The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 22:38:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Who else misses the Berg catalog/Blue Book information?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who else misses the Berg catalog/Blue Book information?  (Read 4205 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: June 02, 2010, 22:08:27 pm »

No disrespect to the other VW parts vendors out there, or to GBE, but I dug out my old dog eared catalogs and technical Blue Books, and realized, Berg was the only vendor that offered the hobby the wealth of tuning info, to this extent. The instructions that are suppiled with parts I order, and/or are in their publiccations have never been parallelled in the industry. Heck, some parts show up in packages from some vendors with NO instructions. For the guys that have been around the block, this wouldn't be a problem. But for novices, just getting their feet wet, no information and/or instructions can spell TROUBLE.

I haven't seen a new Berg catalog since my last few years @ Buggy House (1997-8?) or a newsletter, which is too bad. It was always fun to sit down and read the latest tech tips and Gene-isms.

I have to say, we have to pay respect to a man who was so dedicated to our hobby.

Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 22:26:26 pm »

I have to agree Jim.  I have been a Berg advocate ever since getting my first Berg catalog.  I managed to cultivate a very friendly relationship with Gene personally and will treasure that forever.  His catalogs and newsletters are priceless.  I have a good collection of the catalogs and newsletters.  It's always fun to go back and reread them.  I can't believe that I have friends that would throw the old one away as soon as the got the new one in the mail.  I still have everyone I ever received from them.  I also save every receipt from the Bergs.  I have three books with my receipts and instructions for all of my builds.

You are correct when you say that many suppliers have no instructions what-so-ever for there merchandise.  I remember buying not Berg stuff and the R&D was pretty much on me.  At least the Bergs tested their stuff before selling it to the public.

Many people may disagree with what Gene stated about engine builds, but they don't disagree with the quality of his products.  Gene demanded high quality.  It was his name on the package.  Back in the day not everyone felt that way.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 23:57:16 pm »

I have to agree Jim.  I have been a Berg advocate ever since getting my first Berg catalog.  I managed to cultivate a very friendly relationship with Gene personally and will treasure that forever.  His catalogs and newsletters are priceless.  I have a good collection of the catalogs and newsletters.  It's always fun to go back and reread them.  I can't believe that I have friends that would throw the old one away as soon as the got the new one in the mail.  I still have everyone I ever received from them.  I also save every receipt from the Bergs.  I have three books with my receipts and instructions for all of my builds.

You are correct when you say that many suppliers have no instructions what-so-ever for there merchandise.  I remember buying not Berg stuff and the R&D was pretty much on me.  At least the Bergs tested their stuff before selling it to the public.

Many people may disagree with what Gene stated about engine builds, but they don't disagree with the quality of his products.  Gene demanded high quality.  It was his name on the package.  Back in the day not everyone felt that way.
Yeah Don, it is fun to hunt and peck through the older books. Funny, even though I feel like I've read the words off the pages, but I still find something new almost every time I read them.
pupjoint

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:43:55 am »

I first bought his books and catalogue in 1996 when I was 15. Considered a big deal for me since I am in south east Asia and had to mail order everything.  My dad paid for it that time. Till today they are well kept and I also have the other additions and newsletters.

People can criticise a lot, but I have not seen others with such detailed info.

What I hope to see more is more updated versions and more innovative products from them now.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 20:31:00 pm »

I worked @ a VW speed shop parts counter for over 10 years. I can tell you, if a fourth of our customers took the time to read half of what was written in the Berg publications, our "NFG return rate" would have been a fraction of what it was. So many kuckleheads would turn to using a sledgehammer instead of a jeweler's screwdriver to "fix" things, then bring the mutilated poor part back to us for a "warranty." 90.5 cylinders forced into a new case with an axe (no kidding), cams clearanced for strokers with a hacksaw (no joke), wood screws holding valve covers to heads, cars wired with speaker wire, the list could on on forever. Ironically, these "repairs" were made by guys that would strut around in the "VW Service" dealer-like smocks and workshirts and would profess that "they should own a shop" and "would run Buggy House out of business"  Roll Eyes
Not sure, but I think all of these professional "techniques" stemmed from so many aftermarket parts being sold with little, if any, good installation instructions. (Not that most of these "engineers" could even fricking read). These clowns never would man up for Berg parts anyway. But, seriously, if you bucked up for the good stuff from Berg, rest assured, you were going to get the best info as to how not only to install, but also maintain your stuff. Why no other vendors "caught on" and followed suit is a mystery to me.
carlnolen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 14:39:24 pm »

I'm right there with you guys. Back in the day, way before the internet, hotrod vw tech stuff was hard to come by. Just a few local people or a couple of mags is all you had to go on. I do not remember when I noticed Gene's tech stuff, but once I did, I soaked it up. You may not agree with all of Gene's stuff, but, it was out there. What I really liked about Gene's tech stuff is his OEM mind set. I worked as a mechanic in a VW dealer for 20 years and understand the OEM mind set. What used to really crack me up about Gene is when he said that someone would do something because" he said this or that", not do something based on R&D. Gene gave his opinion based on his own R&D, what worked for him, and good common mechanical sense. Good stuff to me.

Carl
karl h

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:39:29 am »

still have the instruction and the tech article books in my garage, as well as the catalog and use them all the time
i remember meeting gene in person and getting the tour, i think it was 1989, it was an amazing place
as far as why nobody elso followed his example, i can tell you that: too much work

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: