The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:13:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bugs for Breakfast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Bugs for Breakfast  (Read 23224 times)
TexasBug

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2010, 14:18:50 pm »

Jay from Texas here...I note that Tuna uses a Bocar 30 Pict-1 on his Imp.  Can you really make that carb work?  Out here we use them for parts but don't attempt to use them or to rebuild them.  The German 30's are so reliable.  If the throttle shaft orifice leaks, we send them to be bushed and go from there.  I've been running these little carbs for 34 years with great success.  In a pinch, the Brazilian H 30/31 is great, as well.

I recently rebuilt the 30 Pict-1 for my '67 Bug.  I sent the bottom half to Fort Worth to a shop for bushing.  Round-trip took 4 days and I was back on the street good as new for $50 dollars plus the kit.  I do the cleaning and kitting myself. 

We just celebrated the 5th anniversary of our group's founding.  We had a good group present.  For a by-invitation-only group that no one knows about, we had 19 present with 14 air-cooleds.  We discussed things such as how to obtain or manufacture rear tube-axle oil slinger washers--not available on the market, you know. 

One of our group had a featured ad in Hot VW's for July--showing some of his fiberglass work--wiring covers, glove boxes, etc., etc.  He also does carbon fiber dash covers, glove box covers, etc. for that custom touch (Southwest Fabrication--www.swfabrication.com).  Check it out.

Did you find a "permanent" breakfasting location?  While it's good to do different things, having a "permanent" spot saves having to remind people where to go.

We're planning a cruise away from Dallas for a nice breakfast at an historic location.  Should be a great trip and an eye-catcher for those who see us.

Hey...take care out there and remember:  HAPPY MOTORING!

jay from texas
Hecker

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:00 am »

New information on a logical place.....at a normal time !!! See new thread !!
tuna

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2010, 18:17:48 pm »

I note that Tuna uses a Bocar 30 Pict-1 on his Imp.  Can you really make that carb work?

The carb was a new one that I had purchased when I was working at a VW shop in Redlands, CA. After purchasing the Imp, the carb on it wasn't cooperating, so I used this Bocar to see if I could get it working. It fired up with no hesitation and it's been running on there for the last ~13 years. I can't complain about it, it's worked perfectly day in and day out.

Tuna

My VWs - http://tunacan.org/cars/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - http://tunacan.net/t4/
EMPI Imp Homepage - http://tunacan.net/imp/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - http://tunacan.net/t4corner/
TexasBug

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2010, 16:50:21 pm »

Well...I see that So-Cal L.A. is selling that Patina-ed '67 Red Bug!  Does this mean an end to participation in the group?  jay from texas
TexasBug

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2010, 16:52:33 pm »

Hello, Tuna...Well, then, your Bocar 30 Pict-1 was a good investment!  I'll have to check my stock.  I have one which appears to be "like-new".

Happy 4th to all of you folks out that way!  Wave the Flag and remember how blessed of God we are!

jay from texas
TexasBug

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 16:47:50 pm »

Hello, Fellows...I have not checked in for awhile.  I mentioned some time ago that what used to be the largest VW club in North Texas recently closed its doors.  They had the last Bug Swarm Show in late September.  I just had to go to see people whom I wouldn't see on a normal basis.  Had a great time and bought as much as I could at the swap that was held with the show.  What a shame to see this venue go away.  I aim to speak with some people who might promote for next year. 

You have heard of the infamous "bastard" Bus engines, I am sure.  I obtained one of these that had been used, apparently, in a stationary application.  It had never been opened.  Case and crank and cam, etc. were in excellent condition.  I just sold it to a fellow who is building an engine for his '60 Bus.  It should be right in style for his vehicle.  The Bastard sported pedestal rocker arms and other weird parts.  How about right and left valve covers?  Why VW did this is still a mystery--it turned out to be an engineering fiasco and cost VW dearly.  When a customer would drag his Bus into the shop (from what I'm told) the technicians would just trash the engine and install a fresh one.  I was glad to save one more of these and hope to see it on the road soon.

Did you finally settle on a regular meeting place?  Seems like that was the topic most on your minds when I last checked.  I hope that you continue to build your group and have a great time of it.

That's about it from cool-weather North Central Texas!  Have a great weekend ahead!

jay from texas
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: