The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 00:41:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  How did you fix this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How did you fix this?  (Read 3309 times)
kingsburgphil

« on: February 02, 2010, 07:07:56 am »

This ones a first for me living here in rust free Calif.  Grin  My first thought is to chuck it up in a lathe and amputate
the fractured part of the drum.

Second thought is carefully heli-arc the piece back in place.....small problem, it's expanded slightly and really
does not want to fit back in place.

I would really like to hear from someone who has faced this problem before and successfully repaired it.

Of course I will have to suffer the comments of my fellow kibitzing magpies.......turnabout is fair play..I guess.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

I like the way you casually throw in a pic of a Denzel badge, alongside a Rometsch badge...  Grin

As for the drum, I think you'll have to build it back up with weld and machine it down. The only (only???) problem might be the shrunk-in cast-iron liner. Maybe Doug B can offer some guidance?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
kingsburgphil

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:08 am »

I like the way you casually throw in a pic of a Denzel badge, alongside a Rometsch badge...  Grin

As for the drum, I think you'll have to build it back up with weld and machine it down. The only (only???) problem might be the shrunk-in cast-iron liner. Maybe Doug B can offer some guidance?

Thanks, nobody likes "boring" old pegboard. Especially when it's backing up a work bench that's best suited to replacing the cord on a toaster  Cheesy

Regarding the drum, what I didn't show was the badly corroded steel wire ring and its groove on the other side of the fractured "lip".
Welding it back in place would be a real challenge, as the aluminum is very thin at that point. And retaining or restoring the groove
would be almost impractical. I considered using an epoxy like devcon to reattach the lip, advantage being I could retain the wire ring
and it's groove on the inside. Disadvantage, it would look like I glued the lip back in place.

Needless to say I'm still open to suggestions.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 19:08:52 pm »

I would clamp it in place grind a small groove where the crack is about .060 deep weld a bead around it and then machine the weld and polish Or Take it over To Fat and have  them do it Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 19:54:12 pm »

use it as a dumbbell, you already have the knurled handle attached.!!! Grin

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: