The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:34:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Never before seen shots of Baby Huey...from NHRA Division 7 Points Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Never before seen shots of Baby Huey...from NHRA Division 7 Points Race  (Read 4268 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: March 06, 2010, 06:04:13 am »

Living in Northern California in the early 70's meant long drives to the Bug-Ins.  However, one of the great things about having Sacramento Raceway nearby was the fact that Division 7 NHRA Points Races were held there. 

One one such occassion, I was fortunate enough to see the likes of Vittone, Vanderbeke, Hugh Kelly (Baby Huey) and many others that had come up from Southern California.  I will make a couple posts showing some of the cars as I have the print film converted to CDs for use on the Lounge.

Here are a couple great shots of the early Chopped 67 version of Baby Huey. It had a Porsche trans, many BERG parts for the motor and a lot of body refinements.  If you look closely at the shots I post, you will notice that the front fenders have air reliefs on top of them. Hugh Kelly even put pieces of metal at the front of the door hinges to make them more aerodynamic. It was a very nice car.

The chop top angles are spot on too.  Check out the side profile in the pictures I post and you will see how good the rooline is. The car had to have an NHRA legal chop top that retained all the stock door and various roof angles to be legal for the gas classes.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:32 am »

Nice lots of subtle body mod's there  Cool particularly like the bobbed rear and radiused and vented front fenders

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 15:29:29 pm »

Yeah...the bobbed rear was done so well keeping the body lines that you hardly notice it. The front fenders were done as well.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Jim M

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 17:10:48 pm »

My wife was racing at Sacramento years ago, when Hugh walked up to her in the staging lanes.They talked about the brm's on here car and his old car. I think he had a house fire and had lost of his pictures and belongings.I believe i might have his contact info somewhere. I will check.

Porters Precision
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 17:19:59 pm »

My wife was racing at Sacramento years ago, when Hugh walked up to her in the staging lanes.They talked about the brm's on here car and his old car. I think he had a house fire and had lost of his pictures and belongings.I believe i might have his contact info somewhere. I will check.

See if you can get him on here to share a few memories  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Cornpanzer

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 00:36:02 am »

cool car, wonder what happened to it?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 15:11:09 pm »

Pages: [1] Print