The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:50:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  TURBO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: TURBO  (Read 18162 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28:39 am »

If you've got a octopus of exhaust and intake tubing, a huge 4 barrel with no decklid or huge decklid standoffs that show everybody what you're all about and what you have......it's not Cal Look.

If you've got a sleekly engineered under the deck hidden turbo system that hauls ass, it fits my interpretation of Cal Look. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

I never get to see the rear end of an IDA'd motor  Roll Eyes Grin Wink

qubek

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 10:17:19 am »

Ok, so everyone knows a 200hp 2.3L n/a motor can be built to run on pump gas. What can you get out of the same size motor, boosted, on the same fuel? For me, not enough to justify the hassle Roll Eyes

And lets us not forget, a 200hp n/a motor and a 200hp turbo motor are not equals.

Different, but equal  Grin

Is hp the only factor? I mean - you can get a lot of hp from a naturally aspirated engine, but it will need exotic internal parts, it will have to rev high and it probably won't be pleasant to drive nor durable.
On the other hand, some turbocharged engines seams to be really "normal" inside (I mean- cheap and easy Wink ) and steel have a lot of hp. Sure, there is probably a lot of turbocharged engines which are never properly adjusted and "finished", but it can be done. 
I never had such an engine, but it seams to me that the best way to have a powerful yet civilized engine is turbo plus injection. Which is kind of sad Wink

Quote from: Donny B.
Looks like the king of the original cal-look guys Ron Fleming is using the latest in high tech available for the VW doing his thing....

Maybe they just still do what they always did? Racing, not collecting old memorabilia?
Don't get me wrong. I think collecting is a really cool hobby

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 10:30:07 am »

Did someone mention turbo and cal look in the same sentence around here again Roll Eyes
Pass him the soap and wash that mouth out good this time Grin Grin

says the guy with TRIM  Roll Eyes

think the needles well and truly stuck in that record Roll Eyes
The record must be grooved as well  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:10:19 am by On the edge » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 17:50:22 pm »

Ok, so everyone knows a 200hp 2.3L n/a motor can be built to run on pump gas. What can you get out of the same size motor, boosted, on the same fuel? For me, not enough to justify the hassle Roll Eyes

And lets us not forget, a 200hp n/a motor and a 200hp turbo motor are not equals.

Ok,now add the short geared totally impractical trans you put up with to get the most from that high strung 200hp IDA motor,then think about the turbo guy cruising along with his stock gearstack with that torque on tap ready to just get up and go while you are still working through the gears to get it on cam Wink
And if he wants more he just chasnges the fuel used and another 100hp is there or more,what you got left in the ida motor? Grin

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 17:59:26 pm »

Ok,now add the short geared totally impractical trans you put up with to get the most from that high strung 200hp IDA motor,then think about the turbo guy cruising along with his stock gearstack with that torque on tap ready to just get up and go while you are still working through the gears to get it on cam Wink
And if he wants more he just chasnges the fuel used and another 100hp is there or more,what you got left in the ida motor? Grin
cheers richie

Fair enough Wink But I wouldn't say 200hp is high strung, it can be totally driveable if built right with a stock ratio gearbox. With enough tuning and seat time, a high 12 through 3 gears isn't impossible, and you can still cruise home in the fast lane. For me, that's plenty fast enough. Kudos to the guys like yourself who are pushing the performance envelope, sure is fun to watch (and mooch rides from!), it just isn't for me.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 18:00:56 pm »

what setup would you build to get 200hp that won't be a dud w/o close gears and w/o race gas, Zach?
Donny B.

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 18:06:03 pm »

Zach, we both know someone who made 200 HP and ran high 12s and actually drove his car from Phoenix to the Classic and back.  I am sure you remember it better than I...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 18:17:55 pm »

Your standard K8, 9:1, 2276-2232 IDA motor with a set of great heads. My old roomates 2276cc made 198hp at 6700-6800 as I remember with the belt pulled. He had a Berg 5, but he also had a stock ratio trans in it when the 5 speed was getting serviced, and it was completely driveable. You could roll on to the throttle from under 2000 rpm in 4th, and it would just pull and pull. It was a true daily driver, his only mode of transportation. I know that may not be your idea of a fun motor, but it will get the job done. I don't think he ever raced it with the 4 speed, but with the 5 gear he got it down to a 12.63 on M&H DOT's.

I know he's probably reading this, so Travis get your shit back together! Wink

EDIT:
You beat me to the punch, Donny!

bugnut68

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 18:22:22 pm »

Your standard K8, 9:1, 2276-2232 IDA motor with a set of great heads. My old roomates 2276cc made 198hp at 6700-6800 as I remember with the belt pulled. He had a Berg 5, but he also had a stock ratio trans in it when the 5 speed was getting serviced, and it was completely driveable. You could roll on to the throttle from under 2000 rpm in 4th, and it would just pull and pull. It was a true daily driver, his only mode of transportation. I know that may not be your idea of a fun motor, but it will get the job done. I don't think he ever raced it with the 4 speed, but with the 5 gear he got it down to a 12.63 on M&H DOT's.

EDIT:

All I have to do is think about that ride to and from the 2004 Phoenix BOR, and I get this involuntary feeling like I'm being forced back in my office chair...Grin  The shrinking Mustang GT in the mirror is a nice memory, too.  Cheesy
richie

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 19:13:11 pm »

EDIT:

But if you restrict yourself to pump gas surely you cant take off the belt,they dont cruise on the highway for very long without it even with a 5 speed Cheesy
2332 200hp in street trim N/A is going to be hard work,200hp turbo is more forgiving 
cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JamieL

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 19:43:29 pm »

And you don't need anything like 2332cc for a 200 horse turbo motor... Cheesy

400 maybe...  Shocked Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 03:15:05 am »

To each their own! Grin

stealth67vw

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 06:05:41 am »

To make my point.

Not Cal Look.

Not Cal Look.

Not Cal Look.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 08:26:01 am »

Thank God for you, John.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

Not one of those cars would be cal-look, turbo or not.

Cornpanzer

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 13:31:49 pm »

But, what if you turbo'd an original GTV?  Would that be Cal-Look?   Huh

Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 13:52:40 pm »

dont see anything about 48's or turbos  Tongue Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 14:00:39 pm »

Grin

Hey.. is your car cal-look?

Smiley

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 15:09:28 pm »

Grin

GTV's are period pieces, and interesting cars in their own right.

Cal Look? With all that glitz dripping off every available place they could bolt or glue them on? I think not.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 17:35:09 pm »

Grin

If I found (and could afford) an original Rajay turbo kit I'd bolt it on in a heartbeat!

But honestly, I don't consider my GTV Cal Look.

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 19:32:56 pm »

I guess this wolf left it's sheep clothing at home  Grin

So if it had a decklid that covered everything up would it be Cal-Look?

-jeffrey

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 20:18:14 pm »

Not Cal Look?

Not Cal Look?

Not Cal Look?

Yeah, you guys must be right...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 21:19:02 pm »

The blue Bedford bug is where its at... PERIOD.

Hotrodvw

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 21:25:13 pm »

Since I started this, and I live in Oregon, not California, I can run what ever damn look I want.   Cheesy

Here's my '67 (Cal-Look for the most part), now with Turbo and C-Lines.  Envision the deck lid mounted up...stood off at the top.  It will get mounted, just not yet.

Sorry Zach.   Grin

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 22:35:51 pm »

I don't think the genre "cal look" is a black and white term that is instantly "applied" the minute a guy bolts BRMs or 48's to a VW. To me it isn't so tangible anyway, it's not something one can just point at and say "this car is, that car isn't, this one is, this one isn't"... especially all based on the motor. Honestly is one car "better" than another because the masses consider it "cal look"? We get into debates of defining "better" and so on. To me, you can even build two very similar cars, same motor specs, and so on, but the subtle things may end up making the car one you could label (if you're into categorizing and labeling guys' cars) "cal look" and the other not. I think maybe the turbo scene is separated out because a lot of guys marry the idea of a turbo Bug with the whole "Pro Street" look, the tubbed tires, Weld wheels, NACA scoops, 4bbl carb hanging out over fender, etc. As you guys posted just above, there are 3 really very cool turbo VW's that fit totally into the genre just as well as any other true blue cal look car. The genre isn't defined by chrome moldings, or color of paint or cc of engine. We went over this years ago here. 20+ years ago, I considered a real cal look VW to have some really hard to find pieces on it, and a general lack of fluff and other crap that did nothing to make it killer fast. The advent of all the reproduction stuff has re defined that today, right? If my view 20 years ago was still the way I saw things, then all the very cool cars running F4 BRMs would be excluded. I'm not really into labeling cars anyway, I just like cars that have soul, some history and go like hell. Helps if the car is under same ownership for a long tme and hasn't been passed around like a high shool girlfriend, too.
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:00 am »

^^ Cal Look!!! ^^
I saw your build thread on the STF and the efforts you made to make it look as stealthy as possible.
Car looks killer with the centerlines!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 16:16:07 pm »

Nice car hotrod.... whatever pigeon hole people end up stuffing it into!

Smiley

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 16:16:47 pm »

Anyone got a link to the build up thread? Yvre?

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 17:44:43 pm »

If it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters Wink

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 18:31:51 pm »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128157&start=0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: