The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 18:26:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  Bug-In 18 Remembered
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bug-In 18 Remembered  (Read 14258 times)
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:49 am »

I got an Email saying something about one of my Karmann Ghia's being mentioned at Cal Look Lounge. I was wondering about it and so here I am. I got to meet French Fred at Bug In 35. I was surprised to see interest in my Ghia.
The car was the second Karmann Ghia I owned. There is a photo of my first Ghia coupe on theSamba. It was a 1967 with the early EMPI 8 spoke wheels. Those wheel were 2 piece with a big O-ring. The 1966 white KG coupe has real BRM's. They were hard to keep up. I purchased them from EMPI. I sold the car to a camera man from one of the TV stations. He kissed a curb and destroyed one of the wheels. Steve Walker purchased the remaining 3 from him, I believe? It was a long time ago. I had a Momo steering wheel on the car. French Cibie concaved headlights. Hella taillights. The paint was a Chevrolet Truck color with some blue added to it. I later installed a 912 Porsche rear grill in the decklid. A few years ago I started a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible for my wife. As things sometime go I sold the car before it was completed. The engine was so strong my wife would not put it into 4th gear or go up hills. There was plenty of power but she was afraid of it getting away from her. It was a fun car. My new car is a 1966 Beetle with a 2165 engine. I am also working on a 1968 Single cab. Still machining after 42 years.

Welcome on the Lounge ! Your white ghia looked awesome, thanks for the informations about it.  Wink

LuftsickTero

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:58 am »

I got an Email saying something about one of my Karmann Ghia's being mentioned at Cal Look Lounge. I was wondering about it and so here I am. I got to meet French Fred at Bug In 35. I was surprised to see interest in my Ghia.
The car was the second Karmann Ghia I owned. There is a photo of my first Ghia coupe on theSamba. It was a 1967 with the early EMPI 8 spoke wheels. Those wheel were 2 piece with a big O-ring. The 1966 white KG coupe has real BRM's. They were hard to keep up. I purchased them from EMPI. I sold the car to a camera man from one of the TV stations. He kissed a curb and destroyed one of the wheels. Steve Walker purchased the remaining 3 from him, I believe? It was a long time ago. I had a Momo steering wheel on the car. French Cibie concaved headlights. Hella taillights. The paint was a Chevrolet Truck color with some blue added to it. I later installed a 912 Porsche rear grill in the decklid. A few years ago I started a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible for my wife. As things sometime go I sold the car before it was completed. The engine was so strong my wife would not put it into 4th gear or go up hills. There was plenty of power but she was afraid of it getting away from her. It was a fun car. My new car is a 1966 Beetle with a 2165 engine. I am also working on a 1968 Single cab. Still machining after 42 years.

Welcome on the Lounge ! Your white ghia looked awesome, thanks for the informations about it.  Wink

X2. Maybe you could share some of your old photos in here too  Smiley

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 11:40:37 am »

welcome to the lounge ron, nice to meet you there

fred
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 01:13:11 am »

Hello RJ and glad to have you here.
I took that photo of your Ghia at Bug-In and I didn't even know you then, but saw that it was above average and very sanitary. Since then our mutual friends Larry R and Steve W have introduced us and filled me in on some of the history. Small world we live in nowadays.
I'm sure as time goes by we'll see more but for now check out his extensive photo gallery under the same user name in TheSamba for lots more historic pictures.
Bruce
nlvtinman

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:55 am »

Ron aka "Geezer"...,  I didn't know what had happened to your Ghia after you sold it.
But I do know I WISH that I had been the guy who bought the 3 good BRM's. Wasn't me...hummmm, wonder who DID get them?
Steve
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 05:08:07 am »

Welcome to the forum! And great to hear yet more stories. Also great to hear you're still involved. Now, we just need some photos… Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
1946vw

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 06:25:54 am »

I have seen that car in my shop. I bought it a year or two after the Bug In.
1946vw

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 06:28:30 am »

How about Bug In 20
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: