The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 08:40:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350886 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Grand National Roadster Show
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grand National Roadster Show  (Read 5618 times)
nlvtinman

« on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:30 am »

I flew down to So Cal from my Las Vegas home this weekend to attend this show. WOW!!   
I have to say, it humbles me a bit geting to see cars built on a "No Budget" caliper!

A group of us, in fact 4 founding members of the "Der Selten Kafers" strong, got to get together and take in the event.
Late in the evening Larry Rick and I ran into Bill Shwimmer. I honestly don't think Bill quite knew who I am, as I have been living away from So Cal for so many years. Nice to see another long timer in the VW world is also into checking out the show.
Thanks Bill for mentioning to us that we needed to hit the vintage race car building. You were right!  That was a real trip back to a time gone by!   

Did anyone else get over to Pomona and see this show?
Steve Walker
jick

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 15:14:47 pm »

not me unfortunately....but i've been all over the hundreds of photo's on the HAMB,

hopefully next year!

Tom Lieb of Scat fame had his recently completed 29 roadster there looking awesome, certainly no shortage of inspiration for
my 29 coupe project.

its good to see the the more traditional cars being taken  more seriously every year too!

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 15:25:06 pm »

Groovy.

But shouldn't this be posted in the Off Topic forum?

Huh

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 23:52:24 pm »

Hi Steve

I was planning to take the car but did not have the inside door panels done in time. But I will plan for next year. Hey webmaster maybe move this to Off Topic.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
nlvtinman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:08:06 am »

Frenchy and "Fred" -I do believe you are right...it's an off topic subject.
That we ran into Bill doesn't entirely make the show a VW related event, does it?

Too bad your car wasn't ready Frenchy...it'll be good to see your creative handiwork !
Steve
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:04:02 am »

No worries.

Frenchy... I never get tired of seeing that car of yours. SO nice!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:00:36 am »

Hi Steve,  I know who you are, I just had'nt seen you in a bit. I found one of your business cards in some of my stuff the other day. I know that you have a cache of old mag wheels & that always stays in my mind. Glad you made it to the race car building. Seeing the light blue SWC gasser made my night.  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:09:39 am »

Thanks Fred since these pictures were taken I had some pin striping done on the belt line and the firewall and the radiator shell. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
nlvtinman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:07 am »

Yes Bill, the "Cook and Stone" car was Great! Repainted, but otherwise an original car !!

I read that the winner of the show had 10,000 hours devoted to it's build!  When I think of the hourly rate that high end rod shops charge, the cost is staggering.
Stephan S

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:36:38 am »

Yes Bill, the "Cook and Stone" car was Great! Repainted, but otherwise an original car !!

I read that the winner of the show had 10,000 hours devoted to it's build!  When I think of the hourly rate that high end rod shops charge, the cost is staggering.

10,000 hours... Peanuts!  Cheesy
Troy Trepanier spent 25,000+ hours building the latest Riddler Award winner, a MUCH MORE tasteful '36 Ford Coupe.

Der Kleiner Panzers
deano

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:35 am »

Heck, I can rack up those kinda hours in my sleep..... Grin

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dave Galassi

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:16:49 am »

Troy Trepanier spent 25,000+ hours building the latest Riddler Award winner, a MUCH MORE tasteful '36 Ford Coupe.
A beautiful article in the latest Rodder's Journal on that car.  I can only imagine the time and effort.  No lines, no fasteners, no welds, no sharp edges.............only components designed as art.  I was really blown away by that car.  Subtle, yet above over the top.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:05 am »

And it uses a VW steering wheel! Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: