The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:04:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Well..it's been dynoed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Well..it's been dynoed  (Read 23816 times)
JIMP

« on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:04 am »

Hello all

my engine has just been dynoed in Johannese;s dyno, 253HP at 7500

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOR7HNWofE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nOR7HNWofE0</a>

more or less best of everything
scat billet flanged crank, carrillo rods, je pistons, Ln engineering nicasils, arp studs, ms230 heads with 5 stud rockers, titanium valves, ceramic lifters, aluminum JPM pushrods, JPM roller throttle bodies, Motec M400 on sequential mode.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtzR15OpV1w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UtzR15OpV1w</a>

Just note the snapping response of the engine through all the rpm's -relatively with the carburated ones when they struggle to change circuits especially in the midrange- and taking into consideration that is a "heavy" engine, big 86 flanged crank and std flanged flywheel, no extra lightening

I Just cant wait to get it into the car to start working with it the rest of the systems, dry sumping, efi loom etc, a big big thanks to Johannes for this "all day round" engine, maybe I'm already seing it's future, after I get used to it a light turbo wouldn't be a bad idea!

Friendly

Dimitrios

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

Awesome

Sounds fantastic!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Gunter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:41 pm »

hey Dimitrios, when are you coming to race it here  Wink ?

Gunter
volkskris

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »

nice! is it a street&strip engine or only strip?
JIMP

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 15:03:41 pm »

Hello

Martin thanks for the kind words, actually thanks to Johannes about it
Gunter, I'm struggling to make it to Norway for next year with the drag car, not this one, but anyway I'm temted to make a trip to your shop with my 1303, we'll see how I can arrange that
volkskris, actually was made for my 1303 street car, well I actually see it in some black races in the nearby. And this is the absolute true, if you let aside the quality of parts -which contribute a little or not at all- to the max horsepower, the initial discussion with Johannes was to see what we can do with performance parts as they are, so the power comes directly from the MS230 heads which are absolutely of the shelf, no porting, no fancy tricks, just the heads, valve and seats and there you go! To be honest I wasn't expecting to be that powerful but hey.. it's welcome

Friendly

Dimitrios
Frallan

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:27 am »

Congratulations Dimitrios and Johannes!

I had opportunity to see your engine few weeks ago and hearing it today was fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.

Frallan

Basti

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:05 am »

Hi Dimitrios,

do you have a picture of the complete engine?

Who did all the mapping for the Motec? Johannes?
How did you solve the cylinder 1 recognition?

Thanks,
Sebastian

- black 62 cal look beetle
- Pro Mod Race car
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:29:58 am »

Congratulations Dimitrios!

That sounds awesome! Hard to imagine driving everyday with something that powerful, hang on to your driving license!

Basti: Usually Johannes uses a modified distributor for that, with a "four wing" ford pickup with three wings cut of, if that makes any sense to you.

Dimitrios, we would LOVE to see you at the SCC! Car or no car Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
mymedusa

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:37:52 am »

beautiful engine and sounds amazing.
you really will have alot of fun with it.
some questions:
if it is for the street what about cooling? how du you cool it without fan?

wishes from germany
JIMP

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 13:44:14 pm »

Hello

thanks Frallan, as I said already congratulations goes to Johannes, I personally took care of the financing..

Basti, here you're with some photos of the engine

about the nr1 cylinder, exactly what JHU said with the modified distributor and yes Johannes did all the mapping, if I'm not mistaking -regret tha was not present to that- every 250rpm's up to the 4000rpm and then every 500rpm's to 8000rpm's

JHU please don't tease me, you know for good how much I want to come to SCC but I struggle about that every year..really hope that next year will be true..

mymedusa I'm not sure about cooling, maybe I will go with a std 30HP shroud and a fan from rs-motor from Austria, or a DTM or a Porsche?? I have all of them available but I'm not decided yet, anyway for each of those systems I'll have to fabricate the cylinder tins for the comp. eliminator intakes so anyway I'll have job to do, I would really like to hear your recomendations, the climate is very hot (three days ago was 40oC below shadow) so I need the most eficcient one

Friendly

Dimitrios

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 16:38:59 pm »

Holy shit Dimitrios, this stuff gives motivation to pick the passion up again. (homebrewn).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 17:02:51 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
JIMP

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 17:11:58 pm »

Hello Hurry

exactly as you describe it, motivation to put hands on the car, this is really my last chance, mean to get hands on the engine and then start building the rest of the car only to be possible to test the engine on it, If I don't make it this time with this kind of motivation I'm afraid I'm never will get it done, so deep breath and hands on the car..

Friendly

Dimitrios
mymedusa

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 23:13:40 pm »

that is really hot. my question about that is more the...why is it dynoed without fan when you need one in your way of use the engine.
so do you will dyno it again with the coolung system you need to have the real hp of it?
i thing this engine with the nickies and johannes heads will be run good with whe most of the common coolings. these are some high end parts!

i hope you will have alot of fun with it!
wishes
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 18:51:32 pm »

Hello Hurry

exactly as you describe it, motivation to put hands on the car, this is really my last chance, mean to get hands on the engine and then start building the rest of the car only to be possible to test the engine on it, If I don't make it this time with this kind of motivation I'm afraid I'm never will get it done, so deep breath and hands on the car..

Friendly

Dimitrios

Good Luck and may the Gods Of Speed be with you, Dimitrios

Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
JIMP

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 07:53:16 am »

Hello

mymedusa, well the dyno pull was made just for reference, I don't care actually how much Hp it will have in the end because as I mentioned it goes to a street car. I will adapt cooling system, air conditioning -it's really needed here to us-, I have big wheels 265mm in the rear etc, so anyway lot of power will be lost to subsystems, but I have plenty also to spare.

Harry thanks for the wishes man

Friendly

Dimitrios
JS

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 22:41:28 pm »

On all dyno sessions iīve attended the stock 1600 T1 cooling fan/alternator has made a 12-14hp difference.
And the power the cooling fan requires is the same no matter engine size etc. as far as I can tell.

Awesome performance Dimitrios!!!

Signature.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 00:28:50 am »

Dimitros, if you want the best possible cooling system for it, choose a DTM shroud then. Far superior to most anything. With the Nikasils you wohnt need much extra oil cooling either not even in that kind of climate.
T
JIMP

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 08:15:07 am »

Hello

well, what I know for sure is that the cooling system it will be a pain to select it and to mount it also, because I'll have to fabricate the upper cylinder tins -or fiberglass in the case of DTM- and also match the width of the engine to those systems, it's pretty match close to the stock but not exactly the same I suppose, anyway as I said already I'm open to ideas. Torben as you suggested, I'll gother more information about the dtm, I think there is a dealer located in UK, cheers

Friendly

Dimitrios
bang

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 17:28:54 pm »

torben is a dealer here in denmark who sell the dtm cooling.. the best on the market..

www. morepower.dk
Udo

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 20:00:13 pm »

I would use a Porsche fan . I have a customer with nearly the same engine , but CB heads and Deutz iron cylinders, works good. But not for high speed driving on the Autobahn  Cheesy !!! 

Udo

JIMP

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 23:02:18 pm »

Hello

Peter thanks for the tip, if I decide on dtm I'll give him a call
Udo, I will not use it on the highway too, just short trips in the nearby..I also like the Porsche and I already have fans, but I have to use a shroud that distributes air correctly and also I'll have to modificate it for the inlets. The shrouds that seem to me to work are from Klaus and Remmelle but both for T4 so..I don't know

Friendly

Dimitrios
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 00:08:59 am »

Your spot on with the porsche systems. It is a challenge to make them work properly on a type 1 engine, because of the simple fact that there is not enough surface and room for the vast amount of air to get out again. If SF/CE and the like heads are used, its a different matter.
But I do see the  problem with having to alter the shroud for the larger heads. I have no easy fix for that at this time.
t
T
Russell

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 00:09:13 am »

what make of dyno did he use ?

Best Regards

Russell
ugly duckling

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 04:39:24 am »

definitely one SEXY looking piece. great job guys .UD   

JS

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 07:21:01 am »

what make of dyno did he use ?

Bosch.

Signature.
K-Roc

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 23:37:37 pm »

Beautifull engine and nice power, I notice in the picture of your piston top that the pistons are notched for valve clearance, is this due to a high valve lift, or is the compression high as well.

Also what oil pump are you running there?

Cheers, Darren
JIMP

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 06:35:29 am »

Hello, sorry for the delay

Torben thanks for the tips, If I make up my mind to use a DTM definately I'll give you a call to get one
Russell as JS said it's a Bosch dyno, don't know exact model though
UD thank you also for the kind words
Darren as you suggested cam is in the range of FK89-87 and the compression is also high but don't recall exactly how much, I'll have to dig the data out from my notes..the oil pump if you mean the dry sump one is from Europe, I can send you details with a pm if you're interested

Friendly

Dimitrios
JS

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 20:03:52 pm »

Russell as JS said it's a Bosch dyno, don't know exact model though

Itīs the FLA 203.  Smiley

Signature.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 20:16:30 pm »

K-roc.
Its for the high valve lift, so the valve clears the piston.
T
JIMP

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 20:48:53 pm »

Well after a small chat with Jake Raby on his forums, it seems that the DTM maybe isn't the best for my application

Quote:
I have currently completed my T1 2387efi engine and I'm seriously considering a DTM shroud for cooling -live in Greece and have very high temps- but I have some general questions
OK.

Quote:
-the width of the engine is about the stock one as I use very low compr. height pistons, it's about 5mm overall wider than the 1,6engine, so not issues here but the heads are with comp. eliminator inlets, is there any photos or template of how can I modificate the shroud to fit?
The shrouds are shipped to fit stock heads with some small mods.. To use comp eliminators requires a lot of work and a compromise of the shroud's effectiveness.

Quote:
-I don't have a std oilcooler and don't want one in the engine bay, can I just drop all the doghouse parts or I have also to block something eventually if air escapes from somewhere?
The biggest benefit of the T1 DTMN is the TIV cooler that it uses in the stock location and how it delivers 20% more air volume to that cavity. Blocking this off will compromise the shroud greatly. It should never be blocked off.

-
Quote:
I understood that I can't just block the hose for the oilcooler as it will provoce imbalance of the cooling, so can I just keep it and throw the air out of the engine compartment or should I expect a V2 version of the T1 DTM?
There isn't a V2 version of the T1 shroud, creating one is an impossibility using the existing airfoils and internal partitioning.

Quote:
-as far as the heating concerns, the best option should be to get a gas heater or there is another option?
Yes, gas heat. The shroud can't be modified for heater outlets without more compromise of internal air distribution.

Quote:
-Also are there ready available the tins for the sealing of the engine or we can get some templates to fabricate them ourselves?
The T1 shroud uses all stock pulley, bellhouse and breast tins.

Quote:
Any info really appreciated
Sure.
It seems the t1 DTM may not be the best choice for you and your engine, too many mods that would take it away from it's original design would be required... Those changes could make the shroud just a huge waste of money for you

Thats my opinion, because I only sell people what they NEED.

So it seems that I have to stick with the std 30PS shroud, so what you use for head tins on the JPM heads? You modificate stock ones or you use something eventually ready for this application? Any photo of such head tins are welcome!

Friendly

Dimitrios
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: