The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:14:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350829 Posts in 28602 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Name 10 guys that influenced you personally in VW's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Name 10 guys that influenced you personally in VW's  (Read 41737 times)
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2008, 02:08:49 am »

Well, influence can be many things. I am - mainly - an engine guy, so people that knew and know stuff about that end are the main influence for me.
In random order:

Frank Andersen,
Jørn Dalsgaard,
Gerd Joost,
Greg Aronson,
Pat Downs,
Bo Kristiansen (Owner of West Speed)
John Brewster (Former manager of Autocavan Ipswich)
Keith Seume & wife, for keeping on rocking, even when it gets tough. (Hi Keith. It´s been a while)
Johannes Persson, for opening the possibllity for even more type 1 super street power.
Old man Berg. You cant really get around him.
T
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 07:13:01 am »

The list is longer than 10 but here are the VW people who influenced my involvement in and lifelong participation in the VW hobby:

1. Don Ward - Der Wagon Shop in Orangevale, California, who in 1970 blew me away with a bug that had a giant VW motor in it. Decided I had to sell my 56 Chevy and buy one (a VW).
2. Mike Laurmann - (1970)The VW Mechanic at Sunrise Motors in Citrus Heights, California, who took an uneducated VW motor guy and turned my 1300cc 66 bug into a 1968cc, 40P11 topped rocket ship toy. 
3. Ray Vallero - VW mechanic and Drag Racer from NIELLO VOLKSWAGEN in 1971. His machine work and VW enthusiasm that got me into more serious VW engines.
4. Dave Vanderbeke (1971?)- A crazy VW drag racer I talked with at a points race in Sacramento...where I also saw the Econo Motor modified compacts of Darrell Vittone and other VW guys like the Schley's.  What a weekend that ruined me.
5. John Stafford (1977)- Who allowed me to announce early Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's, including the one with the largest California Caravan, who later encouraged me to start my own event in Phoenix when I moved there from Fair Oaks, California.
6. GENE BERG - One of my first major sponsors for the First Arizona Bug-Run and later all my Phoenix Bug-O-Rama events through event 31. He was a mentor in many regards, a friend and someone I was fortunate to know beyond the rumor mill...He was nothing but a great support and encouragement to me.
7. Dean Lowry - Personal friend and who did my heads until passing away. We spent some quality time together...one was to a PRA meeting in Cal one year and time we spent together when I built the first set of IRS arms for his Chopped PRO Sedan (first in the 9's naturally aspirated w/o nitrous)
8. Gary Berg - For raising the bar on what a Cal Look Street car should be with his 67 Bug (which I patterned one of mine after). For a great time every time I have had a chance to interact with him...and for being a stand up guy when it comes to knowing his stuff and doing first class work.
9. Don Bulitta - One opinionated friend but always someone who is who he is...and a friend through the good and the bad. One heck of a talented automotive electrician who has helped me on my projects.
10. Hundreds of great VW editors (Dean Kirsten, Keith Seume and others), enthusiasts, sponsors, racers (Dick & Cory McClenathan who were always gentlemen and appreciative of the work a promoter went to), car show people (Frenchy DeHoix to name one specifically, who raises the bar when it comes to detail), swappers and VW lovers who made my years in promoting events something that kept me anchored in the hobby. Plus the great people we met during the years of doing the BERG Cruise, including dealers and VW event promoters.  The greatest of all these VW supporters was the Milwaukee Policewoman who I talked into letting us to burnouts in the street next to concours motors in 1996. A truly unique experience!

Rick Mortensen
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:17:28 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
TOM / EINHEIT 11

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 11:25:51 am »

there are so many people that have had an influence on me.  Here are  just a few by chronological order when I met them.

1. my teacher in  primary school (  Swiss elementary school )
  2. Hot Vws magazine
  3. Dave Rhoads ( his car was......and still is one of my favorites )
  4. Herbert Rausch ( a canadian, lives in switzerland, build one of the first cal lookers in switzerland out of german steel. Very
      international hmmmmm? By the way one of the founders of EINHEIT 11 back in the 80s and still krzn the streets of CH.
  5. Frank Fabozzi ( if im right he worked for custom car in Azusa CA or i met him there back in the late 80s )
  6. Jim Sandoval ( worked for Johnnys Speed & Chrome. He sold a 1835 GEX motor to me )
  7. Jacky Morel ( Super VW Mag / brought the cal look to EU with its great magazine )
  8.  Keith Seume ( no Mercy.....one of the most famous race beetles in EU back then )
  9. Colin Burnham ( his cool book Air - Cooled Volkswagens )
10.  Don Heckmann ( Painter of Tim Allens Home improvment TV Show Hot Rod / we worked together for Hot Rods by Magoos )

thanx to all these people i was  falling in love with Volkswagens and still love building and krzn my cars. Thank U all. TOM

O.C.SRFR

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2008, 21:58:37 pm »

I have eight:

1- My father-If it was not for him I would not have been into drag racing at all He tried to break me in on 409's. But fell in love with VW's after watching Mike Ragasa make a pass at the first Brotherhood raceway.

2- Steve Wade- As soon as I saw Steve's car at the age of 10 I always hoped and dreamed that someday the car would be mine. 15 years and still looking for it by the way.

3-Mike Mabe- Tought me a street car can look great and haul ass at the same time. Loved how the car lauched.

4-Bruce Lowry- He built one of three drag cars I admired the most. Tried to find it for years. Found out it was it was purchased for cheap reapainted to look like an early gasser at was sold for an outrageous price. What a shame I loved the car white with the yellow windows and the satin finished centerlines.

5-Dan Hauglestine- An other one of my favorite racers to watch when I was a kid. Saw the car crash at Palmdale during the race for the gold series.

6-Mike Ragasa- Loved the car used to see it all the time. The car besides Steve Wade's Quaterflash is the reason I got into VW's Wanted the car really bad. Will never forgive Dyno for selling it to Bear. When he sold that car He sold a bit of my childhood.

7- Dean Lowry- My father and I met him at OCIR when he was with his daughter Marla. What a humble and pleasent man. Really down to earth for man with such history behind him . I will never forget that day

8- Bob Hole- Loved watching him race Nast Habit. Car ran a small turbo motor. Just shows that bigger is not better.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2008, 23:34:21 pm »

I only have 7 :

1. First above everything my dad, it's thanks to him I'm into old and fast cars, and he always helps me on my rides ! Grin

2. The guy that filmed the first movie The Love Bug, if I remember well the first time I saw a bug was in this movie.

3. Jacky Morel of Super VW Magazine because it's in this mag that I discovered what you can do with a vw ! The first issue I bought was #76 (december 1995 !).

4. Keith Seume for The Book.

5. The DAS guys for their awesome cars. Cool

6. A guy that droves his type 2 bus on the road next to my house when I was a child, I was always looking at him and his bus ! Never saw him or the bus again since at least 15 years...

7. Every cal-looker here on the lounge and everywhere for the inspiration.

Speed-Randy

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:31 am »

1. Danny gabbard- great friend for over 25 years, talked each other into and out of a shit load of vw's
2. Brent kooiman- same as above
3. Shawn middleton- best friend from high school, totally into vw's then, wouldnt touch one now
4. Ogle byers- dannys neighbor across the street, gave me my first "idiot" book and said"read it idiot"
5. Kerry lewis- my uncle who sold me my first vw, and helped me work on it
6. DKK- evryone in that club was cool
7. DKPIII- everyone in that club is cool
about it for me

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 04:46:53 am »

Great thread!

1) My Dad. Not for VW's, but for the time we spent together working on his projects.
2) My older Brother Bruce. Still shares the VW madness with me, he drives about the cleanest VW Baja you've ever seen, and he's talking once again about building another Cal-Looker. He's the kind of guy that you want to do things together with. He taught me so much when I was young, I was able to return the favor later.
3,4,5) Rich Denham, Clyde Ford, Bob ??(I forgot his last name). Neighborhood VW guys, all of 'em talented, all of 'em let the pesky VW kid (me) hang out and work on my car and learn from them.
6) Marc Souter. Nice guy and knew how to build a Cal-Looker.
7,8) Herb Roberts, Hugh Teitsworth aka H&H Motors. My first job as a VW Mechanic. They hired me at 18 years old... I thought I knew it all... Those guys ran a quality shop and they patiently taught me the "right way"
9) Gene Berg. He and I spent some quality time in a parking lot behind a pizza parlor after a rally. He taught me some basics on dual carbs that I still use today. I bought a lot of parts from G.B. over the years.
10)John Rayburn... Bona-fide VW nut and good friend for 25+ years... Thanks for all of the encouragement John, I'll be out tearing up the streets in the Oval in 2009.   I promise.

I could go on...

Honorable mention, The Lounge.
It's been a lot of fun sharing stories with like minded good people from all over the world. The memories, stories, photos have helped motivate me to get back in to VW's.

~DR.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2008, 04:46:58 am »

Les Purnell - great person, great boss, and taught me the basics when I was one of his mechanics.

Gene Berg - for always taking the time to talk to me whenever I was lucky enough to see him at VW events.

Most of all... my Dad - for taking us to the dealers in the '60s and buying brand new Volkswagens. I'll never forget the smell of sitting in brand new VWs and Porsches on the same showroom floor. And for teaching my sister and me that life is short, so work hard, play harder, and joke around as much as humanly possible. Also for being my mentor, my hero, my power, and my everything.

I didn't name ten people because I suck ass at math. Deal with it.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
rick m

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2008, 06:44:46 am »

I was fortunate to have some great friends mentor me from day one. Here are my top 10 VW influences:

1. Mike Laurmann - VW/Porsche Mechanic at Sunrise Automotive in Citrus Heights, California, in 1970
2. Ray Vallero - VW Mechanic at Niello VW dealership in Sacramento, California when I first met him in 1971.
3. Sandy Braden - First Cal Look (pre-cal look era guy) in Sacramento, California in 1971, who had a 57 oval that had a PAUTER 92mmx73mm REVTRUE motor, aluminum wheels and CROWN close ratio gears in his street car.
4. Dean Lowry - Whom I met for the first time in 1972 when DDS was actually discussing closing. I drove from Sacramento to look at his chopped white sedan with Purple and Yellow accents and DDS running across the roof along the drip rails on each side. At the time he was selling it there was a 5 speed gearbox in it.  I could have owned it for $2500 minus motor. I was destined to have a chop to drive. Later Dean honored me by asking me to build the rear suspension for the last Chopped drag sedan he built. The car left hard and ran high 9's at Sears Point on the first outing with my rear suspension on the car.
5. Gary Berg - For his openess and sharing information about his first generation 67 when I first saw it at a BUG-IN, carrying the wheels in competition.  That same event he raced against GENE in the BLACK family race car. Later, after rebuilding the car after his terrible wreck, he took me for a spin in the new Minerva Blue version and I decided to build my next 67 like his.
6. Gene Berg - Who when overseeing the RACE for the GOLD helped form a group of racers to support our first BUG-RUN event in Arizona in 1984. I was priveledged to get to know Gene, Dee and the family through their years of generous support.  Always enjoyed discussions with GENE and the boys.  More VW talent in one family than I think has ever existed.
7. John Isaacs - A VW engine builder in Arizona when I first move there in 80 from Sacramento, California.  John was the first guy I met when I arrived in Phoenix. I had a ton of VW performance parts I was selling at the time and he came and laid down $2,000 for some of them.
8. Mike Fischer - Who I met second in Arizona and has done my machine work for the past 26 years on all my engine projects. Mike is very pragmatic and pays attention to detail and things that keep motors running.
9. Steve Hollingsworth - One of the best all around VW mechanics I have ever met.  He does all the little things that no one else does...that make a difference for longevity.
10. ALL VW ENTHUSIASTS WHO FOR 21 YEARS GRACIOUSLY ATTENDED FIRST MY BUG-RUN EVENTS in 1984 and later for 20 years attended all the Phoenix Bug-O-RAMA events.  They kept my VW enthusiasm alive for 2 decades. People like Dean Kirsten (Best VW Editor/writer in our industry), Bill Taylor (For years of hard work helping the PRA come into being), Doug Mische (Talented Engineer and King of the One Liners), Bernard Newberry & wife Carol (great hosts), Don Bulitta (most loyal friend a guy could have), Sil Modesti (best TIG welder on the planet), and Frenchy DeHoix who like myself and the rest of us, are a lot of old guys who still share the enthusiasm for VWs that got us into this hobby to begin with over 38+ years ago.

Rick Mortensen
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 06:59:47 am by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 08:36:04 am »

Hey Rick, that's cheating! You've posted two lists!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Russell

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 11:55:12 am »

I agree a 2nd set should be allowed as things change..... see new topic

Best Regards

Russell
Mike Lawless

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 18:24:16 pm »

I have to break mine up into "Era's"

In my formative years, ages 14 thru 18...
Darrell Vittone
Dave Vanderbeke
Ron Fleming

These guys are responsible for putting me on the drag race path. I'd never met any of them, but read of their activities in the magazines of the time (Late 60's, Early 70s). I now count Ron Fleming as one of my "race buddies". Ron remains an inspiration.

I left the VW scene for a time and upon my return in the late 90s, it was pretty much "Cal Look," dancing on the outer edge of streetability and Drag racing...
Jim Karforski. His car set the tone for the Blue car.
Mike Gagen. He welcomed me into the fold, convinced me to come to the VW events and got me involved in DRKC. Mike and Art Guiterrez set he tone for DRKC right at the start and my goal was to compete at their level.
Scott Bakken. We met at the Vegas event in 2000. Actually in the hotel parking lot. We've been good friends ever since. The attention to detail he practices should be an inspiration to anyone.
Pat Downs. He was there for me to help me compete in DKRC. His work ethic and passion for his craft is second to none.

At the conclusion of our run in DRKC in '03 it was on to PRA competition, and these guys have been an inspiration and shown me and others that we compete head to head and be good friends all at the same time.
Allen Wiess
John Scheurger
Doug Berg.

I thank you all. You guys are the reason we are involved.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Matty c

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 21:08:12 pm »

hmmm,  Undecided
1, my bro jay for getting me hooked in the 1st place
2, ian clarke
3, "lil jay" reynolds, i loved that 67
4, mr keith zoom
5, peter englezos
7, paul bate
8, dean lowry, the guvnor
9,simon & shane, paintbox
10, greg aronson, for defining the look

67heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 21:34:01 pm »

#1 don oper the most talented fabricator-machinest i've ever met #2 joni bathurst -got me back into vws about 1981-2 #3 randy long- like a brother, always there to help and talk me into buying another vw. #4-mark voegty very talented machinest, engine builder. #5 Jeff denam - another good fabricator, engine builder. #6 dan fink- made me step up my fab skills when I worked for him. #7- all the guys from DKK that are still into it like glen,bill,greg,rick they all know who they are.#8 phil remington the head fabricator for dan gurney when I worked there. #9 brent koolman probably my first vw related friend close to 30 years ago and still into it and building cars. #10-ogle byer for being my suto-dad and helping me and my shop out in more ways than one #11 my great girl friend Karen for putting up with the shit when I'm working on something, very patient.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 21:38:30 pm by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
rick m

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 21:36:04 pm »

Mike,

First of all, I have Eric Vaughn doing a set of front wheels for me.  Can't wait to get them.

Breaking the list into an era is probably even more realistic.  Over the years, as I met more and more people, each one had even greater influences on me. It is hard to remember and list all the great people...hoping not to miss anyone and offiend. 

Good idea about era perspectives.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
kev d

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 22:22:50 pm »

Interesting topic with lots of untold stories behind them too Cool

1. my dad - got me into `dubs even though we don`t agree on much else..

2. colin burnham - from his influence in street machine magazine to his own red `looker & book

3. keith seume - for custom car `vwxyz`, TLF 25, volksworld, the cal look bible, an orange fastback, ultra vw & whatever else he`s  got planned Cool

4. wray morrison - always up for playing with dubs!

5. dale clark - for starting up the club which brought a lot of us together

6. russell ritchie - like going to a show with a tazmanian devil... Wink

7. the dkp guys

8. the off guys

9. the paintbox - artists! Cool

10. last but not least the wife - jo

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Mike Lawless

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2008, 22:32:22 pm »

Mike,

First of all, I have Eric Vaughn doing a set of front wheels for me.  Can't wait to get them.

Breaking the list into an era is probably even more realistic.  Over the years, as I met more and more people, each one had even greater influences on me. It is hard to remember and list all the great people...hoping not to miss anyone and offiend. 

Good idea about era perspectives.

Rick M

Thanks Rick

I hear ya on not listing everyone or missing people. There are dozens and dozens, yourself included, that I can list as to why we do this......thing we do! It's all about the people!

And I know you'll be very happy with those wheels!

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
rick m

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2013, 20:20:05 pm »

Hey Keith...my age is showing. I loose track of how many times I an posting! LOL

Will you be at the 2013 classic?

RM

Rick Mortensen
Dyno-Don

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2013, 16:46:27 pm »

Well, Rick brought this long dormant thread back up after 5 years. It was a pretty cool read down memory lane on many of the names, so I thought I'd play as well.

1. This is a combo - Lynn and Ron Rosevear for allowing me to work at Auto Haus in the mid 70's. I was Not a VW guy when I started there, I was more of an "original" mini truck (before they became goofy bed dancing, ass dragging useless things) and Sports Car guy. Since Auto Haus was adding more import and sporty car stuff, they thought I might be of some help.

2. John Lazenby and Pat McMahon - Pat was the Costa Mesa store manager who recommended me and John was the one who essentially hired me. Although John was no longer a VW owner at that time (driving a Green Bavaria and then the maroon 5 series BMW, one of the first in the area) his knowledge and stories taught me a lot about VW's, even if I was too dumb to realize it at the time. Pat was building a Baja for Pro Rally and I learned a lot working on that car - he has been a lifelong friend.

3. My Auto Haus Co-Workers and DKP friends of that era - OK I'm counting the following names all together as they contributed to my VW schooling - Doug Mische, Roger Graco, Stan Davis, Horrible Hansen, Fast Eddie Craig, Mark Melbreth, Dug Bug, Mike Martinez (who gave me a pair of DKP stickers when I helped work on Graco's car after the crash), Dave & Ron Greiner - there are many other from those days 35+ years ago that I am forgetting

4. Chuck Babbitt - Shakey doing his thing right in the showroom of Auto Haus Costa Mesa changed my outlook on pinstriping, detail, and subtly for ever. HE is the reason that Ruby the 66 will be dechromed with fine floating lines where the side trim used to be. Plus we had many good conversations over the years that influenced my outlook on life.

5. Bob Giese - a legend in Off Road VW lore, but also did Indy cars and many other forms of racing. One of the best fabricators I ever met, willing to teach a young punk and someone I owe a lot too. He taught me that I could cut and weld metal too.

6. The Magazine guys and Photographers - from DB&HVW to VW Trends. R.K. Smith, I still count him as a friend, Judy Smith, The Wright's, Dean Kirsten (not to mention our mutual love for Anglia's), Bruce Simurda, Bob Clark, the Parkhurst's who did the first issue of Hot VW's as a Cycle World special mag, Jere Alhadeff  - without these folks bringing us the goings on and features, none of this would have ever grown like it did.

7. Roger Crawford  - As a customer he would talk about his VW motor ideas back then, he also was responsible for my leaving Auto Haus, but he didn't know it. He had complained that the "new" IDF's that we were selling were not the right ones for VW use, they were set up for some Italian car. I reported this at our Manager's meeting and apparently Lynn took offense to it and threatened to fire me, so a few weeks later I decided to leave for another Import Parts store, which started a chain of events that led to me starting The Mini Truck Store

8. I only had our first Cal Look car for a short time in the 70's (with the Mike Martinez supplied DKP decals), like only a couple of months. In the early 90's I restored Malcolm Smith's famous off road race car while working for Jerry Penhall (Hot VW's September 92 issue) and got the "bug" for another, so I started building a Tube Frame Baja Bug, but just before it was finished a guy who worked for Mesa West just had to have it and it went away. I kind of forgot about VW's again until I hired the next guy on my list - Bloody Chris Ashworth to work in my Hot Rod Shop. We became friends and he told me of his love and history with VW's in his native England. Well this got me thinking about them again. I closed the shop and Chris started Romance With Rust and he found the car that I now have - my '66. So I have to Blame/Thank him for getting me back into this sport.

9. Most important - DAD. Although he was Not a VW guy (although he had toyed with the idea of building both a Manx and a Brubaker Box in the 70's), he was a Jazz Musician who was a car guy. He had a run of British Sports Cars and motorcycles that he was always tinkering with and that started my obsession with all things with motors and wheels. And he was thrilled when I bought my Sunbeam Tiger race car (which was during my Auto Haus years)

I'm sure more folks will come to mind as I think about this a bit more
johnl

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2013, 17:17:06 pm »

Don, thanks for including me in the list.  I know I had the reputation of being hard nosed but my intentions we only for the betterment of Auto Haus.  All of these years later I look back and feel what ever I offered to any and all paid off.

One story in particular that really touched me was some years ago I went to Kymco when Jeff Kymla was still running and owned the place.  I ordered a bunch of stuff for my black '63 and when it came time for the bill he only wanted about $100, the parts were more like $700.  I didn't understand but then he told me of what an impact I'd had on him and he owed me much for his success and it was his way of saying "thanks".  I've never forgotten that conversation.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 19:47:22 pm »

Don, thanks for including me in the list.  I know I had the reputation of being hard nosed but my intentions we only for the betterment of Auto Haus.  All of these years later I look back and feel what ever I offered to any and all paid off.

One story in particular that really touched me was some years ago I went to Kymco when Jeff Kymla was still running and owned the place.  I ordered a bunch of stuff for my black '63 and when it came time for the bill he only wanted about $100, the parts were more like $700.  I didn't understand but then he told me of what an impact I'd had on him and he owed me much for his success and it was his way of saying "thanks".  I've never forgotten that conversation.

John, you were a bit of a "Hard Nose" and even a bit "Stiff", but we just reckoned that it was cuz you were upper management and we were just Peon's  - even as store manager's  Grin I know most of us respected you though!

I will never forget first meeting Jeff Kymla, he had come into a little money and decided to go off road racing. He bought a Class 9 car, trailer and a New Dodge van. He came in the Costa Mesa store to buy some stuff and ask advice. Pat, Dug Bug and I sold him a bunch of stuff - current harnesses, some spares parts, wheels and tires - and became friends. Even went to Riverside Raceway with him when he raced the thing at the Mickey Thompson races there. Went to some crazy parties at his house as well. He and Dug in particular became good friends. He spent and partied a bit too much and needed a job and I recommended him to join us at Auto Haus. Those were some good times.
johnl

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013, 20:35:12 pm »

John, you were a bit of a "Hard Nose" and even a bit "Stiff", but we just reckoned that it was cuz you were upper management and we were just Peon's  - even as store manager's  Grin I know most of us respected you though!

I will never forget first meeting Jeff Kymla, he had come into a little money and decided to go off road racing. He bought a Class 9 car, trailer and a New Dodge van. He came in the Costa Mesa store to buy some stuff and ask advice. Pat, Dug Bug and I sold him a bunch of stuff - current harnesses, some spares parts, wheels and tires - and became friends. Even went to Riverside Raceway with him when he raced the thing at the Mickey Thompson races there. Went to some crazy parties at his house as well. He and Dug in particular became good friends. He spent and partied a bit too much and needed a job and I recommended him to join us at Auto Haus. Those were some good times.

Don, since you brought up Jeff Kymla here is the rest of the story I haven't previously stated.

Yes, Jeff came into some money and as I recall it was around 35K back in the mid '70's which was a lot them.  He proceeded to blow through it in less than 6 months.  Typical youth having no understanding or respect on how difficult money is to make and when you have it be careful how you handle it.

Anyway one day Jeff came to me and said "How do you do it?"  I replied with Jeff what do you mean?  "You have a home and drive a new BMW 5 series".  At that point I said okay Jeff tell me what you do when you get your paycheck?  "Why I cash it go out, buy clothes and party".  I said well I take mine to the bank and go home and turn on the TV.

Years later he remembered this story to me and that is why he gave me the deal on the parts.  The value to me was far more than saving the money but having had somewhat of an impact on him.  It took a while but he finally figured it out.  One of the best feelings I've ever had was when Jeff told me that.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2013, 20:43:10 pm »

Don, since you brought up Jeff Kymla here is the rest of the story I haven't previously stated.

Yes, Jeff came into some money and as I recall it was around 35K back in the mid '70's which was a lot them.  He proceeded to blow through it in less than 6 months.  Typical youth having no understanding or respect on how difficult money is to make and when you have it be careful how you handle it.

Anyway one day Jeff came to me and said "How do you do it?"  I replied with Jeff what do you mean?  "You have a home and drive a new BMW 5 series".  At that point I said okay Jeff tell me what you do when you get your paycheck?  "Why I cash it go out, buy clothes and party".  I said well I take mine to the bank and go home and turn on the TV.

Years later he remembered this story to me and that is why he gave me the deal on the parts.  The value to me was far more than saving the money but having had somewhat of an impact on him.  It took a while but he finally figured it out.  One of the best feelings I've ever had was when Jeff told me that.

John, you are right about that amount - or very close at least. It was a trust inheritance from his father's passing IIRC that he got when he turned a certain age - 18 or 19 I think. And you were spot on, not only with what he was doing, but your advise as well. Sage words of wisdom that was a life lesson well learned not only for Jeff, but made some of the rest of us think a bit as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: