The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:08:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look Rubber Quiz
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cal Look Rubber Quiz  (Read 9801 times)
deano

« on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:13 am »

I would like to hear from you guys about your experiences with various brands of Cal Look Rubber for the sedan. I am interested in hearing about how well they fit, how good are the "seams" and generally, how the finished installation came out. I would also like to hear of who all makes sedan window rubber w/o trim. Thanks for any feedback.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:55:57 am »

Although difficult to find, I suggest genuine VW "standard" model window rubber.
deano

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:52 am »

Although difficult to find, I suggest genuine VW "standard" model window rubber.

Interesting, so where would one find such an animal?

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
edcraig

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:26:30 am »

Dean,

The old Auto Haus window rubber was very good in fit and quality .  From memory it was produced by Kirkhill Rubber in Brea.  I'm not sure if they still produce this product under any current brand name.  You might check with them.

Ed
deano

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:47:38 am »

I am familiar with Kirkhill, as they did, or do supply to WCM. They are only a rubber supplier, using your tooling. Hard to say where the old Auto Haus tooling is, but it may have cloned into the current Empi product at one time, but I would imagine it is now gone overseas.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
70slooker

hello

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:50:02 am »

my friend got a set of "standard" rubber for his OVAL from wolfsburg west now that being said his car is a canadian standard with a very old respray when we pulled out the old standard/trimless factory rubber to install his new ones he is into the patina thing so we just reinstalled using the new rubber i am a trained glass tech and they were installed correctly but they did not fit the exact way that the original standard did, the corners were nice the seam was very well done but the lip just does not fill the hole (we can see 1/4' of polar silver then the old black starts) now from what ive heard or read WW rubber was designed around a split window car so perhaps splits used a thinner rubber im not sure, and i dont know if they have a "big window" kit as well i know they sell a split and oval set...

Zündfolge Car Club
Dan Mazur

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:25 am »

West Coast Metric is the company I used 30 years ago.  They still offer stock and Cal Look window rubber.

They guarantee their product and I am using it on my current car.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:54:42 am »

Deano,
We've used many different ones over the years, and although I admit I haven't tried 'em all, WCM is the brand we always go back to.
I would like to try some of the Wolfsburg West, think I have a set right now ... hmmm.
Decisions, decisions ... good luck, I know it will be right.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:00:30 am »

All the ones I've tried are too wide. To prevent the rubber from sucking in on the corners, when putting the rubber on the glass I try to stretch the rubber on the top and bottom towards the corners/sides.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:23:04 am »

Deano,
We've used many different ones over the years, and although I admit I haven't tried 'em all, WCM is the brand we always go back to.
I would like to try some of the Wolfsburg West, think I have a set right now ... hmmm.
Decisions, decisions ... good luck, I know it will be right.
TxT

Some of the parts ordered from Wolfsburg West arrived in WCM boxes!!

Go figure!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
deano

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:42:51 am »

Wolfsburg West does not make a Cal Look style rubber... as far as I know.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:10 am »

You're right, the set I have has trim ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
deano

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:41 am »

I just checked and BBT in Belgium makes a "standard" style of window rubber with no trim. It is different from their "Cal Look" style which has a more rounded shape.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
IP359

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:35 am »

I have an additionnal question.
Which company sell the best quality rubber (with trim or wo for cal look style) : WCM or WW ?
Thanks for your help,
IP

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:14:25 am »

This will age me but the best cal-look rubber I bought to date was back in the '80s from Old Volks Home. It fit perfect! I wish it was still available. The owners name was Robert Raucher. I'm interested in hearing opinions on the cal-look rubber from Germany?? Someone did an article on this and I cant find the mag???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:51:33 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:22 am »

I have WCM on my car I'm very happy with it.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 14:50:13 pm »

Dean,

The old Auto Haus window rubber was very good in fit and quality .  From memory it was produced by Kirkhill Rubber in Brea.  I'm not sure if they still produce this product under any current brand name.  You might check with them.

Ed

Kirkhill is one of my clients and I'm in their factory once a month, working. I'll try to get some information regarding this, next time I'm there. When I managed the Long Beach Auto Haus, many of my customers paid me $20 (big money in the early eighties) to install the Cal Look rubber that we sold, after I'd close the shop... right there in the parking lot. The Auto Haus stuff worked good. Which is what I ran in my car, but I installed many of the W.C.M. ones; equally as good.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
deano

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 18:09:12 pm »

My issuse with this type of rubber are, one, how well does it fit around the corners, and does it suck in. Two, how well did the factory glue the ends together and can you notice the seam easily. And three, how nice is the finish surface of the rubber. Is it smooth and shiney, or rough?

When I built my original VW Blue '67 back in '72ish, I removed the chrome trim from the OEM rubber to get that dechromed look, open groove and all. I am almost tempted to go back to that combination.

On the subject of Kirkhill, I have window rubber made for the early Ford Anglia, so I am involved with this subject a bit more. I own my own tooling and have a half dozen different dies at another (smaller) rubber supplier in southern California. I only order rubber by the 500-ft rolls, while the VW industry buy thousands of feet!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 18:16:09 pm by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 18:32:53 pm »

let me know if you found a set for 61  richard   Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:24 am »

I recently completed a set for my 1962 Standard.
 Grin
Bruce

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 07:06:21 am »

For late cars, the VW dealer in Mexico will sell you Cal-Look rubber.  You can get 65 and later front and ¼ windows, and 72 and later rear only.  Buy each piece at a time.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 07:53:25 am »

Here are some german options:
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,1210.0.html

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:18 am »

In regards to some of your concerns Dean,  The WCM rubber fits glass great, does not tuck, corners are nice but the seams are large and noticible nicely glued and strong though.  Surface is not too shiney but smooth.   I saw shots today of your car and windows are in what did you go with?

For the sake of saying as well I use Bugpack one piece window scrapers.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:59:40 am »

Status VW in the UK are meant to ahve a good reputation for their rubber seals.  I have no idea where they get them from but here is a link http://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d116.html

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:11 am »

When I built my original VW Blue '67 back in '72ish, I removed the chrome trim from the OEM rubber to get that dechromed look, open groove and all. I am almost tempted to go back to that combination.

If you have access to new o.e.m. stuff, go with that. Nothing beats that great fit and look, in my opinion.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 14:45:28 pm »

That's what I did when I built AssHull's 67. Unfortunately, it was just as wide and "bulbous" as the cal look rubber.

Original rubber had shaped corners, correct? That's probably how they got away with the rubber being narrower that the crap we get today.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:12 am »

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Russell

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 00:15:56 am »

Deano

No offence to any supplier or manufacture, but VW Gasser Garage use rubbers as supplied from Gunter at CSP in Germany, they are excellent, I have already replaced one of Doug Misches seals in the 67 and Dave Rhoads used a set in his 64 to overcome the same problem as you when he had his car repainted, and they are perfect.

I also have used them in my restos and have had no problems at all.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: