The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:13:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  question on air bypass screws on Dellorto carbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: question on air bypass screws on Dellorto carbs  (Read 1884 times)
volksnut

« on: January 30, 2010, 20:39:20 pm »

I noticed that when setting up a set of 45's on my 2176, the 3/4 carb wouldn't flow lower than a 7 on the snail ... the 1/2 side I could get as low as I wanted....both barrels on 3/4 were flowing the same though at 7, and the throttle plate was closed (screw not touching arm). Now.... to get both carbs to flow the same, can I open the bypass screw to lower the 3/4 carb down to meet the 1/2 carb or is that cheating? If both carbs are set at 7 then it idles at 1200 rpm Undecided  Hope I explained it simple enough
Rasser

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 21:46:26 pm »

Before trying to "cheat" by adjusting the bypass screw, check that the throttles on both carbs are exactly the same amount opened. To verify this, check that they have the exact same distance from throttle to the first progression hole. Also hold the carbs towards a lightbulb, and see if the throttles are closed the same amount (feeler "blade" gauges) can sometimes also be used to verify this.
 IF the throttles on both carbs are perfectly aligned/synched, then it is time to check if someone before you messed with the bypass screws!

But if you are lucky, then your problem is that the throttle plates are slightly misaligned on the 3-4 carb bores, and then you can probably correct this by loosening the screws that hold the throttle plate, and then adjust them properly, so they will close better. That way you can probably turn the idlescrews further back (close the throttle plates better).

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Bruce

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 00:15:00 am »

... can I open the bypass screw to lower the 3/4 carb down to meet the 1/2 carb ....
Won't work.  Opening the bypass screw increases the air through the carb.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: