The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:39:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Does anyone know the owner of this Drag Bug...now in Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know the owner of this Drag Bug...now in Europe?  (Read 49907 times)
Helge/DFL

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 07:14:37 am »

Mike, the fire extenguishers standing here warm and safe in my shelf. They will come back in the car 2011.

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
LuftsickTero

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 07:37:26 am »

OK, last one and i'll stop boreing you guys . . . . this has been a cool trip down memory lane . . . .  This one's for our fearless former DKK pres.  . . . .

If there is something that you cannot bore us they are the period pictures and stories, if there is more (your car, DKK, events, other cars..) and you have time please do post them  Cool

At that time I was a kid growing up thousands of miles away and the only "contact" were the U.S. magazines we were subscribing, it's just too cool to see those colours, "pro-street paintjobs with graphics" etc.

from Sweden two years ago:

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Georg/DFL

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:37 am »

OK, last one and i'll stop boreing you guys . . . . this has been a cool trip down memory lane . . . .  This one's for our fearless former DKK pres.  . . . .

If there is something that you cannot bore us they are the period pictures and stories, if there is more (your car, DKK, events, other cars..) and you have time please do post them  Cool

Second that! Mike, it's so cool to see pictures of SF when it was a street car. Gives a lot more life to the car. Please don't stop posting old photos and telling us old stories!
Thanks for taking time,

Georg

BTW, SF looks the same from the outside, but Helge redid more or less everything underneath.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:21:37 am by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Ole

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:21 am »

Great shots of a great car!

Thanks for sharing!

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 16:46:23 pm »

x3

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Udo

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 20:08:27 pm »

I think those pictures are the best christmas present you could give to Helge :-)
I have a video from 1989 when the car raced at german bugin Giebelstadt . May be i get it on the pc and post it

Udo

funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 20:29:25 pm »

Thanks guys,  glad to hear you are enjoying!

I'll put some more up soon.

Oh,  . . . . .  MERRY CHRISTMAS Helge !!
Helge/DFL

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 20:36:09 pm »

You are right Udo. Thanks Mike. Santa comes early this year to me.

`62 ragtop Beetle
Georg/DFL

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 09:33:00 am »

Mike, I just wondered why and where you got the nickname "wild child"? Can you tell us that story?

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Felix/DFL

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 19:17:36 pm »

What an awesome thread  Grin
Thank ya Mike and don`t stop telling those good storys and showing pic`s from back then!

I totally dig SF. Everytime I see this car I discover more cool and complex details...

Here are some pic`s from the mild restoration Helge did to the car.

His main intention was to leave the shell how it was.With alle the little scratches and here and there and dents (race scars).
The underneath of the car was carefully restored.The overall condition of the car was very nice if you mind that it was unrestored.
Helge really wanted (and did) to keep everything how it was back then when the car was running in US.
Some club members me included always teased Helge about the very furry front carpet and that a race car doesen`t need carpet up front.
But Helge whitstanded (luckily) our necking. He leaved the carpet as the car was running back then WITH the carpet. You get the idea...
On many other details Helge even walked the old/original way and only did some mild updates. A real cal-look nerd as many of us  Wink

Helge is running his own parts buisness now. So give him a call if you need some parts or are searching for some special parts.
And check out the coulor sheme of his website and buisness cards:

http://www.helge-ohmes.de/

Have fun,
Felix
Helge/DFL

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »

May 1989

`62 ragtop Beetle
Helge/DFL

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:17 am »

hot VWs advert.

`62 ragtop Beetle
Udo

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2010, 11:00:28 am »

11,7 so you know what you have to do  Wink  Driving , driving .... Remember Karin did 11,5 this year with the black 67

Udo

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 15:47:15 pm »

Very cool dash in Stage Fright.  He still has some of our early Phoenix Bug-O-Rama dash plaques in it. Makes me nostalgic!

Rick Mortensen
Phoenix Bug-O-Rama Founder

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2011, 15:30:54 pm »

Found this one on the net.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Helge/DFL

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2011, 13:29:50 pm »

this was my first run with SF in Mantorp/Sweden. 14.something....you see i had to much stagefright by myself to push the pedal down...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/clZRVUPrcu0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/clZRVUPrcu0</a>

`62 ragtop Beetle
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 19:50:33 pm »

Mike, I just wondered why and where you got the nickname "wild child"? Can you tell us that story?

Hi George,  I got the nickname from Jeff Shearer (the guy who painted Stage Fright) when I was a kid.  I was about eleven years old and Jeff was about six years older than me and he used to date my sister.  I was into BMX bikes at the time, and every time he would see me, I would be doing wheelies and stuff so he started calling me that.  I had Jeff paint my bike which was really cool!  It was whit in the front then faded to candy apple red in the back.  Dennis Jones did some pinstriping on it and I anodized all the components red.  I have some pictures somewhere, but I did find the old helmet which Jeff also painted to match.  Here's the visor . . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 19:58:35 pm »

Speaking of old helmets,  here ya go Helge . . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2011, 19:59:40 pm »

. . . . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 20:00:40 pm »

. . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 20:01:25 pm »

. . . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 20:02:59 pm »

. . . . . And, the show sign
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 20:04:21 pm »

. . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2011, 20:05:17 pm »

. . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 20:06:41 pm »

Jeff was an airbrush artist, these were some shirts he did for us . . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 20:11:09 pm »

. . . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 20:11:56 pm »

. . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2011, 20:13:28 pm »

. . . . .  Hats, . . .
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:33 am »

Oops!  Your right Mike.  My Bug-O-Rama sign was well out in front of the starting line lights.   Good catch.  Glad to see you are still racing. We enjoyed having you and the Stage Fright car at our events back in the day.  In fact, I think one year (if I remember right) we awarded the car "Best Looking Drag Car" as well.  You looked a lot younger back then. I fact, we all did.   :-)

Rick M

Yep, you are correct Rick.  I think we won a total of five "best appearing" awards.  1988 was when we got the one from you guys at the phoenix Bug-O-Rama.  Yep, I still have 'em! . . . .  I am (and was) very proud of those awards because the car was still winning them after years of racing.  "Stage Fright" appeared on the cover and was featured in Chrome & Flames magazine in May of 1989, five years after the car was built and raced!
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:36 am »

A few others I found . . . .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: