The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:02:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  2017 build
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: 2017 build  (Read 38073 times)
stealth67vw

« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2010, 22:33:00 pm »

Smug pollution?  "Good for youuuuuu! Thaaaaanks!" Grin  A little South Park reference for John Boy there...lol.

Thanks guys, will stick with the 38s on this combo.
I knew you'd catch that. Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
bugnut68

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2010, 00:58:01 am »

Smug pollution?  "Good for youuuuuu! Thaaaaanks!" Grin  A little South Park reference for John Boy there...lol.

Thanks guys, will stick with the 38s on this combo.
I knew you'd catch that. Grin

But of course! Grin
bugnut68

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2010, 19:05:39 pm »

Carburetor linkage is another purchase I will soon need to make.  Any preferences on crossbar set ups, aside from Berg linkage?  I'm not sure how well it would fit my Scat doghouse shroud and don't really want to modify it.  I was thinking about a hexbar set up since I will likely relocate my coil using a case mount (ahead of the distributor) unless someone suggests a better location/placement.  Originally I though of going with the Scat push-pull linkage, but the coil location prohibits this.

Just wondering what everyone's preferences are?
stealth67vw

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2010, 00:30:44 am »

I like CB for cross bar linkage. It's cheap and easy to set up.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
bugnut68

« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2010, 00:57:47 am »

I like CB for cross bar linkage. It's cheap and easy to set up.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards... I once had Tayco/Bugpack cross bar (the round tube style) for a pair of 34 ICTs on my first Bug, and it was a nightmare keeping them synched.  I think that was the only item I ever had from Bugpack that I wasn't very happy with, but that was back around '93 or '94.
bugnut68

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2010, 20:18:32 pm »

Whilst waiting for my next parts/tool arrival in the mail, got a quick question on assembling a deep sump.  The stud that also fastens the oil pick up to the case bottom is my concern, given the tight quarters/difficult access.  Do you bolt the sump to one half of the case while its still split so you can tighten the nut down on the oil pickup, and then install the other case half?  This seems to make the most sense to me, but have never installed a sump before, so thought I'd pick a few brains out there whilst my project is temporarily on hiatus.
bugnut68

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2010, 17:08:53 pm »

Bump.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2010, 17:36:20 pm »

What sump? Brand.

VW Classic 2012
bugnut68

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2010, 18:10:02 pm »

What sump? Brand.

It's a Scat 1.5 Qt.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2010, 23:01:57 pm »

I will likely relocate my coil using a case mount

Tip:  I did a case mount coil.  If you want to save a few $$$, go buy some angle aluminum.  Bring it home, look at the pic of said mount, drill, drill, hacksaw, and you just made your own.

I was so proud of myself.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
bugnut68

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2010, 04:40:43 am »

Update, I just gave it some additional thought, and realize now that a longer stud is all that's needed... simple enough solution.  Forgot that I'm using metric allenheads to hold the sump on for five of the six mounting points, but the fastening point for the oil pick up tube will remain a stud.

Javabug, I would consider that, but by the time I travel someplace that has what I need (if you saw where I currently lived, you'd understand! lol) I probably could have bought the ready-made one and had it shipped here... I think Wolfgang International in Redding, Calif., has the case mount part, and they have some other things I need, as well.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2010, 13:06:25 pm »

No prob.  I just figured any hardware store should have it. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
j-dub

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2010, 17:48:47 pm »

For what it is worth I prefer the CSP center pull linkage to the CB Hex Bar system any day. It has less slop and less parts to wear out and require adjustment over time.  However it would require you to find another mounting point for your coil.
bugnut68

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2010, 18:56:18 pm »

For what it is worth I prefer the CSP center pull linkage to the CB Hex Bar system any day. It has less slop and less parts to wear out and require adjustment over time.  However it would require you to find another mounting point for your coil.

I think my buddy Zach had that linkage on his Fastback and had good things to say about it as well... right now I'm not dead set on anything, as until the flywheel tool shows up from Aircooled.net, I can't do squat on my engine.  Unless I split the case and tap the flywheel off with a rubber mallet, I gotta be patient. Lol.

One thing for sure, this car is by no means a primary driver, so odds are it would take quite a while for me to wear any parts out, such as carb linkage.  I admit I do like the 'clean' look of the CSP linkage.
bugnut68

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2010, 23:21:24 pm »

Thinking a bit ahead, I'm attempting to decide muffler options... I prefer Dynomaxes over Magnaflows, but noticed Thunderbird makes a nice merged single QP (www.thunderbirdexhaust.com).  Am considering going that route for the traditional cal-look, but am wondering how much difference I can expect in power if I were to go dual QPs rather than single?  Sadly, Thunderbird does not offer a dual set up at this time.  Bugpack has a nice one, but, as I mentioned in another thread, do not feature the bell/flared tips that I like so much.  Any thoughts?
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2010, 23:25:55 pm »

Call Tiger at A1, maybe he can build an old setup. Ya never know till ya ask.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
bugnut68

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2010, 23:32:16 pm »

Call Tiger at A1, maybe he can build an old setup. Ya never know till ya ask.  Grin

Ted
I may talk to him, he's a hell of a nice guy... I'm a little ahead of myself at this point, hell, I don't even have the longblock done yet...lol.  Just thinking about what the end result will be.  Single mufflers tend to not rattle loose, in my experience, but I love a nice, throaty purr like what dual QPs offer.  Plenty of time ahead, yet...keeping all ideas on the table ;-)
bugnut68

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 22:41:32 pm »

I read on another site a fellow's troubles using German lifters (his were used German lifters reground by SLR) and an Engle 125 cam.  Given that his engine combo is identical to what I'm building, I'm a little nervous, as I'm using German Wizeman lifters with my 125 cam.  I didn't have any issues using German lifters with my Engle 100 cam in my 1776, but am a little concerned about this combination.  I've sort of lost track of the latest trends as to cam and lifter compatibility?  Hoping somebody can offer me a word or two of advice before I do final assembly.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 22:44:55 pm »

Bugpack or CB
bugnut68

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2010, 22:54:42 pm »

Bugpack or CB

Cool, will look into both those... thanks!
bugnut68

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2011, 21:56:30 pm »

Well, the good news is I'm just about ready to fire this beast... new starter and battery are in place and it turns over with the plugs out and rockers off.  Oil light turns off within a few revolutions, indicating oil pressure is building as it should.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2011, 23:30:21 pm »

Get this POS fired off already........    Roll Eyes  Less writing, more wrenching!

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
bugnut68

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2011, 04:05:03 am »

I finally had the time to do it today! Grin 

Broke the cam in successfully, though fought carburetor issues for quite some time... had fuel backwashing onto the butterflies after cranking it over.  Went over the carbs and at last check it was only the number one and three cylinders' barrels doing it.  Engine snapped and sneezed through the stacks and muffler initially but ran fine for the 20-minute break-in period... after shutting the engine down, I could hear a burbling sound... and saw the fuel pouring into the barrel on the number one and three cylinders.  All the other ones were okay, though.  Not sure what to make of it.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:18 am »

Check the needle and seat.

VW Classic 2012
Hotrodvw

« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:26 am »

Yup, or the famous Dellorto drip!

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
bugnut68

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2011, 21:01:05 pm »

Yup, or the famous Dellorto drip!

Looks like the carbs are going to have to go to ACE/Art Thraen, which I probably should have done to begin with.  Everything else seems to be fine, but my problem doesn't appear to be float related.  It's my understanding that an overfilling float would lead to leakage through the nozzle near the auxiliary venturi in the top of the carb.  My issue is with fuel leaking from the side of the carb near the main venturi.
bugnut68

« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2011, 17:14:58 pm »

I should have sent them there to begin with rather than mess around with them myself.  In fairness, the seller only told me they needed to be rebuilt, didn't mention anything about any internal problems; I took that to mean clean 'em up and put in new gaskets and seals.  Won't be a cheap fix, I've come to learn, but at least they'll be done right.

At least I know the engine runs and I made it through cam break-in... lol.  The suspense would be killing me by now.
youngnstudly

« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:48 am »

I will likely relocate my coil using a case mount

Tip:  I did a case mount coil.  If you want to save a few $$$, go buy some angle aluminum.  Bring it home, look at the pic of said mount, drill, drill, hacksaw, and you just made your own.

I was so proud of myself.   Cheesy

I did the very same thing and it was more rewarding than waiting for a store bought cheap (junk) bracket to show up in the mail.
-Andy

Here is the rough cut and drilled mount with helicoils installed:

Here is the polished and installed version-don't mind the messy wiring as I was just wiring up the fuel pump relay and alternator when the pic was taken:

Wait until you get to this point Bugnut....engine installed and damn near ready to run...That was a good day until I figured out that the hockey stick in the nose cone was bent and the trans was stuck in gear after screwing around with the shifter adjustment for 20 minutes...Roll Eyes I had to pull the engine and trans completely out after installing both, plus stripping all the undercoating off and recoating everything and resetting the suspension in the rear. Shown here is the CB hexbar linkage as well.  If you get really bored waiting for your carbs to get back you can make a firewall like I did that matches your door panels...polished of course.

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: