The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 20:50:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  90's Drag bug resurrection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 90's Drag bug resurrection  (Read 28094 times)
Baked Beetle

« on: July 02, 2010, 17:54:36 pm »

Hey all,

Just a small note about myself. My name is Blair and I'm a 28 yr old Signmaker in Alberta, Canada. My wife and I both daily drive bugs and have a few projects always on the go.
I've never had a dedicated race car although I have been out to the track with a couple of my cars many times. We are building up a race car for the two of us to enjoy. Nothing competitive, but moreso test and tune/friday fun night type stuff.

This is the newest one to add to our collection. A 62' drag bug with a full tube chassis. Flip front end, fibreglass rear fenders, badass louvered decklid and original signwriting! Also all the panels are all matching faded pink so this one is just getting a polish and I'm running it. This car was built by High Tech Volks after they already had a blue car running the strips in Medicine Hat and Saskatoon. This one never set foot on a track as far as I know. Never leaving the stage you see it in here.

I've got a pan I'm planning on transfering over to make things a bit less complicated for me as I'm not looking at running 10's.

For drivetrain i'm looking into a built swingaxle trans and I've got a motor put together that should be great to start off with.

But this is my predicament.

Carbs or turbo.

I could get some 44 webers and some DRD heads and run like that or, pull s/p heads, drop compression and do a single port turbo build.

This is my motor as it sits. Broken in 1k miles on it, in my street car.

as41 full flowed. std/std
GB 69 c/w crank
GB balanced 311 rods
6lb lightweight flywheel everything balanced
KS bearings
26mm oil pump
scat 2 qt sump
35/32.5 worked single port heads flycut .170  36cc chambers single HD springs
.065 deck with .020 spacer gives me .300 clearance on my exhaust valves.
HD alum pushrods
Berg solid shaft rockers, stock rockers. swivel feet.
cb cheater 2280 cam
MSD dist with 6al box
OG Kadrons on single port mani's with csp linkage
9.7:1 compression

I'm looking to start buying a few parts and making this decision so I can get going on the mockup with motor and everything installed,

I'm not looking to run any cooling system but I also want some opinions because I have never done this before so I'm like a sponge.

Here are a couple pics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 17:59:27 pm by Baked Beetle » Logged
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 21:33:06 pm »

nice car, but not digging the resto-cal rear wheel stance, you sure this is the right forum.  Tongue

only joking, keep this thread updated, we all need a little inspiration.  Cool

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Baked Beetle

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 21:35:56 pm »

thanks Lids,

I had a pair of these og cragar ss rims dropped off the other day. I could help but stick one under the wheel well.

I wouldn't rock that shitty camber on any of my cars. LOL
stealth67vw

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 23:31:20 pm »

I wouldn't rock that shitty camber on any of my cars. LOL
Your at the right forum Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 20:57:08 pm »

COOL!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Baked Beetle

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 14:54:20 pm »

All right. Starting off on the right foot.

I have the pan blasted and painted. New narrowed beam getting all the bits cleaned and put back. Looking for some disk brakes for the front end.
I have the rear solid tranny mount/strap setup in right now with a older (brand new though) swingaxle trans.

I'm using this to get the car to the track and run a few passes. Not trying to go all out right off the bat.

I don't want to break this right away and would like it to perform somewhat. should I go with a jaycee spool or a Poor man posi for the time being.

I will be ending up with something good to put the power to the ground, just allocating funds accordingly.

CB Turbo kit is on it's way. Motor is going to be pulled and I'm looking for some nice D/P heads.

I'm looking at some cages from Chirco and I have a bunch more stuff on it's way. Smiley

Pics to follow
jick

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 19:40:22 pm »

great looking car dude....keep us posted!

Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:48 am »

It looks like a great project, and nice idea about using the pan to get you going. You can always take your time to build up the tube frame and swap it all over at a later date, or just sell it on to fund motor parts! I like the dual port turbo idea! Smiley

A word on cages - I know the regs in the States aren't as strict as in Europe, but seriously look at a proper cage rather than a Chirco "show-cage". Overkill maybe for a little motor, but better safe than sorry. Go for a full 6-point right from the start, don't bother with the standard bar (main hoop, 2 rear diagonals, drivers doorbar) that a lot of people go for. Look at where you sit in the car and where the roof could end up if you (or worse still, your wife) do turn it over. Ron Lummus does nice kits - you'll need to trim and fishmouth the ends of the tubes before getting it welded in properly, but you should be ok with that. I tacked mine in place with my Mig welder then had it Tig welded professionally.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Baked Beetle

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 13:42:40 pm »

Here is a pic of the First car that was done. It' still exists and is not far from me actually Smiley

Baked Beetle

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 22:36:41 pm »

New "old" photo for motivation.  Cool

How many times did I change my mind on the motor in this thread, at least 2  LOL

Built this motor last weekend, 84 x 92 fk8 cb mag plus 42/37.5 11:1 weber 44's

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:36:59 am by Baked Beetle » Logged
Baked Beetle

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 22:56:50 pm »

I have a rancho trans 4.125 klingelnberg with 3.78, 2.26, 1.56, 1.21

cage is welded in, should be good to 11.50 so that will be fine for some time. Going to be painted in the next couple weeks a sweet purple metal flake.

Working on polishing a bit, coming out awesome

okay i'm stoked

Baked Beetle

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 23:02:57 pm »

And the new info about history. My car was the first race car they did. mid 1987 is the pic above at Castrol Speedway in Edmonton, Alberta.

The blue car was name 'street dancer' hence the license plate, glass windows lights and everything but wipers.

I have heard this blue car is going to be racing this year so we may have a spectacular get together. Smiley)

It has a 2272 draw thru turbo system. I've heard the blue car actually went 9.40 at one time!!

neil68

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 04:10:07 am »

Nice thread Blair Smiley

It's a small world...Ron Pahl worked on my '74 Cal-Look Beetle transmission way back in the late 80's or early '90's.

With a turbo, that Rancho Pro Comp tranny that you got from me might work well...I've seen a few threads of others running similar gears and a 2-litre turbo combo.

Good luck with the project!

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Baked Beetle

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:19:32 am »

Hey Neil! glad your here.

I think your next in line for boost so I'll take those 48's off your hands Smiley

Got the car back to the shop and got slicks mounted. But now it's time to get into it. Long nights ahead just so I can be a month early as planned , aaand pass early Tech at the swapmeet in town Apr 2nd. Smiley

why am I sitting here typing??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I have shitloads of polishing to do.

Baked Beetle

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:27 am »

I wasn't quite happy with the welding so decided to clean it up and tig the whole cage, adding gussets and some other bits.

Getting prepped for a heavy silver metal flake. I mean it looks like diamonds. I'm going dino purple candy in the clear over top. it's going to be badass.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:35:40 am by Baked Beetle » Logged
Baked Beetle

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 15:16:53 pm »

CAge got Tig'd up and sprayed with silver metal flake, then candy passion purple over top. Smiley

Baked Beetle

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 15:32:13 pm »

Baked Beetle

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 15:37:04 pm »

Oldschool

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 15:42:34 pm »

Really nice polishing job on the paint  Wink

Quality not Quantity...
Baked Beetle

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:55 am »

Thanks,!! got some more done

Baked Beetle

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 04:43:08 am »

new stuff, getting closer, doing a mockup for a small local show.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:00 am »

Great pictures BB! Love the way the body appears to glow because of the oxidation still on parts of the paint Smiley Nice,.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »

Great !

Baked Beetle

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 14:59:33 pm »

thanks for the comments guys!   Smiley Smiley

more updates soon. Just got back from a small meet and everyone loved the car.

I should be firing the motor in the next few weeks and my tin basher guy is going to start working on my front end firewall and rear firewall aluminum stuff.

earlier than expected because he just got laid off from his day job.  Shocked Sad Angry   Grin Grin LOL
Baked Beetle

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 00:40:25 am »

Engine run in was a success  Grin Grin Grin Grin One little oil drip and a p-rod popped out of it's cup.

Wait for vid...  Grin
Baked Beetle

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 19:36:09 pm »

okay, done cam break in. Here she is running still around 1500rpms....

each cylinder is adjusted half turn out from lean miss.

I can't seem to get revs out of it, I have to go back to some papers and see how these carbs were jetted. They were on a running 2180 before.

36mm vents I know for sure.

how does it sound to you guys?

Video
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 19:45:14 pm »

36mm vents I know for sure.
There's your problem, I would say. With the  bore and stroke you have, plus 42mm inlets, I'd say you're way too small on the venturis. Need to step up to IDAs (or 48IDFs) with 40–42mm venturis (or more...)

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Baked Beetle

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 20:17:18 pm »

ahhhhhh, that would explain a lot. shoot.

These carbs were ran with these particular heads at one time. Not sure how well they ran though....
Baked Beetle

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 21:12:36 pm »

I found a set of 38 mm vents... I wonder what it's like with no vent.  Undecided just to test obviousley...

I am reading about some running 2276 with 43mm valve and 44idf's but I realize all situations are not the same.
Baked Beetle

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:03 am »

okay I checked and the air bypass screws were adjusted out and locked  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

closed them and it fired up and revved up much better.

More time tomorrow to work on it and check the float lvl and jets. more vid soon.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: