The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 21:41:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Oil Temp Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oil Temp Question  (Read 3634 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: June 19, 2011, 20:10:46 pm »

I'm sure it's been asked before but where is the best location to mount a VDO sender to monitor oil temp....?

1. Oil relief valve
2. Remote Oil filter
3. Sump plate

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
fredy66

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 20:16:43 pm »

i.m planing to mount in the sump (cb performans)

arabia slugs
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:52:45 pm »

If you have a universal case then the type 3 take off plate

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 21:31:41 pm »

Anyone have an idea how far the oil level is in the case when filled up to top mark of dipstick? I have my temp sensor in the type 3 take off plate as suggest above but will the oil reach the sender?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
dave greiner

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 21:33:04 pm »

The sump location will read 50 -80 degrees cold. The filter adapter would be the most accurate, but the pressure relief location is pretty close
and is easier to do. It takes a VDO 323064  18mm sender.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 22:02:09 pm »

Why not off a "t" in the stock sender location?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Donny B.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 22:04:56 pm »

Why not off a "t" in the stock sender location

probably not enough flow in that area...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
leec

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 22:26:46 pm »

Drill and tap the oil filter housing?
Brother Lovedub

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 22:36:16 pm »

Type 3 dipstick hole on a universal case

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 23:03:34 pm »

The sump location will read 50 -80 degrees cold. The filter adapter would be the most accurate, but the pressure relief location is pretty close
and is easier to do. It takes a VDO 323064  18mm sender.
Yeah thats what I did .....I was givin the wrong sender I wanted to install it on the sump plate ,but I think it worked out better for me ....! ...Also I was going to tap into it at the filter but thought this might be a better way ! as I don't have a universal case ...later I plan to maybe install a external fan as I will tap into there !.....I'm running about 190-195 nothing over 200 yet !...and that was coming back from "The Classic" ! which 100 miles or so...Now I just have to figure out a good way to run the wire neatly over the tranny..! ...."Anyone have any neat tricks"...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
fredy66

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 23:46:35 pm »

oil hoseis 8 m ok

arabia slugs
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50:01 am »

One thing for sure, your motor is still clean, no leaks, at least what I can see Randy.  Grin Never used the pressure relief sender before, but was thinking, is there enough oil going under the piston to read right? I do like the idea of the Type III dip stick plate for the sender. It is in the oil at that location, just make sure your oil level is at full. Also, putting a sender in the sump plate especially a deep sump might not be a good idea, it's lower to the ground. May hit something. On the side of the sump is fine.
The oil temps your getting now seem good, need to run it on longer to get it to max temp. An external cooler is a good idea anyway, safer for a hot day.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
glenn

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:49:24 am »

Mine's in the oil filter.

where ever you put it you have to confirm that it is accurate. Mine reads 40* hotter than it actually is. I confirmed this with a Pyrex calibrated Deep Fry thermometer down the dipstick and with a Raytek infrared thermometer.

Then you look for variations from "normal" more than actual temps.I just returned from a 300 mile trip to the Litchfield show where I was pulling long hills up to 9% grades and temps never exceeded 205F.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 18:44:36 pm »

Well ...for now at least I can see more or less what the temp is until I find a solution to mount on the filter this will work for now !

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: