The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:48:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Larry Shaw's Black/Gold Bug?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Larry Shaw's Black/Gold Bug?  (Read 22839 times)
plasticblack

« on: May 15, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

Does anyone out there have any good detail shots of this Great Bug.

I've mislaid my old magazines with this car in, so could a kind soul help me out.. Smiley

fredy66

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

think its in Japan now days
It was in a magazine some years a go

arabia slugs
plasticblack

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:22 am »

Yes you're right the car is in Japan no with a collector.

It was featured in Volksworld looking Very Dusty Sadly Cry
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 13:46:25 pm »

here we go paul  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 13:48:50 pm »

the gold DDS shifter is in belgium now , and the car went to bee haus collection since that she was at rich kimball place

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 13:50:58 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 13:52:52 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 13:55:16 pm »

Wink

plasticblack

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 14:55:50 pm »

Thanks Fabs...

To the Rescue.... Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 19:23:42 pm »

I have been told that there was a reason why only the pass side was shown in that HVWs story.  Anyone else heard that?   Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:59 am »

Hmmmm, was one side a little better than the other? Or is it one of those double takes where you look at a babe and are sure one boob is higher than the other   Cheesy Grin

The cars colour scheme always remind me of the JPS lotus F1 cars.... which I loved as a youngster (Sclaextric!)

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 13:34:59 pm »

I remember that, very well... it was the beginning of the end. No longer was a normal Cal Look VW (read: daily driver) able to do well at the old Bug In events.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
plasticblack

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 14:11:21 pm »

Thanks for the info/Pics Folks.

It's the chassis/underside detailing that I'm most interested in.

Overall I'm not a Lover of the Car. but it has a place in Cal Look History as Larry rightly points out.

The Rules had been well and truly rewritten in terms of what a Show Winner had to do from then on.

Good or Bad?       Right or Wrong?

That's History for you.. Grin 
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 16:53:59 pm »

To the guys that were around when this car came out... How did you feel about it?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Gary Justus

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 18:15:57 pm »

Not that my opinion meant anything then (or now for that matter) but I had mixed feelings. At that time, the car was beautiful and well done. Very high quality. But there was that "over the top" aspect that left me a little cold. It really wasn't too much different than many of the over-engineered cars we're seeing today. That car did set a high bar that continually got higher during the mid to late 80's.The last time I saw it was at Pomona in the cars for sale area. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was  mere shadow of it's former glory. The brass plating was very scratched and dull. The car really was in sad shape. Now it's gone,,,,,,and I still have mine.
plasticblack

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 18:42:11 pm »

As I said it was featured in  looking very sad & dusty.

Not really a fitting situation for a milestone car from back then is it? Cry

I agree that it did seem a little OTT even back then, but everything has its day.

I quite like the idea of some Gold Plating, but getting the amount just right is not so easy as Larry's car proves? Undecided

Who's going to be brave enough to' go for Gold'Huh? Grin
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 18:57:55 pm »

I almost got my glovebox door gold plated so that i could mount all the bug-in plaques (inside and out), but decided against it, £200 was a little steep!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 19:00:51 pm »

here's the car in bee haus collection  Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 19:13:44 pm »

To the guys that were around when this car came out... How did you feel about it?

IMHO

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Dan Mazur

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 19:23:02 pm »

Wow! Gold plated wheel adapters!!  Tongue Cheesy

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
jick

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 19:35:32 pm »

As I said it was featured in  looking very sad & dusty.

Not really a fitting situation for a milestone car from back then is it? Cry

I agree that it did seem a little OTT even back then, but everything has its day.

I quite like the idea of some Gold Plating, but getting the amount just right is not so easy as Larry's car proves? Undecided

Who's going to be brave enough to' go for Gold'Huh? Grin

i'm brave enough!

im going for a black&gold theme  for my engine....a few gold anodised parts and a few gold plated..... Wink
apart from the interior i love the overall look of Larrys car........sure it's OTT, but its refreshing to see amongst a sea of rule-book cal-lookers

plasticblack

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 19:43:04 pm »

i'm brave enough!

im going for a black&gold theme  for my engine....a few gold anodised parts and a few gold plated..... Wink
apart from the interior i love the overall look of Larrys car........sure it's OTT, but its refreshing to see amongst a sea of rule-book cal-lookers
[/quote]

You're my Hero......... Cheesy
volksnut

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 21:11:36 pm »

funny, I always thought the car was parted out, as years ago I had the gold plated Deano shifter
Cornpanzer

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 23:04:28 pm »

If I recall correctly, either the day before or the day of the photo shoot, the drivers door flew open and crunched the quarter panel.    Shocked  Maybe Deano can fill in the details.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Eric Justus

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 03:32:03 am »

If I recall correctly, either the day before or the day of the photo shoot, the drivers door flew open and crunched the quarter panel.    Shocked  Maybe Deano can fill in the details.

Jeez..even I am old enough to remember that. Here bud:

"Larry Shaw, owner of the 'Brass Bug', called me to color sand and rub out his new black paint job, as R.K. Smith was going to shoot the car for the cover of Hot VW's magazine.

After a few hours of work, the car had deep and brilliant show car shine, was detailed from top to bottom, and ready for R.K. to show up. Upon arrival, R.K. outlined the details of the shoot at Larry's shop in Costa Mesa. We were all jazzed to get rolling.

Larry hopped in the car, gingerly drove about 50 feet , then suddenly put the pedal to the metal, and revved the brilliant black beast to over six grand. He let out the clutch, lit up the rear tires, and the passenger side suicide door came unlatched. The door flung open and smashed the entire rear quarter panel of the car.

We all had tears in our eyes after witnessing what seemed like the worst carnage you could imagine. Despite some serious depression, we all agreed let R.K. Smith perform his magic, positioned the car just right, and R.K. finished a beautiful the photo shoot, with no one but us the wiser.

At the end of the session I turned to Larry and said, 'I think I know why they call them suicide doors now...' ".

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:48 am »

yes young justis/my words.....and all very true.  when larry unveiled the "brass bug" heads were turning/some slower than others and visa versa. that day of the photo shoot was tragic indeed but larry recovered rather quickly as they say and had "one day"body and paint respray the passeneger side and I reworked the side and detailed it for its first show win.  YUK..!! was my first impression/not into suicide custon stuff or lots of brass/chrome or whatever/alloy adaptors..etc....but will have to say a nice piece regardless. Kimballs friend and neighbor,(Andy), bought the car and had me detail it like the old days and I negotiated a very fair deal to Akira Ueno from Bee Haus where the car sits along with all the other 'dirty' relics of history.
plasticblack

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 07:06:01 am »

Where the car sits along with all the other 'dirty' relics of history.
[/quote]

Thanks for the History Don.

It's good that the car still survives and who knows perhaps it will return again one day in some form or other... Undecided
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:29 am »

Hey, what ever happen to Larry Shaw?

VW Classic 2012
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 15:50:24 pm »

bee haus collection ....what else is in this collection?
Neil Davies

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 16:24:11 pm »

bee haus collection ....what else is in this collection?

Kris Klingaman and Mike Smith's Modified Compact racers, the Goin' Bananas car, and several others. Remember the Volksworld feature a few years ago? Seems like the storage for them isn't great though. Not water tight, everything covered in dirt and dust. I'm hoping that it's all just temporary storage until something more permanent gets sorted, but I know that land is at a premium in Japan so the chance to build something with enough space to show everything off is pretty slim.  Undecided At least Akira had the foresight to store the cars at all, not part them out as often happens to cars that at the time were considered not important.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: