The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 22:30:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  some wild driving?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: some wild driving?  (Read 4722 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 07, 2007, 20:49:00 pm »

Ok, guys enough banter over club decals and phoneys. I'd say just about every car I've seen on this forum is very cool in one way or another, and no need to bash up a person's pride and joy. Let's move on.......to some fun.

Tell us some stories about your wildest burnouts or other "illegal" driving! Or if you haven't done some, tell us about the wildest monkey you've seen behind the wheel of a Volkswagen.

I remember back about 8 or so years ago, when I worked at Buggy House, we had a once-a-year in house car show and BBQ, and early in the morning, before everybody had shown up, I had to move my '67 to the rear parking area. At this time it had the 2276 , 86c, Denham D ports, IDAs...
Anyway, there were some non-beliver onlookers standing out in front of shop....and egged me on......so I just had to. Fired car up, ran motor up to 5K and sent car sideways across Mission Blvd and did some nice smokey figure 8's out in middle of street.....7:30am on a Saturday. Problem was the motor was fairly cold when I did this and after seeing 7,000rpm I blew the HP1 off and pissed 3-4 quarts of Mobil 1 all over street. What a mess!!!!! Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 21:19:52 pm »

oups  Shocked.. Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 22:35:10 pm »

well i happen to have a mini motor, but i have had some serious fun with it catching up a friend in a volvo V40 turbo diesel.

not the greatest story, but it mad my day!

a friend and i rebuild the 1641 in my square at the time and it was late at night a couple years ago. we had been sitting at the pub and it was time to call it a day. so he got in his volvo (chiptuned and about 140 BHP) and me in my square.
he was right in front of me at the lights and was reving his engine. so i got the message and revved mine too...

he got of and i floored it and stuck right behind him. he steps on it too and we race on the round untill we come to a roundabout where he had to go left and i right. i was stuck on his bumper the whole time and i couldn't believe it. at first i thought he held back, not to hurt my feelings i guess. and he is a way better driver,but the next day he calls me up and says how big of an idiot  am.
putting such an abuse on that engine. he said he was really going for it.
so after that i was really stoked on that engine. it's small but we took a look of care making it work so good.
now it is out of the car and i put a stock 1600 in it again. i still have the engine and i am goining to put it in the fastback i am building. i hope it runs still as strong, because funds don't allow it to make the nice big engine i want for it.
certainly not as nice as cleaning up oil in front of all your coworkers, but nice to know that small engines can make decent power.

ps

after that the guy bought a subaru WRX, so i'll need a bigger engine to compete with that one anyway  Roll Eyes
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 23:24:38 pm »

I did the same thing with an oil filter. I was pissed at a my girlfriend and stood on the gas hard on my 1776. Exploded an oil filter right in front of my house.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 23:31:00 pm »

Next Story...

How about stupid driving. My buddy Eric and I decided to visit a friend working at a gas station. I was driving my '67 and Eric was driving his black '68.

When we got to the station, our friend was washing the concrete pad around the pumps... so what we have here is slick, wet and soapy concrete. So for about 20 mintues we take passes in between the pumps sliding, doing donuts etc.... being stupid kids it didn't occur to us the danger of striking one of the gas pumps.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:56 am »

Took my black chop-top (post-Flashback paintjob) over to France for Super VW Nationals. Car was running great – noisy, but great! – so took Serge from Super VW out for a blast. All was fine, Serge had a big grin on his face, so when we arrived back outside the Super VW office, i figured I'd do a full-on launch to impress the crowds waiting to register for the show. Kaboom! I blew the ring and pinion to pieces – it was the biggest bang I"d ever heard from a transmission in my life, but then go figure the forces involved with stripping EVERY tooth off the pinion and all but six off the crown wheel. It was a 3.88 Klinkenborg, too. Fortunately, because the gears were so stripped, we could push the car out of the way...  Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Dave Galassi

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 15:27:23 pm »

Ok, guys enough banter over club decals and phoneys. I'd say just about every car I've seen on this forum is very cool in one way or another, and no need to bash up a person's pride and joy. Let's move on.......to some fun.

Tell us some stories about your wildest burnouts or other "illegal" driving! Or if you haven't done some, tell us about the wildest monkey you've seen behind the wheel of a Volkswagen.

I remember back about 8 or so years ago, when I worked at Buggy House, we had a once-a-year in house car show and BBQ, and early in the morning, before everybody had shown up, I had to move my '67 to the rear parking area. At this time it had the 2276 , 86c, Denham D ports, IDAs...
Anyway, there were some non-beliver onlookers standing out in front of shop....and egged me on......so I just had to. Fired car up, ran motor up to 5K and sent car sideways across Mission Blvd and did some nice smokey figure 8's out in middle of street.....7:30am on a Saturday. Problem was the motor was fairly cold when I did this and after seeing 7,000rpm I blew the HP1 off and pissed 3-4 quarts of Mobil 1 all over street. What a mess!!!!! Grin

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's too dang funny Uncle Jim!  Who amongst us hasn't barfed a few dinosaurs?  Mine was in my first crew cab.  Fired it up and gently crept it to the corner gas station where a friend of mine worked.  All I did was throw a rev when I left and pulled the threads out of an Oberg.  My friend was yelling at me as I went to leave...........thank goodness.  Saved the engine, as I would have driven away.  Never another Oberg.

At an Intershows years ago, Crazy Ray Walker, Steve Makepeace and I were walking the aisles looking for goodies when this knucklehead decides he is going to fire up his gift to high performance and show the crowd (indoors on a winter night) what he had.  Starts it up and less than a few seconds after that he bends the needle on the tach.  Down on the floor came a bubblin' crude.....oil that is.  Everyone around was just howling!
stealth67vw

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 15:54:35 pm »

That was the same day Darrel McNulty left in Versgrove's Berg Built 220+hp 2213cc powered vert at 10,000 rpm. He passed Buggy House hitting secong gear, lifting the front tires and shifted in 3rd at at over 100 mph. Everybody was standing there with their mouthes open.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
alex d

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 16:05:18 pm »

ok, it's not really wild, but for a tired stock 1200 it was quite fun, it was a saturday late at night and I was a returning a friend of mine to his place after having a few drinks, we arrived to a stop light where there was that Honda Prelude (stock 192hp). The Honda driver reved the engine a couple of times, so I say ok, let's go for it, thinking I don't have anything to lose  Grin the street was a little uphill and it had rained before so it was still wet; the light turns green and I floor it (even chirped a little the tires!), and instead of seeing the honda's taillights as I expected I just hear the poor engine kicking the rev limiter at something like 8000rpm while the car was nearly sitting still, of course a second later the car hooked and flew by us, turning at the next street,while we were laughing hysterically.
That poor 1200 spun a rod one night at 3am a month later when after a one hour with the foot to the floor I took a veeeery long curve to the right which starved the pump for a split second (the oil light didn't even flicker) and then began that "clunk clunk clunk noise" and the oil light did turn on, well, at least I could limp it home.
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 16:19:02 pm »

I worked with a Nova guy (Sheep knows him) at Coast Aluminum who would taunt me all the time and say I couldn't burn out if I tried. So one day I had enough and told him I could burn out until my tires popped. He didn't believe me until we got off work. I warmed up my car, started to pull out of the drive way, with him tailing me, antagonizing me, calling a pussy. I gave the brakes a little touch, stuck it in second gear, revved up my little IDA'd 1776 to about 5000 rpm, controlling the throttle with my heel and popped the clutch.  My car just sat there and smoked and smoked and smoked. I must have sat there in one spot for 5 or 6 minutes, smoke just barreling of my tires. He got out of his car and stood next to me cheering me on until I felt he believed me. I let of the brake a little, pulled onto Sandoval Way, whipping a donut or two, tires still smoking and pulled back in the parking lot to see what he had to say to that. I pulled back in, shut of the engine and got out. He told me that the the badest thing he ever saw, he would have never expected that. Feeling relieved that I really impressed him I got back in my bug, pulled back onto Sandoval Way to get half a block. My bug started to pull to one side from the rear so I pulled over and saw one of my back tires was flat.

Below is an older picture of one of my tire popping burnouts. 2 brand new Michelin XZX 165s + water and bleach out of a fire extinguisher = bald tires.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 18:37:35 pm »

Ok this one is getting me going..... I just have to share a tune session made back in the 80's......car was a 66 type with a type 4 2 litre in it, making 120 hp or so and on top of that a small dose of N2O, small like 75 HP!!!! Shocked.......so I got the car out, all alone during an afternoon.....warmed it all up and so........The garage was in an industiral area so the area was surronded by fences.....the strech for tuneups was about 150-200 meter......less then an 1/8 mile for all inch guys!!!.....................So I got to the end where the entrance was.....aimed the car to the end of the stretch....all ending in a ditch and a lot of fence..........So a alid back me, slipped in to the car, opended the bottle and did a burn-out......backed it up and got the revs to like 4K and dropped the clutch.....tires spinning wildly and then when they did not spin so mouch I hit he button....revs went to 7 K and I throw in 2:nd and hit the button once again going side ways gaining speed like no tomorrow.....So it all was going both fast, smoking, sideways...............fence is comming close, really fast Shocked.......So I hit the brakes ending close to the fence like a few inches and my leg starts shaking..........I was so chocked I could barley walk.......This was out of controll and I made the desiscion there and then to never do this again.Period................I rolled the car in to the garage....engine was hot and oil was evident...........the whole yard was marked with parallell tracks going all over the place........................

While walking home I started to figure out that that if I aimed the car in the other direction I could probably do it agaon and survive.......It does not take a lot of time to want the adrenaline running agian..........................A few weeks later we got the win street racing a Mustang and became fastest in town!!!!! On nitrous!!! Going rather straight and controlled!!! But it was a blast!!!!  Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: