The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 17:16:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Weber Carbs and E85
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Weber Carbs and E85  (Read 14971 times)
Carsten

« on: April 06, 2010, 14:45:07 pm »

Just because of my engine project and having different ways in my mind and actually read an article about a split bug from sweden , which uses E85 with EMPI ( IDA ) carbs  Grin
Anyone any experiences with the use of E85 fuel and Weber IDA carbs Huh
I heard about problems withe the material of some carbs , especially when they are out of aluminium...
And read about differnces between the italien IDA`s and the new (spanish...american..??) made IDA carbs , that you can buy new. Do not know what differences the EMPI carbs might have...?
So any informations would be a great help !
Carsten

1969 IRS bug
folkevogn

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 19:31:57 pm »

I suggest you type "e85" and hit the search button, you will find lots of topics with the answer to your questions. Good luck....

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Carsten

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 20:00:04 pm »

I suggest you type "e85" and hit the search button, you will find lots of topics with the answer to your questions. Good luck....
That was what i thought , too. But i am more intersted in special informations about that and what people changed in the carbs and so on...
Thank you. :-)

1969 IRS bug
JS

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 22:10:14 pm »

Contact Petter Carlberg or Roman here on the lounge.

Signature.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 00:05:08 am »

E85 is gonna play hell on seals and gaskets. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Roman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 22:47:54 pm »

I never had any problems with any gaskets when I used E85. I had like a red sludge in the manifolds though, but it might be something that was dissolved from the rubber hoses (Hi quality stuff though) or the gas tank since ages. I know Petter has had a similar "problem" or if it is gone now.

It never made any difference how the engine was running.

If I would do it again I would use teflon hoses and a brand new fuel tank though.

Remember to change to size 300 needle valve. The stock one is to small.
The rule of thumb is to use 5 x venturi size for the main jet.

Petter Carlberg

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 22:01:59 pm »

Hello!
I think it was my bug you read about : ) Still waiting to read that issue : (
To your question, I have used Webers, both Italian and Spanish, and now I run Empi. I´ve found no differens in the way they handle E85, no problem with any of them.
Carsten

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 14:02:33 pm »

Hello!
I think it was my bug you read about : ) Still waiting to read that issue : (
To your question, I have used Webers, both Italian and Spanish, and now I run Empi. I´ve found no differens in the way they handle E85, no problem with any of them.
Yes , i it is yours ! ! I was just thinking about if there will be any problems , because you read so much about it and problems with the material of the carbs (other brands). That made me think about if it works with the different IDA carbs...
What do you think about the EMPI carbs compared to the WEBER ones ?
Carsten

1969 IRS bug
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 16:24:53 pm »

Well, my pair of Empis is great, equal to the Spanish Webers, Italians are best but it get harder and harder to get a good set.
I´ll submit a fun advert I found!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 16:29:21 pm by Petter Carlberg » Logged
Carsten

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 16:41:49 pm »

Thats it... Italiens are most of the time in need of work and parts.. I had differnt sets in the past.. ;-)
EMPI carbs...Maybe it is like with some other parts... Only buy them when you have a dealer who has 10 of them and take the two best ones.....
So the most important thing is , that it seems to work with the carbs... How long do you use E85 now ?
I think E85 is the fuel of the future !

1969 IRS bug
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 19:27:41 pm »

I think 2006 was my first season on E85. Addicted Smiley
Big Kev

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:21:41 am »

Petter, well done with VW. I'm really interested in DCOE e85 conversions for circut racing application. Conversion kits for gaskets and rubber parts and required modifications. Any info would be really helpful.

Cheers
Hotrodvw

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:20 am »

Don't forget your entire fuel system.......

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 19:25:01 pm »

My first convert was made by only changing jets, worked fine for years. Have never heard of gasket kits for alcohol. On  the second car I built the fuelsystem with E85 in mind, black Holley insead of red etc. I think a lot of peaple thinks E85 is as agressive as metanol wich is wrong. I always change to oilmixed petrol in my car before winterstorage because E85 binds water and makes your cylinders rusty if not running for a while.
Big Kev

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 03:05:59 am »

That's cool. Kind of confirms what a tuner here in NZ is saying. No drilling required just jets and emulsion tubes and that sort of thing. How many jet sizes are you going up compaired to petrol/avgas? Does anyone know anyone using E85 for circut or rally applications?
Peter S

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 21:58:37 pm »

Take a look at http://www.polestar.se for info about a touring car team here in Sweden using E85.
They have been racing with it since 2007 with great success.

The rule of thumb is that the engine will require about 30% more fuel to get the right air/fuel mixture compared with regular petrol.

I'ts closer than ever....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: