The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:43:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Differential identification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Differential identification  (Read 4148 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: June 27, 2010, 23:07:09 pm »

I'm would like to find out any info on this differential ..I picked up this tranny and don't know much about it I would like to see what it is ...Hopfully someone can tell me ..?...... Huh Huh

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:40:00 am »

Bruce should be able to ID the tranny, cool side plate for sure. Wonder what make is that.

VW Classic 2012
Bruce

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:24 am »

That would be a swing axle differential.

That side cover is a cool item.  The center part is made from a stock Mg side cover, and the outer part is steel.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:58 am »

Bruce...can you tell me who it's made by...?... kinda curious who the makers is...? 

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:19 am »

The 'box started life as a 1970-on Karmann Ghia case, with a 4.12 R&P. I'd guess with a sideplate like that that it's not stock any more though - could be anything inside it! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 16:18:38 pm »

Bruce...can you tell me who it's made by...?... 
Nope.  Nobody else could either.   Take it apart, then ask the question.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 17:27:21 pm »

Bruce, I think he ment the sideplate, who made a plate like that? Is that considered stronger to whats out there now?

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Bruce

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 05:34:41 am »

The topic's title says different.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:04 am »

The 'box started life as a 1970-on Karmann Ghia case, with a 4.12 R&P. I'd guess with a sideplate like that that it's not stock any more though - could be anything inside it! Cheesy
Neil,
 thanks for sharing your knowledge I appreciate it I'm just trying to find out what I have here..?...I don't know how to distinguish "Sideplate" from "differentials" I guess....My bad..!

Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:15:04 am »

Neil,
 thanks for sharing your knowledge I appreciate it I'm just trying to find out what I have here..?...I don't know how to distinguish "Sideplate" from "differentials" I guess....My bad..!

No worries, just knowing where to look is part of the trick! Wink
http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Vehicle-Part-Information/Engine-Gearbox-Codes/?templateID=ssp
 Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22:38 am »

Neil,

No worries, just knowing where to look is part of the trick! Wink
http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Vehicle-Part-Information/Engine-Gearbox-Codes/?templateID=ssp
 Cheesy
Neil..Thanks Now I'm headed in the right direction....Thanks again ...!!!

mcmscott

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 00:57:14 am »

Transform,from Long Beach(no longer in bizz) made that side cover
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

I remember them, bought a trans from them a long time ago. How good is that side cover compaired to today sidecovers? I talked to Kaferdog, and he is interested in knowing about the side cover also, just didn't add it to his original post. Very curios on how they did the mating of the two pieces.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 07:47:46 am »

Transform,from Long Beach(no longer in bizz) made that side cover
You were right on the Money..!!!! "Transform"....!! ..How good is this Diff...? anyone have a idea ?

Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 23:54:17 pm »

the diff I saw in a transform trans was really bad, those welds were actually brazing, the one I took apart had cracks in those brazing welds and was less the 6 months old
Billyisgr8

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:57 am »

Mine has lasted very well in my drag car.  I have the same one but IRS.  It has been 11.2 @ 120 so far in the 1/4.  over 150 slick launches, 60 low to mid 7 passes 1/8 mile,  90+  8 to 9 second 1/8 mile passes,  4 years in a superbeetle running high 14's, countless 2nd gear street burnouts, clutch dumps, then put it in my current singleport dragcar.  3rd gear broke before the superdiff has.  I have not had any problems with it since making it a full time drag street car that weighs 1850 pounds 5 years ago.

I have heard lots of negative about this diff, I will take pictures of mine when it comes apart, cause I am curious as to how well it has held up to wear.

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:08:01 am by Billyisgr8 » Logged
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 16:51:46 pm »

Thanks Guys ...!...I picked the trans really cheap...! just wanted to know if it's worth keeping..?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: