The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:20:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Does anyone know the owner of this Drag Bug...now in Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know the owner of this Drag Bug...now in Europe?  (Read 49902 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:47 am »

I had someone email me from the forum months back about pictures of this yellow drag bug they bought and I told them I had more pictures of it. If you know the person, can you let me know or let them know I found more shots of their car. I will email them a higher resolution copy for their scrap book.

One of the shots is a nice one from an early Phoenix Bug-O-Rama where they are racing Jack Sachette.  The funny thing is that Sachette put a light on the previous owner bad!!! The FIAT is lifting the wheels and the other car has not moved yet! [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:59:35 am »

Helge, who works for CSP in Germany... Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:34 am »

Also check  www.dflvwclub.com  please.
Helge/DFL

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 13:08:34 pm »

WOW! Thanks Rick! I can`t tell you how much I love to see these old picture of Stage Fright. Is the picture below (hot VWs scan) shoot at the same event just from the other side of the track?

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
rick m

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 15:43:15 pm »

Helge,

I lost your email address from our last correspondence.  If you email me, I will send a better resolution picture for you.  You will have to unzip it to open it but you will be able to print out a better copy of it than these reduced resolution web shots. 

I was glad to find these. I have one more I found from BAKERSFIELD but cannot remember if I already sent that one of Stage Fright.  Let me know and I will get them off to you once I get your email address.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
JS

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 22:28:22 pm »

What a GREAT CAR!!!  Shocked One of my personal favourites!   Grin

Signature.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 03:38:21 am »

I remember when Stage Fright was a white street car in DKK. Mike Huh cannot remember his last name. I think he was from Whittier.  He was in about '82 or so. Maybe somebody else will chime in. It evolved into a race car in the mid 80's. It's cool that its still around   Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 05:58:26 am »

Was it Cory _______..? Huh....... or Steve Wilkerson...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Helge/DFL

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:57:51 am »

his name is Michael Irwin. He is still in racing. He runs hisown top alcohol funny-car "Strage Behavior" and a dragster for Dan Cox Racing. Have a look on the dragster, the colors look very simular to Stage Fright, or is this just my fantasy? I tried to contact Michael several times, but be did not answer. Some years ago we send us some emails. Even talked on the phone one evening. He told me about the time when the car was white, that he still have all the photos and that the show-sign that he used on car shows is still hanging at the wall in his office. I think, I will try again to contact Michael.

`62 ragtop Beetle
Helge/DFL

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:55 am »

oh, here is the link to Michael Irwin Racing
http://www.michaelirwinracing.com/

`62 ragtop Beetle
tomi g

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 21:37:19 pm »

Hi,
Here’s the picture of the yellow drag with Cory McClenathan behind the wheel while winning the Bug-In 26  x/gas and top gas eliminator awards. The article was featured in the vw trends winter issue back in 1981.
tomi
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Helge/DFL

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 21:46:54 pm »

Hi Tom,

thanks for the scan, but that is not Stage Fright.

`62 ragtop Beetle
tomi g

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 22:04:01 pm »

if I take a closer look  hm... sorry!
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 02:15:47 am »

I had someone email me from the forum months back about pictures of this yellow drag bug they bought and I told them I had more pictures of it. If you know the person, can you let me know or let them know I found more shots of their car. I will email them a higher resolution copy for their scrap book.

One of the shots is a nice one from an early Phoenix Bug-O-Rama where they are racing Jack Sachette.  The funny thing is that Sachette put a light on the previous owner bad!!! The FIAT is lifting the wheels and the other car has not moved yet! [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Rick Mortensen

I hate to have to correct you Rick, but  Sachette did not drill me on the tree.  We are at the 60' clock and I am pulling 2nd. gear (note how low the front end is)  and Jack has not yet come down from the launch. In fact, if you look closely I am ahead.  . . . . He may have left on me but not that bad!!
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 02:22:50 am »

I remember when Stage Fright was a white street car in DKK. Mike Huh cannot remember his last name. I think he was from Whittier.  He was in about '82 or so. Maybe somebody else will chime in. It evolved into a race car in the mid 80's. It's cool that its still around   Bill

WOW !!  Great memory Bill.  You are correct,  the car was white when it was on the street and when I was in DKK.  Jimmy Yowell and I used to come to the meetings at Scooters (Nicks) from Whittier.  Always had to stop at Fullerton Airport to fill up with Av-Gas.  Do yo remember Yowell's car with the black and silver Dick Vale paint job?  . . .   I'll try to put up some pics. of "Stage Fright" for ya Helge.
Gary Justus

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 02:24:07 am »

Man! I loved being there to see that "stuff".... Pretty Cool!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 02:31:44 am »

Mike How the heck are ya!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 03:34:17 am »

Hi Rick . . . Meredith ??  Right??   Good to see your still into the kampfwagens!! 

I am doing well.  Still racing,  I have a funnycar that I have been running for the last ten years on alcohol.  I sold all my alcohol stuff earlier this year and I am now building a nostalgia nitro funnycar.  '77 Trans Am body with a billet Alan Johnson hemi.  I am also driving the "Nitro Fever" nostalgia top fuel dragster.   Check out our website . . . michaelirwinracing.com

It's kind of funny, I got out of the VW because of the escalating cost back in the '80's (heads-up pro sedan full "pro stock" style chassis were nearing $40K)  . . . . now, i'm building a fuel car !!    . . . . . I should have stuck with the V-Dubs!!

My wife and I moved to Northern Ca. in 1990 (influenced by the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's) and are still here.  I took my 13 year old son to Sacramento Raceway earlier this year for his first Bug-O-Rama.  Hard to impress a 13 year old who is wrenching on a top fuel car BUT we were both impressed with some of the #'s the drag cars were putting up on the scoreboards.  The event still packs 'em in, I was amazed.

HOW ARE YOU Huh?
Are you still in So-Cal??
rick m

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:14 am »

Oops!  Your right Mike.  My Bug-O-Rama sign was well out in front of the starting line lights.   Good catch.  Glad to see you are still racing. We enjoyed having you and the Stage Fright car at our events back in the day.  In fact, I think one year (if I remember right) we awarded the car "Best Looking Drag Car" as well.  You looked a lot younger back then. I fact, we all did.   :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 07:32:04 am »

Hi Rick . . . Meredith ??  Right??   Good to see your still into the kampfwagens!! 

I am doing well.  Still racing,  I have a funnycar that I have been running for the last ten years on alcohol.  I sold all my alcohol stuff earlier this year and I am now building a nostalgia nitro funnycar.  '77 Trans Am body with a billet Alan Johnson hemi.  I am also driving the "Nitro Fever" nostalgia top fuel dragster.   Check out our website . . . michaelirwinracing.com

It's kind of funny, I got out of the VW because of the escalating cost back in the '80's (heads-up pro sedan full "pro stock" style chassis were nearing $40K)  . . . . now, i'm building a fuel car !!    . . . . . I should have stuck with the V-Dubs!!

My wife and I moved to Northern Ca. in 1990 (influenced by the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's) and are still here.  I took my 13 year old son to Sacramento Raceway earlier this year for his first Bug-O-Rama.  Hard to impress a 13 year old who is wrenching on a top fuel car BUT we were both impressed with some of the #'s the drag cars were putting up on the scoreboards.  The event still packs 'em in, I was amazed.

HOW ARE YOU Huh?
Are you still in So-Cal??

I'll PM ya so we don't bore everyone!  Wink

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 07:44:03 am »

I'm not everyone.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 07:47:49 am »

I'm not everyone.

OK... so we don't bore anyone!  Wink

Griebel

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 14:30:59 pm »

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PK72ALI-_i0/SFNuFNyaa7I/AAAAAAAABMw/RxH4tP983Ac/s1600-h/Bugrun+2008+023.jpg

http://griebel.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 14:33:10 pm by Griebel » Logged

Instagram: c.griebel
http://www.griebel.blogspot.com
       "BEYOND 4 INCHES"
          MIB,DENMARK
Helge/DFL

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 13:09:36 pm »

80th

`62 ragtop Beetle
Udo

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 20:12:27 pm »

This picture looks like a show of "Johnnys Speed and chrome " . The distributer of the parts in germany shipped the car to europe ...

Udo

vwcab

peter

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 21:34:16 pm »

This picture looks like a show of "Johnnys Speed and chrome " . The distributer of the parts in germany shipped the car to europe ...

Udo
Was that Peter from the Käfer-shop?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Udo

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 22:42:46 pm »

Yes , Peter Kramer - California Käfer Shop -
He did not drive it often but turned the rpms so high that a rod came out of the case ...  Sad
Udo

vwcab

peter

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 00:03:01 am »

Didn't know that he owned "stage freight".What happened with the California Käfershop?(I still have a t-shirt from his shop with the "jsc" logo),out of bussines?
I saw him 2 weeks ago at the Essen motorshow,with a tradestand,selling US-numberplates and toys.

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Udo

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

They closed the door many years ago , Peter is still selling some parts in germany and in the us

Udo

funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 18:22:58 pm »

"Stage Fright" . . . . when I had it white on the street.  Was this way for about two years.  1980-81 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: