The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 04:40:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Small cooling upgrade....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Small cooling upgrade....?  (Read 1368 times)
PH1303

« on: April 01, 2010, 22:25:44 pm »

Hello

First of all I would like to thank everyone for this great forum.

I wonder if someone already tried this:

Everyone with experience with high performance aircooled VW's, have had concerns about high head temperatures - right? And most of us have also had a type 4 head in our hands, and wished the type 1 head had similar large cooling surface. But it doesn't.
Then I started to think about disc brakes, and what is normally done in order to improve cooling. By adding holes in the disc, it is possible to improve heat transfer, if it is done properly. This could in theory be transferred the aircooled cylinder head.

For example:

The cooling rib of the type 1 head is approx 2.5 mm thick. If a 2 mm hole is added in a rib, then you have removed a surface area of pi/4*2^2*2 = 6.3 mm^2, from the sides of the rib. But you have gained a cylindrical suface of pi*2*2.5 = 15.7 mm^2. So in total, you have increased the surface area by 15.7 - 6.3 ^= 9.4 mm^2. Lets say 20 small holes is added per cylinder, and the head has 8 ribs per cylinder, then a total of 1500 mm^2 is gained, or 15 cm^2.

I am thinking of adding this to my heads for my 2085 cc engine, but I would like to know if anyone have tried this before?

Best regards

Peter

Bruce

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:31:24 am »

Don't forget to account for the drop in mass of the head.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: