The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:50:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The first one! The Greg Aronson/Jim Holmes looker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The first one! The Greg Aronson/Jim Holmes looker?  (Read 38644 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: April 18, 2006, 14:06:08 pm »

Keith Seume mentions that THE cal-looker of all is still around in his book.
I know it was converted to something Baja like... but I would still love to see a picture of it.
Maybe you guys from way back when can help me out?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:56:55 am »

The last time I saw the Aronson car was about '82.It came to one of our DKK meetings with owner Julie Martin (if I recall correctly..)It was in original cond.The last I heard of it was around 15 yrs ago & somebody I know had located it & the owner had "updated" it .It was not a baja but all of the original bits were gone.The owner was aware of some of its history but was unwilling to part with it.Back then original Cal Look cars were cool but they did not have the reverence they do today.Take a look @ the June 76 HVW,the Mark Hunsaker car is where I bought my 1st set of BRM's in '87.Set of 4 w/ perfect original caps & original lugs & hardware $900..I could have bought the whole car w/ Becker paint,Brads interior,FAT close ratio gear box ect. less motor for another $1000.Did'nt want it ,I had a 55 & that was more desirable @ the time.Things have changed a bit...Later Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 16:11:52 pm »

I think Dean Kirsten tracked down that white Aronsson/Holmes sedan from back in the day. Just my 2 cents.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:35:26 am »

Hot vw's may 75 the aronson / holmes is  for sale,  Here's the announcement  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 18:00:42 pm »

$2700.....That might buy 2 of the wheels today...

Eddy Merckx
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 21:37:53 pm »

oh yes but at that time ,the car had no glory which it has today . How much could she cost today Huh
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 22:10:09 pm by speedwell » Logged

SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 16:25:26 pm »

I got hold of the 75 feb issue back in 1978.......I wanted to buy it at that time but living in Sweden did not make it easy!!.....I saw the ad from 75 then and imagined it had gone for ever........But did it sell then!!! I think I remember Holmes owning it in 78 (Bug In Aug 78 have a photo of the car in the DKP club display)........................So when did it loose it's soul........guessed it lived for quite a while?

I liked the Scott Bakken copy and had the oppertunity to visit Scott and the car back in 2002...........That car had it's soul too and lost it to the racing devil!!!

Happiness is a Hot VW!!
Georg/DFL

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 21:05:26 pm »

Wow Sven-Olof,

that's exactly what I think:

I liked the Scott Bakken copy and had the oppertunity to visit Scott and the car back in 2002...........That car had it's soul too and lost it to the racing devil!!!

Happiness is a Hot VW!!

I first saw the car in 2000, when it was debuted at the Classic week. On Saturday we decided to go to Fuddruckers after the Toy & Literature Show instead of heading for GBE for the rallye. We planed to relax a bit and wait for the end of the rallye. When we reached the parking lot we saw it: It was sitting there in the evening sun under the trees, no other cars in sight. We parked and stayed in the car, just looking at the white beetle. I new from Dean Kirsten that the original car was beyond rescue – but what was it? Slowly we went towards the car. I had goosebumbs in that very moment and still get them when I think of that moment. Was it the real one? Was it a replica? We weren't shure, because we had no clue that Scott Bakken had built that car.

Today it's....well...it lost it's spirit...in my eyes.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 07:42:07 am by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 04:48:22 am »

I get sad when we lose any nice street car to the race track.... Cry

Eddy Merckx
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 08:59:32 am »

"Beond rescue" what does this mean??  Roll Eyes

Georg/DFL

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 00:00:37 am »

It means – as far as I know – all important parts are gone and the body is useless due to rust (?), damage (?), whatever...

Cal Look is not a crime
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Fritte

2044 48IDA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 19:38:12 pm »

It means – as far as I know – all important parts are gone and the body is useless due to rust (?), damage (?), whatever...

As they say. A legend!

12.63-174kmt @ SCC 2012. JPM Dyno: 173hk @ 7000rpm. 209Nm
oppdatere til å bruke
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 21:20:10 pm »

I get sad when we lose any nice street car to the race track.... Cry
it's a beautiful car but damage that scott  don't have to leave in is original version .  bill how the car always maintaining with the ercos and all these ugly stickers??? Sad

ESH

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 23:50:07 pm »

I don't know what other concessions have been made to racing but some stickers and a change of wheels isn't too much of a big deal, still a sweet car. Other than that looks much the same to me. Hey, it isn't a Baja! Looks a world better clean and on BRMs though.

The race/street question is difficult, in the UK we have some tough rules to adhere to for racing which means that anyone racing a street car pretty much has to make it a race car if they're running any kind of time. That said you can keep trim, windscreen wipers, door cards and so on but you have to put in a cage. That said the street guys I know that race still run on the street. So I guess all is not lost. Smiley
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:44:04 am »

What I am trying to say is not so much physical damage to the car ,is that we just see them @ races & not the streets anymore.They always seem to be in the garage with the motor & trans in a zillion pieces.Our DKP cruise nights used to be much larger before Renn Kafer came along & turned a bunch of street cars into shiney race cars to only be seen a few times a year.

Eddy Merckx
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 08:54:59 am »

Seems like something got a little mixed up here... The Scott Bakken car has taken a turn for the worse... like most US cars lately... curse the rennkaefer cup...  but hey, it's just a copy... nothing "holly" about that!

Myself I really can't understand why people build replicas of old cars... and especially car's that are still around?!
Just my $02

Georg/DFL

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 11:59:48 am »

Hi Jon,

I do like replicas, if they are well made – and if the original car is no longer around. And the Aronson/Holmes car might be still in existence, but as said: It's beyond the point where you can bring it back to it's former glory. Ok, with enough money you can build a new car around an old chassis number, but that's not the same.

For me Scotts car does it. It's a very well made replica. Or was, now it's more or less just another white Looker.  Sad

Cal Look is not a crime
ESH

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:14 pm »

...we just see them @ races & not the streets anymore...

That's a pity, it's great seeing a clean looker running hard on the street. The car that came out of the racing thing worse for me was I think Troy Palmer's. Still a great car but it was awesome. It's lost something.

Seems like something got a little mixed up here... The Scott Bakken car has taken a turn for the worse...

That's the one I was referring to, look on the bright side though, it's still pretty much there, just needs a couple of changes.

now it's more or less just another white Looker. 

The worst kind!  Grin
Svwerker

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 17:28:47 pm »

That car had it's soul too and lost it to the racing devil!!!

Isn't that terrible when it happens?  Grin
SplitMan
SCC Crew

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 22:07:56 pm »

Seems like something got a little mixed up here... The Scott Bakken car has taken a turn for the worse... like most US cars lately... curse the rennkaefer cup...  but hey, it's just a copy... nothing "holly" about that!

Myself I really can't understand why people build replicas of old cars... and especially car's that are still around?!
Just my $02

Seems quite a few things got mixed up here... the real question is - WHERE is the REAL Aronson car today?...and who posts a picture of it.. no matter its condition..
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 12:18:06 pm »

I still want to see THE ONE!!!  Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Grin
If I just knew were it was I would jump on a plane and hesd out... same with the Inch pincher 1 or 2...

Any pics clues or rumors?   

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 14:38:14 pm »

Ive heard that it is still around. Even Greg Aronson knows its whereabouts. But all of the desireable pieces are long gone, and the current owner knows enough about the cars history that he wants BIG bucks for it. Ive heard that Greg wants the car back to restore it in its former glory, but the current owner just wants too much for what is left...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 16:27:48 pm »

Ive heard that it is still around. Even Greg Aronson knows its whereabouts. But all of the desireable pieces are long gone, and the current owner knows enough about the cars history that he wants BIG bucks for it. Ive heard that Greg wants the car back to restore it in its former glory, but the current owner just wants too much for what is left...

How Much is Too Much then...?

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 17:21:58 pm »

Here two more of scott's car.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 21:52:57 pm »

The last time I saw the Aronson car was about '82.It came to one of our DKK meetings with owner Julie Martin (if I recall correctly..)It was in original cond.The last I heard of it was around 15 yrs ago & somebody I know had located it & the owner had "updated" it .It was not a baja but all of the original bits were gone.The owner was aware of some of its history but was unwilling to part with it.Back then original Cal Look cars were cool but they did not have the reverence they do today.Take a look @ the June 76 HVW,the Mark Hunsaker car is where I bought my 1st set of BRM's in '87.Set of 4 w/ perfect original caps & original lugs & hardware $900..I could have bought the whole car w/ Becker paint,Brads interior,FAT close ratio gear box ect. less motor for another $1000.Did'nt want it ,I had a 55 & that was more desirable @ the time.Things have changed a bit...Later Bill

Yep... I remember when that car showed up at the DKK meeting. That was the only time I've seen it.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 21:59:18 pm »

What I am trying to say is not so much physical damage to the car ,is that we just see them @ races & not the streets anymore.They always seem to be in the garage with the motor & trans in a zillion pieces.Our DKP cruise nights used to be much larger before Renn Kafer came along & turned a bunch of street cars into shiney race cars to only be seen a few times a year.

I agree with you there. Renn Kafer was a good idea but it has morphed away from a street car class to a purpose built class. Maybe if they went to a bracket style set-up, street cars could be competative.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 22:26:39 pm »

]

I agree with you there. Renn Kafer was a good idea but it has morphed away from a street car class to a purpose built class. Maybe if they went to a bracket style set-up, street cars could be competative.

And ran on a spec "pump" fuel!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 00:52:26 am »

Ya.. that too!

Russell

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 20:10:21 pm »

Guys

We all need original cars, replicas and new ideas to keep the movement going, we all like things slightly different even if it is based on the same floorpan...

If the Aronson/Holmes Looker is out there it should be saved, we spend $$$$$$ to restore cars with no history, an original old careven if it has had a few changes can be brought back to life im sure (we can put a man on the moon and we can beat the V8s) If in the 60's people gave up there would be no Empi, No DDS, No Race Shop and No cal look (heavan forbid) In the 2000's its too easy to buy new, look at the world museumns they are full of restore thinks Planes, cars, Houses and even Dinosoars !

Put it this way if some one has a tel number for the guy that owns it let me know ill buy it take to a show and we can all dream about what might be..............

Russell

Loving Life, Loving VW's

Best Regards

Russell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 20:40:35 pm »

Russell, how can a replica be a new idea, surely that's a contradiction?  I prefer cars to be used as inspiration to produce a modern twist on an old theme, this is the only way the scene can move forward.  unfortuately it sometimes goes wrong, for example the 80's!!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: