The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 13:45:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Name 10 guys that influenced you personally in VW's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Name 10 guys that influenced you personally in VW's  (Read 41265 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 08, 2007, 21:13:01 pm »

As I mentioned in Shubee's post.....name 10 or so guys that influenced you personally in your VW circle of friends. Somebody that taught you stuff, helped you out of a jam, went to almost every show with you....etc.
While your list may not consist of "famous" guys, I think it will be interesting to read....paying homage to those guys that got their hands dirty with you.

I have to think about my list....

Let's hear who influenced you guys
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 00:23:48 am by Jim Ratto » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 21:54:26 pm »

ok here's my list in no particular order........

1. My Dad. Got me into cars, convinced me to drive a VW as a teenager, took me to VW drags at Baylands Raceway as a kid. Gotten me out of more VW binds than I care to remember

2. Mike Collins. Probably the smartest VW guy I had ever met. Sold me my 48's in 1991, always answered any question I had for him, built amazing transaxles, could fab anything you needed, but above all, just a great friend. Miss him

3. Frank a.k.a Sheep. Got me really into old Cal Look stuff around 1989, one of the few guys back then that "got it." Too many memories to even think about. How many trips in my '67? How many drag races out in front of his ranch? How many laughs at Buggy House. Good to see he is still as crazy as ever and into VW's again.

4. Jerry Young. My former boss at Buggy House. While we banged heads more than occasionally, he was a good boss, and taught me more about tuning a VW than anybody else. If you get past his rotten temper and gruff language, there's a good guy underneath.

5. 'Big' Frank Schirado. Worked a few years at BH with Big Frank, had a lot of fun working with him, taught me lots of tricks on fast VW engines. Nobody can consume mass quantities of BBQ pork like this guy.

6. John Bates. Customer, VW-clubmate, roommate and good friend. Much like Frank, been all over California with John on all kinds of weird VW related outings, tons of fun out street racing, playing jokes on others, working on cars together. One of the guys you know that will be into it for life.

7. Jim Edmiston aka Sarge. One of the coolest guys I've met in a long time....wealth of VW folklore, all the DKP 1 stories, into good food, good music, a great all around guy. Got me 'back' into the VW scene after my 'burnout.'

8. Rob Lockett. Engine guy for many years at BH, showed me a lot of the basics of building strokers....geometry, end play, full-flow....and always interesting to talk to.

9. Bill Schwimmer. All around nice guy, cool guy to BS with at all the shows over the years, awesome car....his car like Gary Berg's always kept me interested in cars set up like theirs.

10. Larry McKenzie. Long time friend, brunt of one of the best "pranks" I've ever pulled on somebody. Been there as a good friend through thick and thin. Convinced me to run the car at Carlsbad '99. Always owns some bitchin cars, always fun to give a good ribbing, and a hell of a race car pilot.

jick

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 22:23:48 pm »

1) mike hodge...my best mates step dad & nextdoor neighbour when i was a teenager.....always had beetles and splitscreen buses, we used to tear around the fields in them as 13/14 year olds.....he used to stop us doing our homework as kids and sit us down to make us watch Big Wednesday.

2) my grandad....an engineer, and biker in the 50's/60's......i recently found inone of his toolboxes his admission ticket from the 1st british drag racing festival in 1964, for which the S&Sparts team shipped over K.S Pitman's 33 willys along with george montgomery to race.

3) my dad....had absolutety NO interest or idea about cars....but put 100% into helping me with mine when he was alive because he knew i loved it.

4) phil royle.....a complete cock.   he was a friend of my older brother and had a jeans beetle in 1985, i went to a couple of shows and was hooked......i soon got my 1st car, a bright yellow 66 bought from a dude who had the hottest girlfriend in town....i then pulled her younger sister!   a week or two after buying it i went to the 1st bug-jam in 1986 and have never looked back.

thats about it really....i just get on with it slowly (very) by myself.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 22:32:33 pm »

Geoff Thomas – owner of Autocavan , the UK's first serious VW performance shop.

Dave and Judy Kawell – enough said

Deano – because...

Dean Lowry – such a nice guy, the godfather of our scene...

Dave and Judy Kawell

Dave Kawell

Judy Kawell

Dave and Judy Kawell.... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Stephan S

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 23:25:54 pm »

Hey, that's 11 not 10, Keith!
How are things by the way? Did you get my email a couple of days ago?
Steph

Der Kleiner Panzers
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 23:54:14 pm »

1. Jacky Morel. I discovered beetles thanks to Super VW issue 18. Man that 2 tone resto-cal with polished fuchs and fluo engine looked the bomb! Many people diss the mag nowadays but I say respect!

2. My father. Can build anything. Taught me how to work with my hands. However, I still don't understand why he allowed me to buy a rusty basket case of a car and 3 van loads of useless parts, while I was only 19 and starting university. And no, it's not finished...

3. My wife, for supporting my hobby.

4. The DAS guys. Met them in 94. They already had quite a reputation in Belgium and France back then. I remember some people even described them as a close and arrogant little group - I just found a bunch of super nice guys with bitching cars.

4. Keith Fastbrit Seume. Best book ever?

5. Hector Bonilla, Dave Rhoads, Art Guttierez, Greg Brinton. Just perfect.

6. The mags and websites people. Keeping the flame alive during those long winter nights.
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 00:31:28 am »

1)  Pete Dayton ....The mind behind DKP
 2)  John Lazenby .... Taught me the "fine art" of car detailing
 3)  Ron Fleming......The ESSENCE of DKP and a true friend
 4)  Greg Aronson....Master Cal-Look craftsman and inovator
 5)  Gene Berg....A lot of Gene channeled into DKP through employees Ron Fleming and Greg Aronson
 6)  Keith Seume....Got me back to my VW "roots".  I'd probably still be driving a sand rail and forgotton about all those good old DKP days
 7)  Bill Schwimmer...What a real Cal-Looker is all about
 Cool  Darrell Vittone...Great answers to pressing questions...Me; "What do you think of MSD ignitions?"  DV;  "I'd run a Joe Hunt magneto just for the Mojo!"
 9)  Stephan Szantai...My buddy the photographer
10) Jim Ratto....If you guys haven't figured it out yet, Jim lives and breathes Cal-Look...just look at his posts!

DKP III
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 00:42:49 am »

1. Jick, he talked me into buying my first bug, and my first cigar.

2. Jim Calvert(Stateside Tuning), he showed me the way to power heaven.  Used to let me hang out during my hols and learn a few of his tricks.

3. KS he edited the magazine(Volksworld) that I used to digest, and then spit over my car.

4. the posse from WSM and going to Malvern every year.

5. My mum for letting me restore my car and spray it in her garage.  Its still blue now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 00:47:17 am by lids_2001 » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Sarge

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 00:45:20 am »

...somebody say CIGARS???

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:09 am »

5)  Gene Berg....A lot of Gene channeled into DKP through employees Ron Fleming and Greg Aronson
 6)  Keith Seume....Got me back to my VW "roots".  I'd probably still be driving a sand rail and forgotton about all those good old DKP days
 Cool  Darrell Vittone...Great answers to pressing questions...Me; "What do you think of MSD ignitions?"  DV;  "I'd run a Joe Hunt magneto just for the Mojo!"
10) Jim Ratto....If you guys haven't figured it out yet, Jim lives and breathes Cal-Look...just look at his posts!
Sarge, I don't deserve to be 'seen' in such company.. but thank you all the same. Now where's my WINE!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:35:06 am »

Sarge, I don't deserve to be 'seen' in such company.. but thank you all the same. Now where's my WINE!

No prob Gov...you'll get your juice!!  I'm parched just thinking about it...when are you coming to collect??   Grin

DKP III
larry mck

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 04:11:56 am »

My older brother Paul, He bought a 67 bug in 71 and we souped it up. He brought home a copy of Hot VWs in 1970 and I've been a subscriber since 73. He also built most all of my race car engines.]

Greg McNair, he was my school bus driver in high school, he had a 49 Bug. He took me for my first ride in a really fast VW.

Ray Schubert, Taught me how to produce a really nice restored VW. I learned a ton from him about vintage VWs. He makes me do the job right when I say good enough.

Bill Collins, Let me go on the Back to the Fatherland tour were I meet some really cool VW people.

Rich Kimball, Got me excited about all kinds of VW events, Bug-Ins, DRKC, Vintage ralleys, etc.

Keith Seume, For relighting the real cal-look fire.

Jim Ratto, For always egging me on, and he put my name on his list.

Plus many more.
sheep
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 06:46:55 am »

Man this is such a good topic, I cant believe more people havent responded.

1. Jim Ratto, who I met almost 20 years ago. Jim built his first motor when he was 16 years old.
when we were 16 most kids couldnt even tune there cars little lone build a motor. From the first time I drove Jims car(that he still owns today) I was hooked.Jim is the reason I am addicted to this hobby, and I am thankfull we have been freinds for twenty years.

2. Jerry Young. He was my boss at Buggy House for many years, At times I felt like we hated each other, but in reality he treated me like a son, and he tought me so much about vws. I believe that if Jim and I could of put up with his shit he probably would of left the company to us.

3. Ken Butler. My step dad who owned vws the entire time i was growing up. He taught me how to shoot squirrels out of the rag top of our baja oval.

4. John Bates who is Cal Look to the bone, who used to be my brother in law and will always be a brother to me.

5. Mike Collins who owned a vw repair shop, and he would answer any really stupid question I had, and not make me feel stupid for asking. He would build trannys for all the kids in the club and none of us no matter how hard we tried could destroy them.

6. Erik Maxfield ( Emax) This guy had no money, but a big brain. He proved to me that a little intelligence can out perform a deep wallet.

7. Bill Schwimmer.This guy has no idea who the hell I am. Jim and I have followed this guys car and his life style from the early 1990s I dont think there is any body who is more Cal Look than him.

8. Dave Rhoads.Same as Schwimmer above, Jim and I actually drove all the way to Arizona to watch these two guys race there cars. No one is as legit as these two guys.

9.Bill Fisher. His book is the bible of engine building.Everybody I know still refers to this book even though it was written in 1970.

10. Sarge. Sarge reminds me how fun it is to own a hot vw.And how fucking cool is it to be friends with one of the founding members of the DKP.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 16:49:31 pm »

My Dad, Earl Gomulka. Bought his first VW in '68, brand new. Brought me home from the hospital in our '71 Westy. He always had VWs around, most not running, and he always made me help him. Now Im deeper into this hobby than he ever was!!

My best friend and roomate, Chris Predmore. We share the same passion for traditional Cal Look cars. Its great having someone like that in your corner!

John Whinery. A total ass clown to most, but once you get to know him, he's a great guy. I got him into VWs in high school, and I commisioned him to draw out my VW tattoo when we were 18- no doubt its the best looking part of my body!!

Steve Hollingsworth. The man has forgotten more about VW engines than I will ever know.

Howard "Only girls and queers call me Howie" Washington. Sit shotgun in his minivan with him on a errand run and you will see what I mean. Wearing his cataract sunglasses and leaning over the steering wheel, he wholeshots EVERYONE!!

Travis Alward. Another good friend of mine. We fought like cats and dogs for the 3 years we lived together, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Owner of the fastest true daily driven aspirated VW on the planet.

Keith Seume. Without him, I wouldnt have a clue.

Frenchy DeHoux. Self explanitory.

Luke Vodopia. "Meet me at Quattro Peako at 3"

Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
stealth67vw

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 17:22:18 pm »

You guys had me tearing up there for a second. My 10 biggest influences in VW stuff were

1) Jim Ratto - always been a great friend through all lifes ups and downs, hard core VW and Cal-Look guy,music lover, and mentor. I met Jim way back in 1991. I lived and breathed VWs with him and I did inhale Smiley We did a lot of street racing together. He taught me an engine bigger than a 1641 would not blow up. Camping, raw chicken and bare foot carb tuning were our past times. He was there when my first son was born almost 11 years ago.

2) Frank Seifert -(aka Sheep) he influenzed me so much I married and divorced his sister. I worked with Frank, I fished with Frank, but I really never drank with Frank. I too still consider him a brother. I also met Frank back in 1991 when he sold me the wrong parts. Sad  We need to get together and go dancing at the the "dance hall across town". He always put crazy notes on my Buggy House receipts. I found one the other day that said "Please come back with a gun and shoot me, please" and another that said "I want to put my meat in your fridge". Frank always keeps us laughing.

3)Mike Collins (RIP)- He showed me function comes first and looks always come second. I kept breaking axles in my 67 and I would bring my car to him and he would tell me  "You stupid ass, raise up the rear of your car so your axle spades get oil." I still have a Collins gear box in my car today 6 years after he passed, 8 years after he built it with the same axles.

4) Les Kovach -He has been a friend since we were both 15-16 years old. He has built more outstanding cars than I can fathom. He always goes the extra mile to get the look he wants. He is a recluse of sorts but still one of my best friends. He currently owns 16+ VWs of top notch caliber. From a 54 panel bus, 2-55 bug verts, 62 type 341, 67 OG paint squareback, 60 OG paint single cab, 56 23 window, 49 split, 67 fastback, 65 bug vert, 66 bug vert, 65 hard top, 67 cal look bug, 63 15 window bus, 55 cal look bug and so on. He is the essence of a true hard core VW enthusiast. All these pictures that people post of their lifetime Empi/DDS/Speedwell collections looks like his closet in comparison. He has more cool stuff than he cares to show people. We also both shared an affinity for blowing up $hit and good beer too. We used to turn on the fire hydrant in front of his house and do burnouts and donuts all the time too.

5) Ken Butler - he showed me what not to do to a VW -by example. LOL

6) My dad - he should have been at the top but I put him here. When I was born (1975) he had a 1966 notchback with a 1.8 liter 914 motor. He was and still is a very mechanical person. He first got me interested in cars in general by having me change the oil on his 1937 Harley Davidson Knucklehead (which he still has today). When I was 14 he paid me $100 to build him an engine for his 68 bay window bus out of junk parts. I built a complete engine without using 1 new part. The center mains on the case were so spread you could see light through them. It lasted about 6,000 miles till it didn't have any oil pressure. From then on I was hooked on building engines.

7) Eric Hitchew-Young - I met Eric when I was 13, just starting High School. He had an all stock 69 bug on chromies. It was a very clean car even with it's original paint. He was a dreamy kinda guy with his surfer blonde hair, cool bug and his love for VWs. He started Ground Level and Cali Style V-Dubs VW clubs. When I was 17 he built a 2276 with 48 IDFs and a spooled IRS box for his 69 after his ultra reliable 1500 single port gave up. He left my house one day, completely sideways, across my a$$hole neighbors lawn and across the sidewalk. The marks stayed for years. I still see Eric every couple of years at he Sac Bug-O-Rama. "KPVUDBN" -his California License plate. Keep Vee Dubbin. He was also a huge influence on Les Kovach.

8 )Steve Duttman -Back in high school this kid was a real outcast. He hung out with all the stoners and rockers. He looke like he wore his pants and used them as grease rags at the same time. He was a gear head to the core of his being. His family lived and breathed sprint cars and raced at Baylands Raceway until they closed in 1987. For his first car he was given a 67 bug and he pulled the 1500 and tweaked it a bit. He added a 69mm SPG roller crank, Crown flywheel,  Engle 130, welded and ported single port heads, Autocraft 1.25 rockers, 40 Kadrons with welded Truehaft aluminum manifolds, 1 1/2" header and stinger and 10:1 compression. In high school he had the fastest car except for a guy with a 454 powered Vega panel wagen. He showed me to think out side the box and you can make anything fast, even if it is 1500cc.

9) Jerry Young of Buggy House fame. Back in 1969 when the MacCarther (580) freeway in Oakland was not open yet, he flew by my dad at 120+ in his black split window bug. My dad and and couple of friends were hauling ass down the unopen freeway as fast as his Norton 850 Commando would go when out of nowhere a black beetle passed them as if they were parked. Many, many years later I told this story I had heard my whole life to find out the other side of the story. Jerry Young was at the helm of that black beetle upon his return from a tour in Vietnam. That memory greatly influenzed my dad and influenced me though his stories.

10) My ex-wife April -She showed me how hard I had to work just to remain active in the VW community. Before life and kids it was easy. After kids and married life I had to put in 150+% just stay on the same level. 50 hours of overtime, 6 months on end wasn't uncommon for me.  She made me realize most important thing in life ...............VWs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:01:22 am by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Russell

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 17:39:57 pm »

Well my list is easy.

1) Herbie, this was how it all started.....

2) Keith while he was doing VWxyz in Custom Car and talking VW's

3) Julie, my wife, she had a beetle when i met her, the love bug thing again....

4) Dale Clark, (he started the NOS VW Club -North of Scotland) a true friend and and the best hand you could ask for.

5) Kevin Dawson (1/4 panel Kev)

6) Volksworld (Keith and Ivan)

7) keiths book and the Chop

Cool Chris Morley via Keith for making the Race Shop Ghia possible

9) Kobus and crew, great guys

10) My BANK Manager for being errrrr understanding !

If i have missed anyone out sorry, all my friends have been important but this is a top 10 of who got into the cars.

Best Regards

Russell
sheep

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 18:00:07 pm »

Fun topic Cheesy

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
stealth67vw

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 18:04:39 pm »

You just registered sheep? 1 post? LOL Are you the guy that registered under Poncho?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 18:06:43 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 18:20:56 pm »

For those that don't know who Ken is

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
sheep

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 20:19:00 pm »

Hey John where did you find a picture of Jim Ratto???
He needs to get off the pot and finish my motor, I would like to show up for the classic.
I deleted my acount on accident and had to re register, and no im not Poncho.

Sarge

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 20:29:26 pm »

You just registered sheep? 1 post? LOL Are you the guy that registered under Poncho?

Grin Grin Grin

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 21:47:05 pm »

In the order I thought of them.

1. Mark & Eric Roos. Friends that first got me interested in VWs

2. Bill Schwimmer... we were dangerous back in the day... we really fed off of each other when it came to ideas. And also for keeping after me for over 20 years to do something with my car(s)... but mostly for being a great friend, and being there to share some of my best memories,

3. Gene Berg

4. Dyno Don

5. Henry Mayeda

6. Rich Kimball

7. F.A.T. and Keith Goss

8. Dave Griener

9. Greg Brinton

10. Danny Gabbard

11. Many of the members of DKK

ok... I went one over!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 22:02:08 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 22:33:43 pm »

wow, what a great bunch of replies! See....it's not just the big names in the industry that kept us all going, it was our close friends, the dirty gearhead kid at high school, our parents, maybe an auto shop teacher here or there, co-workers, and in Sheep's case, even squirrels that he and Ken made stew out of.
I'm pretty honored to be on some of those lists.....I know Sheep's just looking for me to get his damn motor done....thinks flattery is going to make it happen faster huh? Yeah.....keep winding me tighter, buddy.....

Keep 'em coming!!!

Jeez Jim, don't be so hard on Sheep...I think you need a time-out and one of Jordy's chocolate bars  Grin Roll Eyes

DKP III
sheep

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 00:15:08 am »

So if I ate one of those chocolate bars and looked at jim, would he be wearing a police uniform?
Jim how about posting some pictures???

P.S how is my dam motor coming along Angry
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 00:48:22 am by sheep » Logged

Sarge

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 00:32:35 am »

So if I ate one of those chocolate bars and looked at jim, would he be wearing a police uniform?
cause I didnt even eat one and he was wearing a wedding dress.
Jim how about posting some pictures???

P.S how is my dam motor coming along Angry

OH NOOOO!  Roll Eyes  Grin  Shocked

DKP III
The Ideaman

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 02:41:36 am »

1. Dad.  Dad loved type 3's, and was a whizz at sorta fixing stuff.  I learned how not to fix cars from Dad.  He let me take a pair of squarebacks apart at 13,in the backyard, just to see how they worked.  Let me work on my projects in the driveway.
2. Dave, the guy next door.  He was a sandrail guy, and showed me how to put together a stroker motor on a stand.  Drove a streetlegal sandrail all year long, rain or shine.  I learned a bunch from him.
3. Steve (Woods?)  He was a guru in the Arizona area in the late 70's.  He had an old B/MC on BRM's in his workshop.  His shop was all dusty from being in the Tempe river bottom.
4. Sil Modesti.  Fabricator extraordinaire and a good man.  The Jade Grenade had one of his fabbed breathers
5. Mike Fischer.  Always gives me the "inside scoop" on new stuff or ideas.  I like how he runs his shop.
6. Buddy Hale.  Showed me that hard work and perserverance can get you to the top of your game.  A good friend who was always fun to hang with on a roadtrip.  Ask sometime about the "Redding Run".
7. Bryan Peters is cal-look to the core.  Another roadtripping buddy.  He can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Makes the most of the least.  I bought my white 67 from him.  Only did the things he would have done, had he kept it.  Love that stupid car.
8. Daniel Hood.  Presently on sabbatical (RC cars).  Has more talent than any one man has a right to lay claim to.  One of the few guys who can "do it all".
9 Steve Hollingsworth  I agree with Zach, Steve has forgotten more about VW's than I'll ever know.  I really do miss hanging out at VW Performance.
10. My family, nuff said there!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:44:17 am by The Ideaman » Logged

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 04:58:30 am »

1. For Me it Would Have To Be Bill Chosky For Giving me My First Job in a VW Store Auto Haus Pomona where I Worked for 3 Years

2.Ron & Lynn Rosevear For Giving My My Second Job at Auto Haus Store in Buena Park Where I Met So Many People And Saw So Many Original Old School Cal Looks, I Was Moved To The Van Nuys Store to Take Over  as a Manger I Still Rember All The Deals I Got Threw The Store And Customers coming In  Boy Those were the Days

3.When Auto Haus Closed there Store's I Went On To Barrett Ent. And Worked for Ron Barrett  he was a Real Gearhead Don Meling Also Worked for Ron Barrett Which some of you older Guys Might remember Don Went On And Went to Work At Car Custom  which Sponsored his Cal Look 67 Sedan  Which Was  Scott Bakkns Old Medfly..

4.Gene and Dee Berg Were Probally the Biggest Influence To All That knew the Family Gary is a few years younger then me and Doug And Clyde did not even Have A drivers License yet Just Punk Kids LOL

5.Steve Tims (Goofy Grape Sedan & Mean Machine Ghia)Was Another Great Influence and taught me How To Build A Real Race Motor And Things to set and check that I would have never done on my own.

6.Then From Barrett Ent. I Moved on To Small Car Specialities Where I Worked  With Geno Combs, Geno Was also a DVB Member so  I already knew him  I Met Guy Bryant which was the Head Porter for SCS and Dose Great Work between Me And Guy We Came Up with some Great Stuff.

7.Steve Sims Who use to work the Counter At Gene Berg Was great Friend he was the guy responsible for getting a lot of the Street Race's  Going after the Club Rallys  unfortunitly Steve had a Massive Heart attack and Died about a year ago.

8. And I Cant Forget  Roger Crawford (Bad Company 67 Sedan) LOL I Can Still See Him  Fat And Barefoot in a T shirt  at Brookhurst and Orangethrope Parking lot where the Bug Clubs Went After there Meetings to Invade The L.A County Street Racers Parking Lot We Had our own  Section of the lot and none of the V8 wanted to mess with the VW's they use to refer to them as sewing machines with Dual Tolets LOL

9.My Mother for always Being There no matter what I did or was Doing She Was always there to Lend A Hand She New What all my tools were   I could be under the car and tell her to get me a 13 mm wrench or a 10mm socket  and there she was Tools in Hand I trained her well LOL.

10. And Last but Not Least My Best Friends Larry Rick,Steve Walker,Scott Bakken,For Keeping The Cal Look Alive In Me Once its in your Blood you can never get it out I am Now Building my 48th Old School Cal Look and I am already Planning #49 to build.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:39:05 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Gary Justus

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 18:14:17 pm »

I've been inspired by many and have been helped by many (in many ways), but these are the names that have had a "root" effect on me:

1. Steve Domon - My first ride in a "fast" VW (1835cc in '77).
2. Jim Nolan - One of the original owners/contributors to the "Jumbo Shrimp" drag Fiat in the late '70s.
3. Don Simpson - My uncle who is a good friend of Lee Leighton.
4. Frank Fabozzi - Still driving the rasberry oval that he won Bug-In with in the early 80's.
5. Rod Shultz - Gentleman, racer, all around good guy.
6. Dick Roy - The original "Mr. Kadron"
7. Clyde Berg - When Clyde said "That's always been one of my favorite rides" to me, I was honored.
8. Dave Mason - "Just fix it".
9. Hector Bonilla - My good buddy.
10. Eric Justus - My son, who had the nastiest T3 ghia on the planet.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 19:12:02 pm »

Great post Shubee.  I remember your mom very well when I visited your house off Ramona.  Not every mom will let you keep engines in the house.

1.  Russ Welch - owner of VW junkyard I worked at 10 years
2.  Gary Shubrook - enough said
3.  Larry Rick - knows his parts, cars and quality
4.  Steve Walker - ditto
5.  Chris Morley - think about what he knows and has found.  Gassers.......
6.  Bill Makepeace - historian, parts identifier.......
7.  Kid Dean - quality body work, cool ideas
8.  Gene Berg
9.  Jim Moore - first car I fell in love with
10.  George Schmidt - honest, creative, hard working fabricator and builder.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 14:35:03 pm by Dave Galassi » Logged
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 21:01:25 pm »

Great post Shubee.  I remember your mom very well when I visited your house off Ramona.  Not every mom will let you keep engines in the house.

1.  Russ Welch
2.  Gary Shubrook
3.  Larry Rick
4.  Steve Walker
5.  Chris Morley
6.  Bill Makepeace
7.  Kid Dean
8.  Gene Berg
9.  Jim Moore
LOL Dave Thats True But With All The EMPI STUFF I HAD Do You Think I would Put it anywhere Else how many guys moms let them use the spare room in the house to store car parts LOL

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: