The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 18:09:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350833 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Where have all the Rallys gone?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Where have all the Rallys gone?  (Read 12425 times)
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« on: April 01, 2010, 01:01:20 am »

I remember back in the '70's, VW clubs would have one or two rallyes each per year. Once we formed DSK, this was our first one from spring of '77 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Judging by the turnout and enthusiasm at Nick's every year, it seems like there is enough support to have more now. Any active clubs in SoCal interested? How about DKP or DKK?
Also, if anyone has any old flyers, please share them. I have more to put up but they're too large.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:18:38 am by 61SNRF » Logged
61SNRF

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:05:32 am »

Here is our second one from Fall '77 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:16:47 am by 61SNRF » Logged
61SNRF

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:10:11 am »

Here is one that never got past the planning stages, we wanted to have it April 1, thus the title. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] This was my rough draft of the flyer, I used Shubee's Ghia as the model.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:14:04 am by 61SNRF » Logged
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:14:03 am »

We revived a navigational rally a few years back, but there was actually very little participation.

I also park at Nick's.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:08:46 am »

We revived a navigational rally a few years back, but there was actually very little participation.

That's too bad John... maybe you guys could give it another try? Grin
Navigational rallys & VW caravans were always plenty of fun.

~DR
nlvtinman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:58 am »

Bruce, do you recall how many rallies that we held our (in)famous "DSK Burn Out Contest"?
Didn't we do one in a church parking lot?, much to the dismay of the neighbors and the 'advisement' of the Police to cease immediately.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:20:42 am »

Sheesh, just between D.K.P. and D.K.K. there were tons of navigational rallies. Still have all my D.K.K. fliers, dash plaques, and one shirt. Fun times.

But like John posted, not many people would be into it now, or so it seems. I'm comparing to how it was, thirty years back. When a club or group of people put one on... it got crowded. Good ol' clean fun and good times. They were fun to host, as well.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Hecker

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:59:34 am »

Hey Mark --- is it this one???  //// Hecker

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 13:19:31 pm »

you should do a slow cruise into LA, would be an awesome photo from a bridge looking down at hundreds of VW's on the freeway.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 13:32:21 pm »

Hecker, yes.

Lids, yes.

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 13:32:43 pm »

Rallys just seemed like way too much thinking for my liking.  But my brain is lazy.  And I wasn't there back then.  So I can't say for sure.

But I really like some of the flyer artwork that was done.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 16:00:47 pm »

We ran a treasure hunt with Half A Brain a good few years ago, but we really only had 8-10 cars participate. since then the price of fuel has doubled, so I don't think they'd be popular for that reason - most people want to go somewhere rather than driving around looking for something.

Having said that, if I'd got a 'Looker on the road and one was organised, I'd love to participate! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
mg

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 15:03:40 pm »

Next week in LA we have two fantastic FREE rallys for 75 and older cars.
These are 3 day rallys that cover about 800 miles each.
Directions are provided, simple navigation, no tricks just the best driving roads in California.
Expect about 80 cars of various makes.
Occasionally along the route private car collections are available for viewing.
We still meet for pizza and beer in the parking lot after everyday of driving.  Cool
Next Friday is lunch at the Baja Cantina in Carmel, try and catch us.
http://www.targacalifornia.com/?page_id=74
http://www.bottombustermotortour.com/
Coverage of last years Targa California from Bring a trailer.
http://bringatrailer.com/2010/03/24/2010-targa-california-two-weeks-away/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 15:05:58 pm by MG » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 17:44:23 pm »

I can't understand the lack of interest now a days in a good gimmick or navigational rally. I think the best part of the mystique and folklore of the club scene from the late 1960's thru mid 1970's is the stories behind the rallies. "Shorty's" post years ago about DKP cars burning off tires, getting sideways out of Ward's lot, "getting Whitfaced @ Shakey's" all notwithstanding, was one of the best posts ever here on Lounge.
The club I was in during the mid 1990's was very active, as far as hitting up Sears Point dragstrip, putting on poker runs, navigational rallies and just simple caravans. I have to say those times were some of the most fondly remembered in my VW life. The few navigational rallies we set up were "club only" and one truly went down in flames when everybody got (really) lost out in the dark, foggy delta one Saturday night, before the cell phone was popular. Had some club members awfully grumpy with me the following day.  Roll Eyes
Our most successful and memorable club trip back then was a simple caravan we organized in Bay Area, which began at Buggy House, in Hayward, @ 7:00am, and took the stream of cars (I think over 50 VW's showed up, aside from club cars) across the Bay and into coastal mountain highway CA35, which snakes through redwood forests all the way down to Santa Cruz. It was a great day, everybody hanging out and having fun all the way.

My old friend Bryan and I were always coming up with schemes for night navigational rallies, most just turned into impromptu drag races out @ Raymond or crazy hillclimb attacks up backside of Mt Diablo. Lucky nobody ever got killed. Some of our ideas would have been cool if they ever materialized... the "It Came Out of the Sky" rally involving flare guns would have been a good time, though we probably would have ended up behind bars.
61SNRF

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 21:05:59 pm »

Yah, gimmick rallyes is what I had in mind. Steve, I can't remember how many burn-out contests we staged, but I think there were at least as many as rallyes we had. Most times at the starting parking lot we had an hour or more to BS before the start, and then after the rallye an evening of pizza, beer and street racing! What a combo. Seems like most clubs ran them through some scenic streets with some point of interest or special challenge. When I first joined DVB they we very enthusiastic about them. I remember John Fawley and his wife Linda were always top contenders for the win. I was never much good myself, I made my navigator "dizzy" LOL.
For those not wanting to torture themselves or endure the rallye itself, the end or last checkpoint could be found out easily by asking the right people, and Shubee always knew who to ask! I remember on occasion Roger Crawford wouldn't even come to the start or rallye itself but would just show up at Shakeys with his car on the trailer slicks mounted looking for a match race!
I guess now it's hard to get one going simply because they are a lot of work. It would usually take a month to write, edit and print the instructions, as well as getting all the trophys and raffles prizes together. This takes an active club with strong membership willing to make the sacrafice towards the club treasury.
I miss the Berg rallye before the Classic too, my vote is to bring that one back.
Maybe after Nick's we can all just drive to a nearby Shakeys to continue the evening and share a pizza and beer or two!

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 21:37:06 pm »

here's the 1st krazy karavan by DVB Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
horatiocaine

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 02:37:17 am »

my dash plaque from this one. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
61SNRF

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 06:28:01 am »

Here is one that never got past the planning stages, we wanted to have it April 1, thus the title. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] This was my rough draft of the flyer, I used Shubee's Ghia as the model.
First let me say PLEEASE excuse my scribbles, I've never had any art school but have always drawn cars. I was elected to make the flyers for the club and did it with some earnest, but looking back they are certainly "outsider" art.
There are other much better club artists that I met and have great respect for such as Harvey Woo, who did the DVB flyers as well as the clubs logos and Irwindale Drags flyers. Another is longtime friend Vince Ito who not only made a lot of flyers for DKK but also did a tee-shirt for Rollings Automotive with an awesome rendering of the famed "Imagination" dragster. (Sadly I've worn mine out long ago,Vince if you have any more, please let me know!) If anyone has any of their artwork or any others I've failed to mention, it would love to see it, with their blessing of course.

BTW, the rallye above that we planned was of course on a Saturday night, so in what year was it April 1 on a Saturday? '77, '78or '79?
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 04:57:02 am »

I always considered Vince's fliers true classic, Cal-look works of art.

I remember a DVB rally I was on in the late '70's where you had to catch a goldfish out of a cooler to pass the check point and then if you wanted extra points you had to swallowed the fish! Those were the days. It was easy to get a few hundred cars to participate.

-jeffrey
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:08:40 am by jhicken » Logged

61SNRF

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 06:05:15 am »

I remember a DVB rally I was on in the late '70's where you had to catch a goldfish out of a cooler to pass the check point and then if you wanted extra points you had to swallowed the fish! Those were the days. It was easy to get a few hundred cars to participate.

-jeffrey
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Note the $2.49 entry fee, for $2.50 you also got a raffle ticket!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:09 am »

Amen, brother. They still look, today.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 21:05:06 pm »

I always thought a rally where contestants get eliminated along the route would be fun, something with drivers either having to meet other drivers at various meet points, via different routes, and having to "pass something on" (relay style), and so on, or drivers trading cars or something, then on to next meetpoint, whichever driver/car gets there first piles into another car, etc... complicated, yes, but would be a hoot.
Cars that don't make it to meet points first (again, along various routes, or maybe no route given, just a destination!) are considered late, and are out. If you do get there, you have half a playing card or something, given to you with route instructions, you gotta match it up to one of the cars already @ meetpoint. If nobody is waiting there or nobody has your match, you're out.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 23:09:10 pm »

I have to agree, the best part of growing up in OC Ca was the rallies. I got into VWs in 1972 and always looked forward to them, nothing goes better with VWs then, good friends, Pizza, Beer and an occasional Street Race, but I don’t condone the Street Racing Part Grin
qubek

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 11:47:12 am »

I love rallies and we still occasionally do them here. But you cannot do it for a/c vws only - not enough participants.
I think it is one of the best ways of spending time in your car driving it. And that's what this hobby is about, isn't it?
I love the old artwork and I like to look at it while I am at work ( Wink ) or in bed. But that can't be more interesting then really driving a Beetle, can it?

Funny thing is that when we're participating in a rally with my girlfriend (and usually her sister and/or some friends) we are arguing all the time. Whose fault it was that we've made a wrong turn, things like that. And still, we have a great time.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
mg

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 14:49:22 pm »

Photos from the best free rally in the California.  Smiley
http://bringatrailer.com/2010/04/10/targa-california-2010-an-incredible-day-2/

more photos included a few stops at private collections.
http://socaltt510.shutterfly.com/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 17:44:16 pm by MG » Logged
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 16:19:18 pm »

Would be cool to get DKP, DKK, and other Cal-Look clubs from the hay day, get together with a Ralley or Big Cruz of some kind. Make it a joint venture of the club's. Just my 2cnt's.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 20:25:02 pm »

See my post above.

I also park at Nick's.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:08 am »

Ya John I saw that, just thought I spark up some more interest, seem s like there is some, but maybe not enough. Still would be cool to get something going. Oh well!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
low oval
DKK

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 05:12:21 am »

See my post above.
your santa's little helper cruise is very successful though.  we need a summer cruise.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:46 am »

See my post above.
your santa's little helper cruise is very successful though.  we need a summer cruise.
                                                       The cruises aren't the problem. The rally's are the problem. Most just want to go to the end and attend as if it were a cruise night. That's why our cruise nights remain successful, I guess.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: