The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 15:49:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Empi GT rocker covers - gaskets?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Empi GT rocker covers - gaskets?  (Read 6177 times)
laurie18

« on: February 12, 2007, 09:37:47 am »

Does anyone know of a source for the special gaskets to fit original Empi rocker covers. As I am sure you all know the wall thickness of the originals is nearly twice that of the repros. Before I look into getting some made (and bushes/seals for the fixing bolts) does any know if these are available already.
Thanks
laurie                                                                               
bathing ape

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:44:38 am »

laurie if you get some made i'll buy some i need them for mine too,full gasket and bolt set
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 15:49:39 pm »

I also Need The Gaskets and Rubber seal for the center Studs let me know Maybe we can all get togther and have them made  Thanks Shubee heres a  picture of the hardware these are a picture without the washer just the seal Also Did You know that the Empi GT's use a 14mm Head Cap Nut and the Empi Non Gt use a 13 mm head Cap nut
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 19:31:34 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 19:16:21 pm »

Shubee/bathing ape
there is a rubber/gasket/molding company in Southampton (UK) not far from my office. If I get a chance I will take the covers in later this week and see what they can do. Shubee, are those flanged bushes, for the M8 fixing bolts just rubber or is there a metal washer molded in ? If not I guess they just have a flat washer below the dome nut?
Will keep you both posted.
laurie
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 19:21:42 pm »

it has a metal concaved washer but it is seperate Daniel Hood has all the Specs to have the Seals Made but never did anything with the specs  I know there are alot of People that Run The Original Valve Covers But almost all of them are in need of these seals
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 19:28:31 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
bathing ape

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 19:31:22 pm »

excellent! keep us up to date,don't mind chipping in to get them done
laurie18

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:22:38 am »

Spoke to the rubber molding company yesterday and they reckon it will cost about £1000 (nearly $2000 right now) to produce the tooling for the rocker cover gaskets and about £200 ($400) for the bolt seals. I doubt if there are enough people out there who want them to get the unit cost down to anything like a sensible price. I have found another company that may be able to produce a similar bolt seal at a sensible price but I will probably resort to experimenting with a flat seal for the main gasket and bonding it in place.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 15:56:10 pm »

The Seal I have Found That is Close Is A Volvo 760 V6 Injector seal it is a tee shaped seal just like the Empi Seal But the Size of the Rubber that slips in to the Valve cover is about .20 Smaller and the inside hole where the stud comes threw is a tight 8 mm I was Thinking of Putting one in Carb Cleaner for about 15 min's It would Grow in Size If You Guys Want To Try One  go by a Volvo Dealer And Get one to Try ask for an injector seal for a 85 thu 87 760 volvo V6 with a B28 Engine   Hope It Helps   As Far as  The Seals Being big bucks to Make its like all Empi stuff its Supply and Demand If you need them you would by them stud seals you need 4 per car I Know almost every set of Valve Covers out there need these new Seals I have Never had a Problem with the Aftermarket Valve cover Gaskets I have them on my Gt Valve Covers they are tight going on I just use a little white grease on them and snug them up then check them after about 100 miles  The only leak I have ever had is the Stud Seals Because Mine are real Old I have even used the Green Oil cooler seals on them before it works but its not the right way to Do it if you Guys want to Make the Seals I will buy at least 20 seals  Let Me Know What you guys Decide on the Seals  Thanks Shubee

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 20:57:01 pm »

Shubbe,
I have not tried the repro gaskets on the car, off the car they seem stretched and the flat surface is twisted. Do they pull up flat when tightened down on the bolts? I have found another bushing company that offer a very close sized item. I will try to order some tomorrow and see how they go.
laurie
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 21:49:29 pm »

yes the gasket will seat down  just dont overtighten them  snug them up then check them after about 100 miles  let me know on the seals I have valve covers coming out my a** all need seals  lol

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 12:24:27 pm »

Shubbe,
I have just ordered some flanged bushes that may do the job. They are made of nitrile so they should be a little better than normal rubber. The outher diameter is 14.5mm, I have measured the holes in my covers at just under 14mm, I am happy to file mine out a bit if required. The inner diameter is 6.4mm possibly a bit tight on an M8 bolt but I sure I can make it work. The diameter of the flange is 21mm and the thickness is 4.5mm. The bush length is 18.5mm but could be cut down.
They are not expensive so well worth a try. I'll let you know how I get on.
laurie
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 14:17:39 pm »

ok cool  let me know thanks Shubee

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 18:23:18 pm »

Shubbe2, Bathing Ape,
I now have a bag of the flanged bushes. They are a good fit, a little tight on the M8 bolts when inserted into the rocker cover but they should be OK with a little grease. I shall use flat washers and 13mm dome nuts. If you email me your postal addresses I will post a set to you, I would be interested to know what you think. If they are any good they are a cheap and readily available alternative to the originals

fletcherlaurence@hotmail.com

thanks
laurie
bathing ape

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 19:40:00 pm »

cool,emailed Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 04:11:26 am »

just e mailed you Thanks Shubee

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
bathing ape

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 09:49:43 am »

postman just dropped them in,cheers dude
SlingShot

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 01:33:23 am »

I may have found a company that will reproduce these seals, but I need a used one thats alll there so I can cut in half. So if anyone has one that is no good and willing to donate it to the cause PM me. BTW if everything works out right you will get a free set for your effort. Thanks

Will Race For Beer !!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: