The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 13:42:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VDO Series 1 Speedometer Help..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VDO Series 1 Speedometer Help..  (Read 2886 times)
plasticblack

« on: June 17, 2014, 08:17:54 am »

I have a VDO series 1 Speedo with a broken glass.

Does anyone know how to remove the Chrome Bezel and dismantle the clock please.

I'm not seeing a simple solution right now and forcing the chrome ring looks like it will break/snap without much pressure?

Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 20:28:21 pm »

I've taken apart and re assembled stock VDO speedos before. You have to pry around the back of the chrome ring to remove it with a tool like a spudger for opening laptops, etc. There are business that specialize in fixing and recalibrating speedos, etc., for trucks so that would another option.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 15:07:08 pm »

Speedy Cables (http://www.speedycables.com/) have rebuilt/ modified etc gauges for me in the past.

Bit of a long turn around time, about 4-5 week i seem to remember, but they did a great job. Smiley

Dude  Cool

volksnut

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 17:24:18 pm »

Or try North Hollywood Speedometer, great people
 http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 23:44:19 pm »

Practice on a stock speedo first. You will see that it's not difficult to take one apart. Has anyone used a shop to re calibrate their speedo to different sized tires?

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 21:48:14 pm »

Is there a "Special tool" to refit the bezels... I mean to bend the edge over again correctly  Undecided Huh

I am working on one of my VDO Jet cockpit gauges/clock at the moment Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 00:07:56 am »

I worked for VDO locally for a while.
A small flat blade screwdriver with blunted off edges is what I use to remover the bezel. Work slowly around and gently pry the edge off the case.
We always used the round blunt handle end of a screwdriver to roll around the bezel when re-fitting.
If you feel the need to clean while it's apart, then do so gently with a soft lint-free cloth........gently.

Calibrating a mechanical speedo involves checking the "count" over a set distance, putting the speedo on a calibrated drive using the count recorded, then adjusting the mechanical spring tension of the meter windings until they are accurate. Inconsistencies high to low deflection can be adjusted by "tweaking" the magnetic cup that surrounds the windings.
So there you go!
 Wink
plasticblack

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 19:26:58 pm »

I worked for VDO locally for a while.
A small flat blade screwdriver with blunted off edges is what I use to remover the bezel. Work slowly around and gently pry the edge off the case.
We always used the round blunt handle end of a screwdriver to roll around the bezel when re-fitting.
If you feel the need to clean while it's apart, then do so gently with a soft lint-free cloth........gently.

Calibrating a mechanical speedo involves checking the "count" over a set distance, putting the speedo on a calibrated drive using the count recorded, then adjusting the mechanical spring tension of the meter windings until they are accurate. Inconsistencies high to low deflection can be adjusted by "tweaking" the magnetic cup that surrounds the windings.
So there you go!
 Wink

Now that's what I was looking for. Grin

Great Information Thanks.   Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: