The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:21:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Window cleaner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Window cleaner  (Read 9278 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: May 19, 2010, 18:07:20 pm »

I am curious to see what type of cleaner everyone is using to clean your windows on the inside. I have use windex with and without amonia also simple green with no luck. The biggest problem is once I think they are clean they leave a small film of streeks.  Look similar to if you were a smoker and leaves that light fog. If anyone has a better cleaner let me know. No I am not using the back seat anymore LOL.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 18:12:24 pm »

Frenchy,
Have you tried using newspaper for the final cleanup? It absorbs well without leaving streaks. Give it a try.
Hope all is well,
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 18:28:11 pm »

Also gives ya something to read while cleaning

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 18:53:06 pm »

Get a spray bottle and use a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and distilled water (use caution with the spray though since the alcohol will help strip your wax or sealant if you get it on your paint).  The alcohol will removed all of the built up scum from the window.  Then use a microfiber towel.  Follow up with a damp microfiber towel (with water) and a squeegee for windows works great on the inside and outside and no chemicals.

I am not sure if you are talking about a VW but the new cars with vinyl dashes etc gas over time creating a fog on the window.  It has something to do with the plastic heating up and releasing vapors along with the vinyl products used to protect the interior.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 16:31:55 pm by Brandon Sinclair » Logged
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 19:11:04 pm »

I usually go over windows with a clean, dry terry towel or cotton cloth like an old t-shirt after Windex®.  Probably just a cover up for my shoddy initial job.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 19:40:54 pm »

Invisible Glass with newspaper works 10X better than anything else I have tried (vinegar, alcohol, Windex, mixtures of the 3...etc). The absolute worst is that Spray a way crap in the aerosol can. My windows looked worse after using that.
RhoadsVW

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 19:43:44 pm »

I first tryed Glass Plus in the late 70"s.  I went all around the different brands and always had the best luck with Glass plus. Now have been using it for the last 10 years or so.  Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 20:30:29 pm »

I'VE USED WINDOW CLEANER CALLED "SPRAYWAY" FOR MANY YEARS. HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I ALSO WAX MY WINDOWS WHEN I WAX THE CAR.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 00:17:04 am by JOHN CANALES » Logged

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
Bryan67

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 21:15:23 pm »

I`ve used Wax Shop glass cleaner in the past with really good results.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 21:24:15 pm »

Autoglym car glass polish works well

It goes white when applied so is easy to see where you've missed  Cheesy

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=FE&Range=1

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
deano

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 21:35:32 pm »

Sprayway Glass Cleaner is ammonia free and smells great. I have used this since my days in the print shop with Jim Holmes. I think Home Depot sells it.... (white/light blue/dark blue 19 oz. spray can).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 21:51:33 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Cornpanzer

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 21:49:35 pm »

When I was younger, I worked for a commercial glass cleaning company and learned a lot.  Keep in mind that streaks are not a result of bad cleaning, but rather bad drying. That is why a squeegee works so well on big pieces of glass...you arent leaving any residual cleaning solution to air dry.  We only used water with a bit of dish soap -this works as good as anything because it cuts the grease and dries slow.  A few tips:

1) Avoid alcohol since it will accelerate the drying time causing evaporation before you can wipe the glass dry. Guaranteed streaks.
2) Never wash your windows in the sun for the very same reason.  Do your windows in a nice cool garage.
3) Go light on the soap in your water for again the same reason. The more soap, the quicker the water dries and leaves a soap residue.
4) Have two drying cloths (newspaper, paper towels, terry towels....whatever) use the first to dry most of the liquid and then finish off with a second towel that is perfectly dry.
5) if you are using a terry towel make sure that you never use fabric softener on the towel as it kill the absorption ability of the towel.  (this holds true when drying your paint as well)

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 22:43:04 pm »

Water only.

youngnstudly

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 00:50:35 am »

I use windex and it seems to work well for me...I guess. My dad uses a 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and tap water on a rag and that has always worked well on the cars he builds...he always forgets to buy window cleaner at the store and always has thinner and water handy. (Don't use straight thinner!!! I made this mistake at the age of 14 and haven't forgotten it since!!!) Wink.

When I was younger, I worked for a commercial glass cleaning company and learned a lot.  Keep in mind that streaks are not a result of bad cleaning, but rather bad drying. That is why a squeegee works so well on big pieces of glass...you arent leaving any residual cleaning solution to air dry.  We only used water with a bit of dish soap -this works as good as anything because it cuts the grease and dries slow.  A few tips:

1) Avoid alcohol since it will accelerate the drying time causing evaporation before you can wipe the glass dry. Guaranteed streaks.
2) Never wash your windows in the sun for the very same reason.  Do your windows in a nice cool garage.
3) Go light on the soap in your water for again the same reason. The more soap, the quicker the water dries and leaves a soap residue.
4) Have two drying cloths (newspaper, paper towels, terry towels....whatever) use the first to dry most of the liquid and then finish off with a second towel that is perfectly dry.
5) if you are using a terry towel make sure that you never use fabric softener on the towel as it kill the absorption ability of the towel.  (this holds true when drying your paint as well)

Very good points that Dave makes here. It's best to wash the entire car in the shade if you can help it, or in the evening when the sun is not blazing. The 2 dry cloth trick also applies to drying the entire car (2 people makes this work well-about halfway through, the drier cloth goes to the "lead guy" and the "follow up guy" grabs a new dry cloth). Work your way from top to bottom when drying (common sense), dry paint first and remember when waxing chrome and rims  that you should wait for it to leave a "film", then spray your tire "dressing" on (the rag) so the tail of the rag doesn't create streaks in your rims or on chrome as you wipe the tire. Also, wipe windows in side to side or up and down motion on one side of the glass, and use the opposite motion on the opposite side of the glass (so you can see which side has streaks.

Sorry to ramble, but the only reason I know about washing and waxing cars is because my Father has been screaming these instructions at me since I started washing his hot rods and customer cars around the age of 6!  Grin Leave it to a painter to know how to wash and wax a car.

Andy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:22:04 am by youngnstudly » Logged

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:05:01 am »

nothing more irritating ....newspaper is my #1 choice for years/spray distilled water then wipe..simple//or..1 cup alcohol,1 cup distilled water, 1 tablespoon vinegar for hard scum removel (not to be done in direct sunlight)// 0000 steel wool works well but must be sure to wipe or blow away the steel frags as they will stain and or rust....after all said and done i wax the windows with a good non silicone wax or polish to help protect //if going on a road trip do this to the front windshield/windscreen as it will keep bugs and roadscum to a minimum. Microfiber polish cloths ARE the best....and can be used for quite a long time providing you dont cross contaminate with other byproducts.    enjoy..!!
Cornpanzer

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:46:24 am »

Also, wipe windows in side to side or up and down motion on one side of the glass, and use the opposite motion on the opposite side of the glass (so you can see which side has streaks.

Hey, now that is a great idea!  Common sense, but I had never thought of it.  I'm gonna steal it now.  Wink

I can see no reason to ever use lacquer thinner in a light cleaning application - that's just asking for ruined paint or upholstery.   Grin

David
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:49:26 am by Cornpanzer » Logged

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:18 am »

Been detailing cars since I was taught by my dad at six years young. But my fellow DEEK and good friend, Joe, showed me another way that works GREAT... use a clean damp cloth (terry cloth towel or micro-fiber) and a dry cloth. Done deal and no streaks. Of course, you don't want to attempt glass in direct sunlight when it's hot. Less streaking, that way. You can also feel when the towel gets less resistance on the glass... meaning that your streaks are gone.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:56:13 am »

I use Glass Wax.

I also park at Nick's.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:22:39 am »

Thanks to all whooooaaaa I guess this was a good topic.

Frenchy

Doctor window detail

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:06 am »

john....GLASSWAX..!!  ya baby...almost forgot that one. just went into my storage and found an empty can(i knew i saved a can somewhere) and was of course EMPTY..!!! i didnt think they still made that stuff/pick me up a can and ill buy you a dinner at nicks...sound good??   
youngnstudly

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:56 am »

Also, wipe windows in side to side or up and down motion on one side of the glass, and use the opposite motion on the opposite side of the glass (so you can see which side has streaks.

Hey, now that is a great idea!  Common sense, but I had never thought of it.  I'm gonna steal it now.  Wink

I can see no reason to ever use lacquer thinner in a light cleaning application - that's just asking for ruined paint or upholstery.   Grin

David

Did I ever mention that time I used rubbing compound to polish out the paint on a car and (although I was instructed NOT to) I rubbed the nice (original) beige paint on  a car my dad bought to a nice and shiny greyish luster in one spot??? I'll never forget his "explaination" of what I had done:

"IT'S GREY BECAUSE THE PRIMER UNDERNEATH THE PAINT IS GREY!!! YOU RUBBED THROUGH THE PAINT (followed by something along the lines of "gosh darn you silly kid! Wink  Roll Eyes)!" Haha, I was like 11 when that happend and to this day, unless it is my own car, he still won't let me polish anything out without questioning/drilling me like a common criminal in interrogation!  Cheesy

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:34 am »

I still have a can of Glass Wax left and only use it in really bad window situations. Trying to save that stuff. Works GREAT, too.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 17:41:25 pm »

Ya know... you can find anything on the internet!  Wink

GlassWax as we knew it is no longer being made. However, TR Industries bought the formula but not the name. They are selling it as "No Streek Glass Polish" and it's available through Ace Hardware in the US.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3948457

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
normac67

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 01:34:30 am »

Glass Plus is a good product,far better than Windex for me.  Switched to Sprayway. It is the best I have ever used. At Walmart here in Texas.

Norris
kingsburgphil

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:48 am »

IMHO, newspaper can give good or bad results depending on the oil base printing ink. Better idea, get the end of roll remnants
 from your local newspaper, same paper.. no ink. Of course you may have to give the head pressman a thrill ride around the block.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:11:40 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
youngnstudly

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 02:34:57 am »

Jesus! I just now (...yes I'm a little slow!) realized that there are major long-term side effects to using the 50/50 lacquer thinner for cleaning windows....It took me this long to figure out that I was looking at Deans avatar (it's sooo fancy! Wink) and completely gave him credit for Dave's post!  Embarrassed  Maybe that thinner is frying my brain??? Funny how they didn't mention that on the Material Safety Data Sheet  that came with the thinner (which I didn't read!)! Roll Eyes

Glass Plus is a good product,far better than Windex for me.  Switched to Sprayway. It is the best I have ever used. At Walmart here in Texas.

Norris

I might give the sprayway a try...We use it at work to wash company trucks (well I don't personally wash the company trucks but I know a guy, that knows a guy...who is a pre-apprentice and washes the company trucks-haha). Seems to work well. Or I could just pull my car in and have the pre-apprentice wash my car for me...don't tell the boss! Lips Sealed.

Carry on....
Andy

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 05:17:56 am »

I'm with Ratto been using invisible glass and newspaper for some time now.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
low oval
DKK

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 22:34:43 pm »

My favorite glass cleaner is by "stoner" Cool.  For some reason when ever I use this stuff I get that youthfull feeling again (no worries), and then when I'm finished I'm hungry. Grin

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: