The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 18:16:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Which way's up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which way's up?  (Read 1567 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 14, 2010, 21:49:40 pm »

Javabug reminded me of this story from Buggy House, going years back now...

We had a guy with a red and black early Super Bug that had been coming in for years, and in turn, we had built him several motors. He was one of those guys that would go numb when driving I think, and be totally oblivious if the car developed a problem while driving. Like a whole cylinder head could blow off and he'd keep puttering along. As time went on, his engine cc's grew. I think his first go-round was an 87x69 with stock carb, and headers, then we bolted on a single 44IDF center mount. In a few years we morphed the 1641 into a 1776, still with single 2bbl 44IDF Weber, etc.... when he either scattered that one or got bored with it, the guy brought the car in again, for Version III, a 1915, with 110 Engle, 041's... your typical 1990's Buggy House motor. It actually ran ok too, with the single 44, but being the guy he was, he wanted more. Always wondered how this guy could afford to pay for all these "stages", why he didn't just plunk down the money for a 2 liter with dual carbs from the get go... but whatever. He comes in and wants to buy a 2nd 44IDF, and all the stuff to make his car run dual carbs, meaning manifolds and linkage, etc. I knew it ws going to be a losing deal from the start, as we were goign to pay through the nose for ONE Weber 44IDF, and then all the jets and venturies to make the two carbs "match", plus the one air filter, etc, etc, etc. Sure enough, the cost to the guy by the time we got all the parts in hand, was about the same as a Redline dual 44IDF kit. Jerry shone a penlight down the one carb to get venturi size in the existing carb, and made a list of jets, and of course when the single "other" 44IDF came, it had all the wrong stuff in it. No big deal, Jerry could pop the new 44 open and install all the matching stuff.
Few days later, and the conversion is complete. Fresh Berg fan shroud linkage kit on, new Bugpack manifolds and the two "matching" 44IDFs crowning them. Ready for blast off, right? Not quite. First test drive, Jerry leaves the shop, pulls into traffic, and the car sounds horrible. Two cylinders, blubbering, bogging, snapping, coughing... it's so bad, Jerry gets out and pushes car back to driveway. He's mad now. "I told this son of a bitch to leave this FUC+ING car ALONE, but NOOOO, gotta go and change sh!t aorund, and now I'M stuck trying to make this piece of sh!t run!!!!"
Jet change after jet change, carbs on, cabrs off, countless sets of plugs, hours and hours of bent over, Jerry cutting his hands up, I can remember the tension in that shop that week. Nobody dared bother him. Not even Little Frank.
No matter what he did, the car would not run above idle. It just ran like total garbage.
Days later, at his wits end, Jerry pulls the "new" 44 off, and strips it down bare. Upon doing so, he found the problem.

When installing the new venturies originally, he made the mistake of installing the aux venturies UPSIDE DOWN, so the dump tubes for the main circuit were facing the sky, not the cylinders.  Roll Eyes
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:39:16 am »

Not funny!  I've been second guessing the same thing in my Dells after reading the Dell book the other night.   Angry

But my car drives, so I'm probably ok.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: