Autometer Tach - Shift Light - Rev Limiter NEW Hillclimb Car Video

(1/4) > >>

Greg Ward:
Hi guys,
I need some advice from those in the know on what I need to purchase (autometer is my preferred choice) to do this.

I want to have an RPM activated shift light which comes on at a certain predefined RPM, and then some other determined RPM later I want the rev limiter to activate.

I've never had a light or a limiter before (old school VDO tach) so I've no idea what to purchase or how it connects, I can see on the web, the tach by itself with the shift light, then a box with RPM pills, then another Autometer Pro control box, but that is only single function or something, like either light or limiter, yada yada.

I've also got 2 coils, but the usual 1 wire to connect to the tach.

So I'm at a loss as to what to buy to achieve what I'm trying to do.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Neil Davies:
For the rev limiter I use MSD. I've got a 6AL box (with a 2-step, but that's not important!) which can have the chips plugged straight in or an adjustable (twist a knob) control box to control the RPM that the limiter cuts in at. I've also used an Omex rev limiter, which was quite considerably cheaper but harder to set/adjust, and would still work with the VDO tach. My Autometer tach has a built in shift light, so can't help you there.

I've also got a mag with an Autometer mag tach and a couple of Pro Control boxes but I've never used tham so I don't really know how to set them up I'm afraid...

Greg Ward:

Thanks Neil,
However I may have been confusing in the way I worded the questions, I want to ditch my old VDO tach, and use all Autometer gear for the shift light and RPM, but don't know what to buy, that's all.

So I'm not trying to attach Autometer stuff to a VDO tach, if that makes sense?

I want to buy.

1. Autometer Tach
1. Autometer Shift light
1. Pro control box, or pill rpm increments box

I just don't know what combination I'm supposed to buy, a tachometer with a dial to dial in the shift light rpm, then the pro-control for the rev limiting function?

Sorry for the confusion.

Greg

Neil Davies:
Ah, gotcha! :D I though you wanted to keep the VDO tach and use the Autometer shift light with it, which is possible! :)

I'm not going to be much further help I don't think, other than saying that the tach I use has the built in light, but it's only a small one on the face. It's not as bright as one of the seperate shift lights as it is so much smaller, but it's adjustable with a dial directly from the tach, so less to worry about with connections. It just takes the signal from the coil same as your VDO tach (red, black and green wires, plus white for the instrument face light (not the shift light!)). I prefer dials over pills if you are going to have to do regular adjustments. Pills are probably more reliable if you are going to set a limit and leave it there (less chance of dust, etc getting causght in the pot).

Hope this is of some use! :D

Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW):
Hey Greg,

Whatever you do, make sure that you mount everything with AL-YOU-MIN-EEYUM brackets... ;D

You could go with a MSD 6AL ignition as Neil uses (very common/simple, with a built in chip adjustable rev limiter), and couple that with an Autometer tach that has a built-in shift light. Here are a few examples:

Auto Meter 3904 Sport-Comp Pedestal-Mount Tach
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/3904/10002/-1

Auto Meter 6857 Pro-Comp Pedestal-Mount Tachometer
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/6857/10002/-1

Auto Meter 6858 Ultra-Lite Single-Range Tachometer
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/6858/10002/-1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page