The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Single Port Porting ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Single Port Porting ??  (Read 34381 times)
RFbuilt

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 18:42:49 pm »

bringing a dormant thread back up..

amidst the everlong parts completing project for my 88x74 build..

i figure i have an excuse..  my 1600sp is misfiring..  hint of barrel leaking or valves leaking

an excuse for this..

go easy on me.. im far from a seasoned vw head porter (i port hondas LOL)

- the dirtiest workbench, an SP head, 2 honda heads in the background and my bug (partially lol)

sp port entry to chamber 2 (or intake valve number 2 lol)

sp port entry to chamber 1
RFbuilt

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 18:46:27 pm »

chamber 1 view to intake port

chamber 2 view to intae port

a nicer/closer view of chamber 1 to intake port

pardon me.. the head is dirty

exhaust port,  i was under the assumption that SP heads need more help in the intake side.. so all was done here is fluffin and buffin

im eager to learn,   let me know  if i did wrong , or sumthin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 18:48:42 pm by RFbuilt » Logged
RFbuilt

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 15:32:31 pm »

ok , reviving yet  super dormant thread

(yep saw the red letter warning on posting LOL)

just want to share,  the pics i showed, recieved a multi angle valvejob with a radius top cut (i use this for honda's  i was asuming both value in airspeed  over flow, so it might work? )

the 1679cc  runs awesome been running since March sorry i didnt get to update sooner, next engine project may be delayed as im still enjoying this jalopy

it currently uses a 30pic ,  1 3/8 merge header , jetted with 137mains LOL 
8.4:1 static comp , stock case (un opend, just installed new machine in barrels and the sp heads)
009 distributor, no pinging running 95RON

nearly done with the sp manifolds for my kads and im stoked  to try em' 

it runs circles around my dads 1600dp stocker  hahaha  (maybe im hallucinating)

anyways  sorry for bringing this back up, will try to get current updates  and pics 
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 19:21:18 pm »

Ralf,
You will really dig it with the Kadrons!
Back when, I ran a 1600 with Kadrons, stock cam with 1.25 rockers, 1 3/8 exhaust & dual QPs, 009 with electronic ignition ... ran great!
In town 27 mpg & 36 on the highway!
Should have NEVER SOLD IT Cry

Oh well, had to go Stroker! LOL
Take care & Good luck!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
RFbuilt

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 20:01:09 pm »

funny u mention that.. as it is.. its beating my racer honda.. that does 15.5km to a liter

Smiley   cant imagine it improving a bit and with more oomph!!!

stroker? i guess they go big in texas...  gotta represent? hahaha

thanks tom

ralf'
youngnstudly

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 06:03:55 am »

You guys have me all excited to get going on my single port. I am actually waiting on the heads from Jeff Denham right now, so I can't go any farther at this point. I'm in the process of rebuilding my Kadrons right now and getting ready to send my parts for balancing though. I really like the other single port's I've driven, so this one should be fun.  They can certainly pack a punch that you don't expect!

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 21:45:03 pm »

where did "billy" go....AWESOME single port turbo project that KICKS ASS..!!  >> Andy...e mail me regarding your present situation (in complete)and i will see what I can do to help in regards to securing your heads being finished.  Anyone been pricing the cost of done H.P.single ports as of late??....looking for a set cut for 90.5 and ready to go..??... If interested  e mail me as my trick freshened up "old school" single ports are sitting and waiting for a new home... starting a new project with more "mo jo".  peace /Dyno   ps, if interested pull up my old ad in the for sale section and check'm out.... Thanks

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 00:03:19 am »

Interesting thread !
I thought I was the only one "Hot Rodding" single port heads.
My heads are for my Empi GTV.
They have 39mm X 35.5mm EMPI stamped valves and are bored for 88mm Empi Slipper Skirt p&c's.
Along with vintage Empi dual springs, spacers and spring retainers.
The porting was done by Fumio Fukaya.
They were also port matched to the Shorrock supercharger manifold endcastings by Fumio.
:-)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 05:48:28 am »

That sounds like it will be a fun little motor.

I think I still have a set of ported single ports that (I think) were done by the same guy that did the ones on Dyno's Notch racer.

Dyno: I can't remember the name of the guy.. he had a shop down on Superior in Costa Mesa.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 18:15:35 pm »

xlnt Richard...back in the day I use to oggle a nice set of s/P's...and still do to this day. Good luck on your project.    D.D.  ps,recheck those retainers and be sure they are NOT aluminum....single hd sping ok/  dual spring..??  seen MANY destroy a good engine from pulling through due to stress with dual springs and or too much lift requirement//FYI...
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 19:03:50 pm »

Hi Rick,  mmmm...superior,costa mesa.?..crawford engineering comes to mind...BUT...>>Randy Jones/in fullerton was the only person besides myself that did any headwork on my  1600 sp heads.         fyi...In the above mentioned and pictured is a cool "D "port design for those that want to increase the flow from the roof of the intake.  Remember some things look cool but still take time and money especially when you are welding,grinding,matching,profiling,etc....   my fond memories...>> 1) out of many was when I raced a friend(Don Buckey from DVB) behind the world famous Nabisco factory in buena park in the mid 70's with my ruby red 67 sedan....he had been hearing about my credentials with my single port 1600 kadron equipped engine (stock cranked/120cam/stock valved(p&p) single ports /kadrons/1 3/8 exhaust)... so he put together a 1776 with a vz25 and 44 webers with 40x35 ported dual ports and1 1/2 exhaust and brought it out just for me. Well needless to say after my 60ft radial tire smokers he was lit to be fit so we raced each other and I blew his doors off by a couple of car lengths...it was BITCHIN' to see the look on his face as well as the scores of bedazzled onlookers...
RFbuilt

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 13:29:21 pm »

any new things with the singleport runners here?  Grin
youngnstudly

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 06:49:11 am »

>> Andy...e mail me regarding your present situation (in complete)and i will see what I can do to help in regards to securing your heads being finished. 

Wow, I am sorry I didn't see your message earlier Dyno. I'll send you an email (unless your coupon expired?  Grin).

any new things with the singleport runners here?  Grin
I have been putting my "backup" 1600cc (now 1679) engine together but am lacking the motivation to finish it. It needs another 6 or 8 hours and it's ready to fire...can someone please put their foot through the back of their modem and send me a swift kick in the ass to finish this? Roll Eyes

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 08:18:13 am »

Don, weren't you dubbed the Single-Port Kadron King for a while there? You were an inspiration to all us bucks-down gremmies.

Dyno: I can't remember the name of the guy.. he had a shop down on Superior in Costa Mesa.

Lonnie Reed at The Head Shop? I seem to recall that his shop was on Superior.

If we're going to get nostalgic, I miss Costa Mesa. Don't miss all the people who live there because they can't afford Newport Beach, tho. Because of them all the good stuff--Mesa Theater, Stag Bar, The Helm, that Italian joint on Harbor/19th, Kymco Motorsports (when it was Kymla's) Cuckoo's Nest, and Sid's (even though it was technically Newport)--got redeveloped.

[/weepy nostalgia]

Back on topic. In the '80s I had a friend who had an 1835 that his dad built for a buggy the family had in the '70s. It had an unknown cam, high compression, a Zenith, and worked-over single-port heads. They put it in my pal's Bug and when that car was on, man it was on. On a quarter-mile track it would've been worthless but between stoplights it would put a hurt on just about anything that crossed its path.

The key, as always, is the combination. And lots of compression doesn't hurt, either.  Wink

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
RFbuilt

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 19:24:14 pm »

youngstudly -

to keep u going... or a swift modern kick LOL

the pictures i posted above.. of the sp portwork i did.. as i mentioned is on my 1679cc daily.. and been running good
8.5 simthing compression stock cam etc stock valve..  with 30pic  jetted with 140mains now  bfor it was 137s

my dad borrowed it yesterday for the whole day.. driving to hardware stores and paintstores as we finish the new house..
and he was cruising and lugging it with the airconditioner on LOL

because im stoked with how it runs for a comuter,  

the next few pics will be a new rendition of the daily sp motor
but will be 85.5x74  to make 1699cc and a split lift split dur. cam Smiley

in its crude state

i made a rough pass with the carbide bit, then for better visuals, passed a bit of 60grit rolls

the entry
RFbuilt

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 19:29:08 pm »

then the next stuff..

after making a few more passes on the 60grit roll

valve entry to the right

valve entry to the left

chamber view from the right side valve

chamber view from the left side of valve

pardon the lighting.. im just using my phone Smiley

if u need more swift kick to get u goin.. i can post some exhaust ports

LOL

go finish yours man!!!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 20:12:52 pm »

Lonnie Reed at The Head Shop? I seem to recall that his shop was on Superior.

Don't think it was Lonnie either. When I was into it, Lonnie's shop was on Chestnut in Santa Ana.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
youngnstudly

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 22:46:35 pm »

Those heads look sweet! I am working on my engine today. I am not very happy with the heads on my engine after getting really screwed by a local machinist that did a very poor job and charged all the money! I picked the heads up and the local shop had 2 different deck heights on my heads (one head is flycut.010" and the other .060"), he charged me for a complete valve job and admitted he didn't grind the valve faces or stems at all, he cracked a guide boss installing one of the guides, and then charged me $30 more to assemble the heads after we agreed that I didn't want them assembled since I was going to unshroud the valves. I think he wanted to hide the cracked guide boss behind the valve spring so he assembled them and didn't mention the cracked guide boss. The worst part was the bill was $50 more ($275 total and I supplied the valves, springs, all the hardware, and both heads were already disassembled and bead blasted by me), then he took a week longer than promised to finish them.  He BS'd his way around all of my complaints so I just left and I'm never going back!  Angry

I sent Jeff Denham a friendly message to see how the 1915 heads are coming...I wish the local VW machine shop did work that was half as good as  Jeff Denham's work, but sadly the local guy is just another hack.  I had to do a little unshrouding of the valves on the stock heads for my current 1679 build and I took more material out of one head to even up the chamber sizes (3cc difference between the 2 heads!) but I didn't go nearly as far as you did with your heads...I don't really know what I'm doing so I left them alone as much as I could. I only gave myself a budget of $1000 on this engine (since I already have $2800 into the 1915cc single port so far), but I wanted to do some minor upgrades on my stock 1600 back up engine and have a valve job done since the engine has 42,000 miles on it. I added the 88mm P/C set that has the base turned down to fit a stock case (but you still machine the heads for 90.5 bore), the deck is set to .053", the chambers are set to 53cc (within a half of a cc on all chambers), the heads have Bugpack 35x32mm stainless valves with chromoly retainers, HD Bugpack springs, very light portwork by me, and 8mm intake studs for the Kadron manifolds. I also added full flow with Berg stainless oil lines, a (real) 912 Porsche breather box, Kadrons that I rebuilt with TB's rebuilt by The Kaddie Shack, Berg welded DH fan, Late model FI fanshroud that I changed the left heater outlet on, Doghouse conversion, working thermostat, 1.25 rockers with solid shafts and swivel feet adjusters, and Manton chromoly pushrods. Exhaust is a simple single quiet pack (but I haven't decided which one I want to use yet...I have 2 mufflers to chose from). I'll post specs of it with some more detailed photos later.

Andy 

Billyisgr8

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 16:33:19 pm »

where did "billy" go....AWESOME single port turbo project that KICKS ASS..!!  >>

Been gone for a long time.

I have sold the 2110 singleport engine last year and the new owner can get the 10 second 1/4 mile  timeslip with it that I just missed out on.   My singleport heads were ported at Brothers Machine, these were the first singleports Renato had ever welded and ported, and he was great with what I wanted.  The cross section of the port was 40 x 38 and used 40 x 40 valves.  The engine in an 1850 pound car ran 120 mph in the 1/4 with 18psi boost.   Singleport heads are old technology forsure, but they can still make good power if the same tricks are applied to them as a dual port.  You can watch some of my youtube vidoes of the 2110  singleport racing on my channel  http://www.youtube.com/user/Billyisgr8
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: