The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 22:26:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Who wears the pants in your relationship with your VW? You or the car?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who wears the pants in your relationship with your VW? You or the car?  (Read 8130 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 10, 2010, 21:19:08 pm »

Do you own the car or does it own you? Sometimes I wonder....  my car will try hard to wrestle away my position as "boss", but with lots of blood sweat and tears, I'm still in charge. Most of the time.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 21:37:25 pm by The Other One » Logged
Ivan

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 21:21:55 pm »

My 48IDAs cost me more in gas than she does!
But then... I know how to treat a lady!  Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 21:44:19 pm »

Neither, its my wife.  Embarrassed  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:26 am »

another great Jimīs long awaited topic :-)
deano

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:02 am »

Okay, I'll play along. I got a Buddy Hale paint job, my wife got a remodeled living and dining room...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:26 am »

Do you own the car or does it own you?

My they're not cars... they're Volkswagens.

Sorry, Jim... couldn't resist.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:11:26 am »

We swap a lot.  Variety is the spice of life.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:09:18 am »

Jim, I didn't know you had pants. You've always just worn your underwear to the club meetings.

I also park at Nick's.
stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:40 am »

I'm in control or I'll black her other eye. Shocked

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:45:34 am »

You sound like OJ Simpson.

I also park at Nick's.
Dez

Grey Anatomy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:18 am »

She is, and she swallows...

...A lot of money Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 18:16:34 pm »

Jim, I didn't know you had pants. You've always just worn your underwear to the club meetings.

Especially for you, John.  Kiss
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 18:48:19 pm »

Especially for you, John.  Kiss

Was that the official DKP logo thong? You guys are awesome Grin

(um... Jim... did you know the skinny part was supposed to go in the back?)
bugnut68

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 19:19:34 pm »

At this stage, I'm firmly in control of my car... soon the 1776 will be sold and gone and it will be engineless, merely hapless to go anywhere without me to push it around...Grin 

Once I get the 2017 built and in place, however, I'm sure the car will own ME.... or is it "pwn" me? 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:21 am »

Seems to me, driving my car on a regular basis, "little jobs" always appear out of nowhere, some are expected, but some just sort of "strike" like a cottonmouth. Some of the tasks to keep the car healthy and happy are easy as pie, like light tune ups, oil/filter change, lubing hinges, brake adjust, etc, all are just part of owning and staying after any VW. But some of the crap (though admittedly, I invent the work on my own) that gets handed to me by the car...  Roll Eyes. Plug changes are not something I look forward to. Crawled around like a crab this past weekend getting front toe-in set dead on (after adjusting front beam up approx 3/4" and going back to factory Boge fr shocks w/ shortened buffers, obviously, the toe's off as the spindles get closer to steering box again), but in the end, showing the car who's boss is almost always rewarding once things are where I want them again (for the next 10 minutes).
bugnut68

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:17 am »

I have to admit I'm a little concerned as to how I'm going to tune my dellortos once they're on the new engine and installed in the car... All I've had to date are Kadrons, and those are mighty easy to adjust with only one mixture screw per carb...
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 04:44:31 am »

Bugnut, trust me-- you'll love the Dells!

Jim,

I think an enthusiast does create work for himself, but tinkering is half the fun right? Many of us know how cool it is to build an engine, then hear it run for the first time! The excitement and anticipation is hard to explain! But then sometimes things fail... something overlooked or a part failure, whatever the problem is, we get blindsided. For example... a "mystery noise" on a fresh engine... nothing clear cut or obvious, but one of those wtf noises... "project guys" like most of us here on the Lounge will not rest until we find the problem, no matter how much work... we may get PO'd, but we still find it and fix it... so who's wearing the pants? The car thinks it is-- but we know better Grin

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 17:15:58 pm »

Okay, I'll play along. I got a Buddy Hale paint job, my wife got a remodeled living and dining room...

I'm right there with you buddy!
bugnut68

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 18:00:30 pm »

Jim,

I think an enthusiast does create work for himself, but tinkering is half the fun right? Many of us know how cool it is to build an engine, then hear it run for the first time! The excitement and anticipation is hard to explain! But then sometimes things fail... something overlooked or a part failure, whatever the problem is, we get blindsided. For example... a "mystery noise" on a fresh engine... nothing clear cut or obvious, but one of those wtf noises... "project guys" like most of us here on the Lounge will not rest until we find the problem, no matter how much work... we may get PO'd, but we still find it and fix it... so who's wearing the pants? The car thinks it is-- but we know better Grin

I should clarify, it's not hte process that I'm concerned about, but access to the mixture screws... are holes or "windows" in the sides of the engine bay a necessity?  I've never run two-barrel dual carbs before, just trying to start planning any necessary mods.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 21:27:54 pm »

Jim,

I should clarify, it's not hte process that I'm concerned about, but access to the mixture screws... are holes or "windows" in the sides of the engine bay a necessity?  I've never run two-barrel dual carbs before, just trying to start planning any necessary mods.

Well, windows or holes sure help...
Nice how the idle jets drop in from the top on the Dells though.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 21:53:53 pm by Dave Rosique » Logged
The Ideaman

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 21:29:09 pm »

My wife.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 21:43:53 pm »

My wife.

Must be a Fillipino thing.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Brian Silva

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 22:17:09 pm »

I would have to say the car at this point  Tongue all i want to do is hang out in the garage and tinker with it. I have had my fair share of battles with the car as we all do but I always look forward to wrenching on it. My girlfriend isn't very happy that I'm bringing the car to our new place. She says the car is more important than she is because all I do is work on it. I tell her that working on the car is therapeutic lol. In the end, it all works out.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 22:19:08 pm »

you have money for pants and a hot VW!!! Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
bugnut68

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:48 am »

Jim,

Well, windows or holes sure help...
Nice how the idle jets drop in from the top on the Dells though.

I like that too!  Sucked having to take the tops of the Kadrons off to access the mains, and the idles are a little precarious on the sides of the carbs.  I'm looking forward to hearing these things bark.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 16:54:29 pm »

In Winter, when I don't drive it much, I'm in control!! and sometimes have thoughts of selling it. Shocked

Spring, summer,and fall when I'm driving it every weekend the bitch gets what it needs, and I get what I want. so.....

She needs an Oil change and I want a new A-1 exhaust.  Grin

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 17:33:23 pm »

Since my car is a GTV, I feel I have to do it justice with original EMPI parts  and nothing else will ever do. In that respect, it surely tells me what to do rather than the other way round, but I enjoy it all the same Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 17:38:46 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: