The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:45:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  question for the ahem "older" California guys....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: question for the ahem "older" California guys....  (Read 2766 times)
beatnik beetle

« on: July 20, 2010, 18:49:55 pm »

Funny how you hear or read a name and it sounds familiar, myself and Neil from Prosign were talking about the Race Shop paint jobs on The Doublecab, Fiat and slalom car and I understand that George Cerney was the guy who Painted ( at least) the Fiat, Is this the same guy who did some amazing Kustom work on Buster Littons 49 Ford, had a really ground breaking 50 plymouth station wagon had a hand in various mild customs (Kustoms)..?we have eclectic car taste here at Planet Paintbox and our other loves apart from VW's are traditional Hot rods and Kustoms ...sorry if this is a bit "off topic" for here but, I thought someone would be able to enlighten me ;o)
jick

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 23:15:09 pm »

hi there Simon....... I don't have the answer for you, but I do recall reading that George Cerny had a paintshop later in his career in Costa Mesa, and that his son George Jnr  followed on in his fathers footsteps........ So I've cleared that up for you haven't I?! Grin
Cheers.... Jick

deano

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:35 am »

George Cerny painted a ton of famous drag cars of the '60s and '70s. Many Top Fuel and funny cars had Cerny paint jobs. The Cerney name lives on as several of his relatives have been racing VWs for years as well. I believe George was their uncle perhaps.... Freelance photographer, Jere Alhadeff once went to George's paint shop years ago (early '70s) to do a story on him painting a drag car. Jere leaned against his air compressor, and when it kicked on, Jere lost one of his fingers!

Cerny was one of the best at candy and pearl color combinations.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
bilboa2

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:33 am »

there was a larry cerney also who painted my black 70 ghia... circa 1977 ?? I don' think he was in biz very long. I remember it was when poly-eurothane paint first came out. bill
jick

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:09 am »

Cool...... Larry was George Snr's other son, I couldn't remember his name until you posted it...... Quite a family dynasty!

beatnik beetle

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:38 am »

Thanks guy's and nice Ghia, a family dynasty of custom paint by the sound of it, SO many cool paintjobs from the 60's & 70's and nice to see them making a comeback ;o) on a different note we unfortunately lost Larry Watson yesterday, another good one gone Shocked(
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 16:44:12 pm »

Buster Litton's shoebox Ford was a BEAUTIFUL thing! I've stared at pictures of that thing for hours... days even! Cool to see it mentioned here! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: