com/blog/steves-blog/cutting-a-hole-in-the-roof-of-a-1961-beetle/

http://www.volksworld.com/blog/steves-blog/the-saga-continues-1961-beetle-ragtop-project/
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 21:23:18 pm »

there is always more than one way to skin a cat, or so the saying goes...  Grin

with that said, if you have a full roof clip from A pillar to C pillar... the preferred way is to peel the rail gutter back and change the roof skin

this is going to give you a more clean / factory correct type of graft with allot less body work to do... here is an example we just did on a type 3 sunroof

a metal sliding sunroof is a little more involved with adding the 4 drains in the pillars but will give you the overall idea...

Anthony / ISP WEST

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 21:26:03 pm by PIMPPRIDE » Logged
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 15:09:36 pm »

I cut mine in. I cut a hole in the old roof, juggled the edges, and then spot welded the new roof in. After that i lead loaded it. Went really well. Smiley

http://www.dudesbeetle.com/restoration.html#ragtop

Dude  Cool

Iryanu

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 15:31:31 pm »

I cut mine in. I cut a hole in the old roof, juggled the edges, and then spot welded the new roof in. After that i lead loaded it. Went really well. Smiley

http://www.dudesbeetle.com/restoration.html#ragtop

Dude  Cool

Some very nice work on that site. Two thumbs up!  Grin
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 15:52:32 pm »

Karl, Paul, Anthony & Dude
The thread links / pic's have been most helpful!
What I've been most concerned with is proper measurement & placement of the sunroof section along with welding techniques such as spot, mig, tig, etc. Also I wasn't sure if I should do an overlay or try to make an exact fit and butt weld. My other big concern was installing the reinforcing plates along the front. For the record, the donor car is a '62. As said before, I have not yet cut on either car.
Anthony, I had a pro body man who specializes in 356 Porsche restoration, whom I trust dearly, recommend the same method as you described. Trouble is, I cant afford him and I'm pretty sure I would trash my rain gutters if I attempted the process myself. As usual, your work looks spot-on!

Given my skill level and tools available, an overlay with "joggled" edge then mig weld is looking like an option.
I'm still open to ideas / links / opinions.
Thanks!!
-DR Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 16:24:17 pm »

Section it in windshield to rear window, then all you have to worry about is centering side to side. I wouldn't flange/overlay it, seems like a rust trap to me.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:12:30 am »

Section it in windshield to rear window, then all you have to worry about is centering side to side. I wouldn't flange/overlay it, seems like a rust trap to me.

I think that would be the best, however, a '58 & later roof will be too short in the oval. it will need to be butt-welded behind the windshield. I measured an oval ragtop for Frenchy and posted pics here . . . http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,22423.msg302379.html#msg302379

And you GOTTA CHECK THIS OUT . . . very impressive!!!! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=trp&start=0

Hope it helps ya Dave and please keep us posted on your project, okay?
Mark

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:16 am »

You may also want to talk to Bill Schwimmer and Dave Mason.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

Dave,

Did you get my emails? I sent em to both addresses?

Dude  Cool

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 15:27:46 pm »

Dave,

Did you get my emails? I sent em to both addresses?

Dude  Cool

Yes! Got it!!
Thank you  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: