The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:47:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350798 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Anyone had problems with ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone had problems with ...  (Read 1901 times)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« on: May 28, 2010, 16:22:22 pm »

Distributor drive gear failures? Specifically, I had the brass/bronze gear wear out on a recent build ... probably has 1000 miles on it! The drive gear under the distributor is aftermarket. I didn't want to use it, but didn't have a german unit available at time of assembly. Sad
The engine was running strangely and had broken an ignition rotor! The locating tab inside was sheared off. Replaced that and checked the timing to find it was erratic and producing 38* of advance! Tried another distributor ... same thing. Then I checked the gear to find it was quite sloppy.
Now I have to tear it back down Cry

I'm starting to hate aftermarket parts.

Thanks,
TxT
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 16:25:29 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
RhoadsVW

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 18:18:11 pm »

Check the bottom of the case where the drive sits.  I have had a couple cases go bad and take out the brass gear. Also if your running a stock fuel pump the spacer block sometimes sets the push rod over and it will jump off the drive or ride on the edge of the drive putting excessive wear on the brass gear. Always check the position of the fuel pump rod before assembling the case. I take and grind out the case to move the push rod over onto the drive more.  Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 18:18:50 pm »

I wonder if the angle they cut teeth on the aftermarket pinion is out of index. I'll tell you, I absolutely refuse to use new aftermarket timing gears or pinions
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 18:57:12 pm »

I'm starting to hate aftermarket parts.

Just now?! Cheesy

I'll take decades old original parts over new stuff any day, and that goes for any car.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: