The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:30:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  All former DKP members (from the 70's) and Auto Haus past employees!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: All former DKP members (from the 70's) and Auto Haus past employees!  (Read 9936 times)
Stan Davis

« on: April 21, 2010, 05:06:22 am »

YO! It's just "old" Stan Davis trying to make contact with someone from the past! I'm now 62 living in Reno, Nevada and getting ready to Retire! I'll try and get back to this forum as often as I can, but e-mail me at: netspin2@aol.com and tell me where you've been! Would love to hear from the "old gang"!
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »

WOW!!!  UNF%#KINBELIEVABLE!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked  Who'd a thunk it.... where the hell have you been all these years??  Glad to see you made it to the fun zone.  Pull up a chair and tell it like it wuz! Wink Grin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 14:16:27 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:01 pm »

hi stan ,
as sarge said welcome to the fun zone , take a beer ,those are for him  Roll Eyes........   Grin Grin

rgd from belgium

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »

Welcome ! Have fun Wink

deano

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 15:33:01 pm »

Stan, you heading down for the DKP reunion, and the Bug-In next weekend? It would great to see you once again. Last time I saw you, the car of the day was a Lincoln Towncar.... Dean

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 20:23:37 pm »

Hi Stan,

Wondered what ever happened to you.  Getting ready to reitre??  Your still a kid.   Wink Wink Wink Wink  As Marc Buehler put it I'd have to say that you are the most unforgetable character I've ever known.  Welcome to the Lounge.....  Grin Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Stan Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:27:31 am »

Yo Yo Yo ! here it is at 7:30 pm Wed. night April 21st, and I'm trying to reply....already tried to talk with John by phone twice today, but missed him both times, so I left him a long Phone message at work! Don't have your e-mail yet but I'll get it. I have already e-mailed both "Sarge" and Marc Buehler, so got that out of the way. Talked at length (thru e-mail) with Gregg Bunch. Gave him my address and phone. Can't make the DKP Reunion and Bug-In like Deano asked cause my 17 year old Daughter is Graduating from High School AND I'm retiring, all in about 4-5 weeks, BUT I promised Gregg that i would make the next DKP reunion without fail! So there. Went to the DKP website....Lordy, now we're into DKPII and DKP III ! As I've mentioned to Sarge and Gregg, it's both good and amazing that there is still 12 sec. sedans terrorizing (sp?) Orange County! That should keep them "WaterPumpers" in line! Ha!

Ok enough...wanna hear a little at a time of "the old days" as Stan Davis remembers it? OK here goes.....

1. I was in DKP from 1969 to about mid 1973 when I left "unexpectedly" for a year to visit one of our "finer institutions'!
2. Club meetings were at the Pickwick Hotel in downtown Anaheim (can't remember the street). We used to drink at the bar about 100 feet away until time for the Club meeting. Afterwards greg messiner and Doug Gordon used to block off intersections with their VW Busses so we could race unheeded down the adjoining street!
3. we use to have a hanging name board with the names of the 10 fastest cars /drivers in the club. The highest I got was #4. 12.80 at 108 mph I think.
4. one night Doug Haydon had been drinking Wild Turkey 101 and put his elbow through one of the adjoining shop windows near the Clubhouse cause he was drunk, bled like crazy. used to call his brother "Spanky".
5. nothing finer than the Rallys we used to go to on the weekends. used to meet at "Monkey Wards" off of Orangethorpe I think. We always arrived last and made the grand entrance by doing individual burn-outs. remember when Mike Mahaffy (sp?) broke an axle in his 2180 cc split window. used to be brown.
6. Bug-Ins....Lordy lordy.. I was in line to race my car but had some new girlfriend (we all went thru a lot of girlfriends in those days!) and she convinced me to get out of my car and go someplace somewhere to look at exhibits I think, any way all of a sudden I see my car being driven down the dragstrip and the announcer saying that Stan Davis had just won! So I get back to the pit lanes and lo and behold I see Greg Aronson getting out of my car !! He told me that the announcement came to pull up to the burn-out lane so he jumped in. Ha! I laughed soooo hard.
7. i always kept losing girlfriends to other members in the club (or maybe we just passed them around, I forget!) anyway... because I was always busy working on the engine or shining my car up for the weekend. went thru about 4 or 5 that way. I remember Ron Fleming ended up with one of mine.
8. Even after my first marraige I used to go to Carlsbad Raceway without the wife. Probably why it didn't last! LOL

OK OK that's enough for now, plenty more from my feeble little brain in later posts.

See ya everybody! Give me e-mail addresses where I can contact you (Deano - John)

streetvw

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:56:37 am »

WOW Shocked Great stories Stan keep em coming us lot love hearing the stories of the (cough) older (cough) vw guys Wink

do you have any shots of your car that you are able to share?
kingsburgphil

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:28:53 am »

Welcome back from the Twilight Zone Stan!  Always knew you had nine lives  Wink  By the way, you're not going to share ALL those old
stories are you? (wink wink..nod nod)  Grin Grin

Congrats on the daughter/graduate thing
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:02:02 am »

6. Bug-Ins....Lordy lordy.. I was in line to race my car but had some new girlfriend (we all went thru a lot of girlfriends in those days!) and she convinced me to get out of my car and go someplace somewhere to look at exhibits I think, any way all of a sudden I see my car being driven down the dragstrip and the announcer saying that Stan Davis had just won! So I get back to the pit lanes and lo and behold I see Greg Aronson getting out of my car !! He told me that the announcement came to pull up to the burn-out lane so he jumped in. Ha! I laughed soooo hard.

THIS... is an awesome story, Stan. Too cool.

<---also a former Auto Haus (Long Beach store manager) employee.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 18:31:51 pm »

Yo Yo Yo ! here it is at 7:30 pm Wed. night April 21st, and I'm trying to reply....already tried to talk with John by phone twice today, but missed him both times, so I left him a long Phone message at work! Don't have your e-mail yet but I'll get it. I have already e-mailed both "Sarge" and Marc Buehler, so got that out of the way. Talked at length (thru e-mail) with Gregg Bunch. Gave him my address and phone. Can't make the DKP Reunion and Bug-In like Deano asked cause my 17 year old Daughter is Graduating from High School AND I'm retiring, all in about 4-5 weeks, BUT I promised Gregg that i would make the next DKP reunion without fail! So there. Went to the DKP website....Lordy, now we're into DKPII and DKP III ! As I've mentioned to Sarge and Gregg, it's both good and amazing that there is still 12 sec. sedans terrorizing (sp?) Orange County! That should keep them "WaterPumpers" in line! Ha!

Ok enough...wanna hear a little at a time of "the old days" as Stan Davis remembers it? OK here goes.....

1. I was in DKP from 1969 to about mid 1973 when I left "unexpectedly" for a year to visit one of our "finer institutions'!
2. Club meetings were at the Pickwick Hotel in downtown Anaheim (can't remember the street). We used to drink at the bar about 100 feet away until time for the Club meeting. Afterwards greg messiner and Doug Gordon used to block off intersections with their VW Busses so we could race unheeded down the adjoining street!
3. we use to have a hanging name board with the names of the 10 fastest cars /drivers in the club. The highest I got was #4. 12.80 at 108 mph I think.
4. one night Doug Haydon had been drinking Wild Turkey 101 and put his elbow through one of the adjoining shop windows near the Clubhouse cause he was drunk, bled like crazy. used to call his brother "Spanky".
5. nothing finer than the Rallys we used to go to on the weekends. used to meet at "Monkey Wards" off of Orangethorpe I think. We always arrived last and made the grand entrance by doing individual burn-outs. remember when Mike Mahaffy (sp?) broke an axle in his 2180 cc split window. used to be brown.
7. i always kept losing girlfriends to other members in the club (or maybe we just passed them around, I forget!) anyway... because I was always busy working on the engine or shining my car up for the weekend. went thru about 4 or 5 that way. I remember Ron Fleming ended up with one of mine.
8. Even after my first marraige I used to go to Carlsbad Raceway without the wife. Probably why it didn't last! LOL

OK OK that's enough for now, plenty more from my feeble little brain in later posts.

See ya everybody! Give me e-mail addresses where I can contact you (Deano - John)

To fill in the answers to some of Stan’s points I can offer the following:

Item 2:  The street name was Chestnut.  The Bar was the Playmor (sp). Actually on Los Angeles St., later Anaheim Blvd.  It wasn’t Greg Messiner, but Rick Meisner

Item 4:  It was Doug Haydon’s bachelor party and I took him to Anaheim Memorial Hospital on La Palma along with his brother Whit (Spanky) to get stitched up.  One of my faster trips up Los Angeles St.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 21:42:45 pm »

Just got off the phone with Stan.  Nothing ever changes and he still a wild man.  You can hear it in his voice.  We discussed days of long ago and had some good laughs.  Everyone bolt your doors as he says he may return to Orange County in the future.. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Seriously, it was good to hear from him (my most unforgettable character) and I'm glad he is still with us.

Peace brother, peace.......................  Cool Cool Cool Cool

deano

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 22:47:33 pm »

Every time Stan would show up at a meeting, I didn't know whether to run, and duck for cover, or laugh my ass off. NEVER a dull moment when Davis drove in. Great times.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Stan Davis

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:32 am »

a-huh a-huh look out, cause Stan's in the House!
Damn! Feeling good cause I been talking with "My Boys" ! (that would be you, John and Ron!)

Finally.....got in phone touch with Ron Fleming and John Lazenby, and the world is at Peace once again. Don't worry about locking up your Daughters
cause we're all too old to do anything (!) (even though we still may think it!)

so anyway.....for any and all of you who care...sit back my Chilldren and listen to the tall (and mostly true) tales of the famous DKP from 1969-1973

I came to California from Wash. state in 1969. I had a 1962 blue sedan with (wait....don't laugh yet!) goodyear "RedLines" that were about 2 inches wider than the fenders; bolt on header-looking muffler(chrome); and.......a checkerboard black and white BRA !!! Ha! LOL. I came to a DKP meeting through a invite from a guy who worked with Ron Fleming at a little shop in Orange (or Santa Ana, can't remember). More about that next.....
anyway so I'm at the meeting and now it's over and everybody is walking out in front of me (respect man, respect), and Ron is one of the front people, and he sees my car and yells out, DAMN! who's piece of shit car is that? What's with the checkerboard BRA on the front and those stupid looking tires? Well everybody starts laughing and I turn crimson with embarassment (sp?), so I sheepishly answer, it's my car, and Ron goes, "If you want to get in DKP you're gonna have to get rid of those tires and that stupid BRA". Boom. The next day I traded in the tires and got small, low profile skinny ones. Not Pirelli's (cause I still didn't know), but at least smaller...and ripped that BRA right off.
OK...now the second part.....I ran into the guy mentioned above (sorry, seriously can't remember his name, neither could john) when i wanted to build the engine up in my car. Used to drive by (ron's shop where he worked, didn't own) and they had VW engines on a stand in the window and High performance written on the window. So I stopped one day, went in and the first guy to come to the counter was this guy. I didn't know it then but Ron was working in the back. So i told him I wanted a faster engine and we started talking about a 1835 cc size. Not really thinking it was possible for VW's to go fast, I asked if it would be fast once it was built. I didn't want to just get to 90 MPH, I wanted to get to 90 MPH fast! So he called Ron up to the front and told Ron about my doubts. Ron said, "my car has a 1835, come on I'll give you a ride." So we got into his black small window and bammmmmm! We were flying down back streets! My heart was in my stomach and I was holding on for dear life! Right then I said OK, let's do it. Now here's the little twist......that guy built my engine (I am so sorry I can't remember his name!) but couldn't get it to fire when I came to pick it up. So Ron came out to see what was going on and simply stated, "you got the cam in 180 degrees off." And as soon as he fixed that I was zooming (later on to get my first ticket clocked at 95+ racing on Whittier Blvd!). John was saying maybe that was "Snow's Garage....Ron can probably correct us here...YO Ron......

OK couple of other shorter ones (don't go to sleep yet, I'm on a roll!)

I got a 69 sedan later, and somewhere got ahold of 13 inch wheels, just chrome, nothing really special (maybe Johnny's speed and chrome) anyway put the 13's on the front hoping it would look lowered, but there was way too much space in the wheel wells around the tire. So I took out the spare tire under the front hood and "Put in four - 100lb. bags of sand!" to make it sit lower!!! LOL It lowered it, but made the car steer like a tank!!! Drove it that way for about 3 months and didn't tell anybody.

DKP was always on the lookout for some little dragstrip where we could host our own races. (such as Cralsbad), so somehow we rented an abandoned airstrip in Indio, calif. way out in the middle of the desert. When we got there, there was no starting line; no staging lights; no tower; no finish line; and..no timing lights! Just a piece of asphalt with a faded yellow line going down the middle of it! So we tried to measure off a quarter mile and parked cars on both sides to designate the finish line. We put Doug Gordon at the finish to signal us who won. And how did we know back at the starting line who won? Ron or somebody had a pair of binoculars and would look at Doug and Doug would hold up either the right arm or the left arm to signify which lane won !!! Yeowwwwww! How cool is that? LOL

THUMPER ! THUMPER ! the almighty Thumper. Thumper was a drinking game we played at the DKP Clubhouse where we would all sit around in a circle on the floor with our knees crossed with our drink of choice in front of us. Each person (and mind you, we had a lot of girls we would invite for this particular event! wink wink nod nod) would show everybody else "their sign". Some kind of one or two handed signal (peace sign; middle finger sign; whatever). The object was to give your sign first and the someone else's sign as fast as could, hoping they wouldn't recognize it and fail to signal someone else. If you missed your sign being given you had to drink one swallow of your drink. After a few of these meetings, me and Ron, and Greg, and a few of the guys figured out how to make the cutest girl mess up the most so that she would have to drink the most and get drunk the quickest! WOW! were we smart! and it happened many a time, believe me!!!

Ok last story cause I know it's past your bedtimes.........Wednesday nights were always "Grudge Nights" at Orange County raceway (OCIR). Besides all of the DKP club members racing their cars to try and lower their times, we always trailered the original orange underdog out to the track
(overheard at the gas station going into OCIR, "Geez mister, how fast does she go?) anyway Ron and Doug were talking about rear air pressure in the racing slicks and Doug says, "I'm going to lower down to about 6 lbs." Ron didn't say anything, and fired it up and pulled into the lane and did a water burnout. lights go on,  and BOOOOM, the front end of the car lifted straight up sky high at about a 60 degree angle bending the stinger. I think Ron was so startled at how high it went  (and that he couldn't see down the track!) he took his foot out of it...and CRASH! the front end came down so hard it busted out both headlights onto the racetrack! We were all worried and came rushing up, but the crowd thought we did it on purpose and just went BANANAS !!! they were yelling and screaming and clapping their hands. they thought it was all for show! Doug had to get a broom and sweep up the broken glass, and we had to push the 'dog off the track. It was great.

OK alright enough kiddies! time to go to bed. tune in again for more of Uncle Stan's bedtime stories of the wild and wooly DKP !!!

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:21:10 am »

Stan, after reading your bedtime story I am all wound up and want to hear more !
 Grin
marc1951

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:10:28 am »

Hey Stan,

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
marc1951

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:39 am »

sorry about that.....I'm not used to my new laptop and hit the wrong key..

Hey Stan,

You know I don't think I knew you when you had your VW. I met you at Ron's shop when I became a minor partner in the second Underdog. You were living on peanut butter sandwiches.........always had a loaf of bread and the biggest jar of peanut butter I had ever seen.  <grin>
You were hanging out at the shop and helping us with the car and our friendship went from there..............
There are so many stories I would love to share here but I wouldn't want your daughter to read them (or my daughter, for that matter LOL).

Give me a call next week if you can. I would love to hear from you. I'll send you my number.

Marc

Russell

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 08:19:43 am »

Its a pity you guys wont see the Underdog 2 at Bugin, Im sure it would help stir some good stories..... like the ones above, stan welcome to the lounge also.

Best Regards

Russell
marc1951

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 14:44:06 pm »

Its a pity you guys wont see the Underdog 2 at Bug-in, Im sure it would help stir some good stories..... like the ones above, stan welcome to the lounge also.
Wow, Russell
It looks like you've done a great job on Underdog II. It looks better than I what I can remember. I'm flying down for the Bug- In this year and am disappointed that things didn't work out with bringing the car. I'm familiar with the costs and major hassle of shipping a car across the pond and do appreciate your efforts.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Here's the "Dog" in 1971. That's me covering up Ron's name on the door as a joke.

Marc

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 14:50:38 pm »

HA! Excellent picture, Marc. Thanks for sharing.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 16:16:36 pm »

waouwww cool stories stan  i want more bedtime stories

and thx for that coo pictures marc

rgd
fabs

Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 16:18:44 pm »

Stan, cool stories.... Jim "Sarge" Edmiston has told some us younger guys about you, think I was born about 20 yr late... we would have had some fun.

Got any pics or stories about your white '69? Thanks for the history lessons,

Jim R.
Russell

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 16:22:16 pm »

Marc

the car is in LA for Bug in so you will see it, bring the same cloths and we can retake the picture................

Best Regards

Russell
marc1951

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 19:18:06 pm »

Marc

the car is in LA for Bug in so you will see it, bring the same cloths and we can retake the picture................

Bring the same clothes?.........now that's funny!!

But that's not a bad idea. I'll search the thrift stores or maybe one of the Seattle bums has something similar.    <grin>

Seriously,...... I'm excited to see it.

Marc

Rev. Bob

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 19:59:47 pm »

That picture will definitely be on the wall of my shop!  Cheesy

Ghias Rule
bandit

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:15 am »

hey Stan its mike hunsaker i was talking to Ron a while back and asked if he knew where u were, your ears must of been burnin nice to hear your still kickin.

-mike
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 23:27:22 pm »

What happened to Doug Gordon? I heard a rumor that he lives in AZ... actually not just AZ, but a few blocks from me! Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
marc1951

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 03:11:02 am »

That picture will definitely be on the wall of my shop!  Cheesy

Carefull there.....You forget, I have a few pictures of you....................Elvis!

Stan Davis

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 19:59:53 pm »

Ahhhhhhh Sunday, Sunday..... a time for peace relaxation and ALCOHOL!!! oops, sorry! wrong forum!
thought I was osmewhere else there for a second! LOL

let's seeeeee...............where was I? (damn! where was I?) oh...............

so called and talked with Marc Buehler up in the great (?) state of washington...........see, he hasn't been idle all of these years either. talked about some old times both of us had forgotten......Stan's driving the van that's pulling the old Underdog out to the racetrack, when "we" get pulled over by some Cop! Ohhhhh...tense moments for everybody !!! LOL The Mass walks over to me and says, "I'll accidently" bump into him (the cop) and you run into those Orange trees! Hearts are pounding, everybody is tense, and the cop comes over and says everything is fine, he just wanted to make sure the tow vehicle was securely attached. people stopped holding their breath! LOL....(sorry, for those of you that weren't there (or around) at that time, you wouldn't get this, but now looking back at it, it seems pretty funny now!)

ok ok, on with real DKP and street racing stories......in the late 60's and early 70's we used to run "Casler cheater slicks". these were basically real racing slicks but with 2 grooves cut down the middle of the tread so that they were "street legal" . forget where we bought them, but they were too cool looking, nobody else had them, and they definately (sp?) grabbed the asphalt better.

I can remember picking up a date for the first time (first date) in my shiny fast VW sedan (always were called Sedans, never "Bugs"), and proudly sporting my DKP decals in the front vent windows. (damn, where are the vent windows nowadays? nobody makes them anymore, anyway....) and we're crusing down the street on our way to the clubhouse on a Sunday afternoon I think, when a cop drives by (the opposite direction) and flips a ue (how do you spell u e? u-turn..you know) anyway..flips a ue and comes up behind me. Now i'm trying to be cool (hard to do when you're bald and 10 years older than your date! Ha Ha LOL, I still had long hair then!) anyway, he's in back of me and I'm trying to keep up a conservation with the chick, when the red lights come on. I look at my speedometer and I'm not speeding (35 mph, duh, i'm going backwards almost) and signal and pull over to a stop. He gets out walks up to me and tells me that he saw my decals and knows that "everybody" in my club is running something illegal on the street! I go "what?" tells me to get out of the car and he'll show me. Damn! he starts walking around the car with his ticket book out and writing down: too low; modified exhaust; no windshield wipers; no front license plate etc. etc. I'm like, "are you serios?" He goes "damn straight", "all of "you kids" are running illegal modified cars on the street, and he can reconize the decals. (now to set the record straight, if u think about it,  ALL the VW clubs had pretty similiar decals, and there must have been 12-15 clubs in Orange County alone at that time) So he finishes and gives me the fixit ticket and I go back to the car and my date doesn't understand why he was picking on me since I didn't do anything wrong, BUT the best part of this story was, my car at that time was stock VW sky blue, and somebody else (sorry can't remember who) in the club had a STOCK vw sky blue sedan close to the same year! So I put my license plates on that car, drove around till I found a cop, and had him sign it off !!! HA LOL. They were so stupid back then, they didn't know the difference between years, they all "looked the same" to them ! What a crackup!

people are always asking about what car (s) did I have, and do I have any pics of them I can share......Ha Ha that's pretty funny right there, I don't care what you say!  I can tell you I had 28 cars in an 8 month period that DIDN'T belong to me (LOL) , but during my DKP years I owned several sedans, several vans, and one Karnann Ghia. Never had a split-window. Did have a ragtop. Did have a 12 second sedan with Lexan windows, gutted, with a roll cage inside that ran 12.80 and i drove it daily oin the street. Girlfriends hated that car! There's no music....I can't roll the window down.......the engine is too loud!  Give me a break! get out and walk, chick! .....Fastest car that I "owned"? well, that I drove for awhile......1973 Porsche 911S Targa. Mark thurber rode with me and can attest to how fast it was. Think we hit 100 or so going down Brookhurst! Had a 1700 cc bus with dual crbs and a mild cam, with big airplane landing tires in back that used to surprise a few sedans on the street. Had to race from a rolling start because of the gearbox, but I'd pull them for a few blocks.

and where did a lot of us DKP members go to get carzy and pick up chicks? Why, The Velvet Hog" of course. That was some dance place near the College on orangethorpe, I think. I can remember walking out of there and spotting a "Camaro Club" in the parking lot and walking over and going, "Geee, what cool cars...I'll bet these cars are really fast, huh?" and the stupid geeks would go, "yeah, faster than anything you got!" "Really", I'd say....."wanna Race?" and it would be on! we'd go just down the street, pull up to a streelight, and then blow their doors off! they couldn't believe it. "Yeah, you guys are probably running Porsche engines in them Bugs" they would say...and I'd reply, "nope...stock VW motors with modified exhaust?"  Ha Ha Ha Ha LOL, and then we'd blaze away. Such great times.

Oh...I found out who that was who built my first motor that worked with Ron Fleming....Roy Jiminez. Don't think he ever became a member, but that's who it was.

and.......................all of you guys out there....where or what happened to the Photographer for VW Trends (I think)...Jere Aldehoff (sp?) ? I remember he got hit head on in some Off-Road race he was photographing (and survived), but where is he now?

alright...that's enough....gotta drink some more cause I'm almost RETIRED !

everybody feel free to comment or tell me to shut up or add to my post or correct me or you tell some stories of the good old days !!

CHOU (that's chow)

Stan
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 20:47:30 pm »

I can remember picking up a date for the first time (first date) in my shiny fast VW sedan (always were called Sedans, never "Bugs"), and proudly sporting my DKP decals in the front vent windows. (damn, where are the vent windows nowadays? nobody makes them anymore, anyway....) and we're crusing down the street on our way to the clubhouse on a Sunday afternoon I think, when a cop drives by (the opposite direction) and flips a ue (how do you spell u e? u-turn..you know) anyway..flips a ue and comes up behind me. Now i'm trying to be cool (hard to do when you're bald and 10 years older than your date! Ha Ha LOL, I still had long hair then!) anyway, he's in back of me and I'm trying to keep up a conservation with the chick, when the red lights come on. I look at my speedometer and I'm not speeding (35 mph, duh, i'm going backwards almost) and signal and pull over to a stop. He gets out walks up to me and tells me that he saw my decals and knows that "everybody" in my club is running something illegal on the street! I go "what?" tells me to get out of the car and he'll show me. Damn! he starts walking around the car with his ticket book out and writing down: too low; modified exhaust; no windshield wipers; no front license plate etc. etc. I'm like, "are you serios?" He goes "damn straight", "all of "you kids" are running illegal modified cars on the street, and he can reconize the decals. (now to set the record straight, if u think about it,  ALL the VW clubs had pretty similiar decals, and there must have been 12-15 clubs in Orange County alone at that time) So he finishes and gives me the fixit ticket and I go back to the car and my date doesn't understand why he was picking on me since I didn't do anything wrong, BUT the best part of this story was, my car at that time was stock VW sky blue, and somebody else (sorry can't remember who) in the club had a STOCK vw sky blue sedan close to the same year! So I put my license plates on that car, drove around till I found a cop, and had him sign it off !!! HA LOL. They were so stupid back then, they didn't know the difference between years, they all "looked the same" to them ! What a crackup!

Grin Grin to funny stan

and.......................all of you guys out there....where or what happened to the Photographer for VW Trends (I think)...Jere Aldehoff (sp?) ? I remember he got hit head on in some Off-Road race he was photographing (and survived), but where is he now?

it's jere alhadeff  drag racing photgrapher and hot vws

check here

Wink

fabs

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: