The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:29:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look Karmann Ghia thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Cal Look Karmann Ghia thread  (Read 157933 times)
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2019, 18:35:44 pm »

Fat chick on earlies

Is this your car, Tom?

68K mile California car, never restored, super og..... sold it about 6 months ago Sam.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
type149doug

« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2019, 04:47:16 am »

This thread is inspiring me...  Thanks Jim.
bilboa2

« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2019, 23:56:41 pm »

[ [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]    I did few changes to my ghia through the years before I sold it to Ron Greiner. I now think the best look was with the 4.5 alloys all around and with the rear bumper. The car was a 1970, but I put on the smaller -69 front turn signals. Fun days...  Bill
Duck

« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2019, 09:14:10 am »

Fat chick on earlies

Is this your car, Tom?

68K mile California car, never restored, super og..... sold it about 6 months ago Sam.

What was the set up at the front, stock width beam, dropped spindles etc?
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #304 on: May 13, 2019, 14:47:00 pm »

Fat chick on earlies

Is this your car, Tom?

What was the set up at the front, stock width beam, dropped spindles etc?

Front - Dropped spindles, adjusters, 2" Beam, 15x5.5 Fuchs w/165/65/15 Continentals.
Rear - Stock height 15x5.5 Fuchs w/195/65/15 Continentals.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2019, 18:17:05 pm »

can't believe there have been no pics of Clive Househam's Ghia from 1986/87 - built in the UK and still looks the same today.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #306 on: May 13, 2019, 18:21:38 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Roger Grago's Ghia...  Shocked

Photo: Roger Grago RIP.  Cry

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Grelland

« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2019, 23:15:08 pm »

A couple of shots of my '62 coupe on Flat4 fuchs and a 2110cc oxy in the rear

« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2019, 13:23:16 pm »

Absolutely loving this thread and forum. It's inspirational. Still a way to go on mine. Has a fully built John Maher 1600, standard other than electronic ignition and balanced/blue printed. Previous owner had it built, runs like a dream, shame the bodywork doesn't match the engine.. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Neil Davies

« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2019, 19:16:23 pm »

Absolutely loving this thread and forum. It's inspirational. Still a way to go on mine. Has a fully built John Maher 1600, standard other than electronic ignition and balanced/blue printed. Previous owner had it built, runs like a dream, shame the bodywork doesn't match the engine.. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It's a Ghia 'vert, and therefore is cool. Pair of 36 DRLAs and a decent exhaust would wake it up a treat! Welcome to the forum, always the first tab open on my phone.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Ick

« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2019, 20:00:28 pm »

Thanks. Glad I stumbled across it. Had a beetle since there was just magazines. Bought the Ghia about 15 years back as a daily. Now it's used on sunny days and fun days. Hoping one day to get EBI. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Glauco

« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:36 am »

might as well use this topic rather than start a new one. Smiley

my callook history is ok, bur far from perfect, so I was hoping one of u guys could give me an answer:

When dit people start with filling the nostrils on a karmann?
When I started mine 10 years ago I had the red Marc Souter and the babyblue jeff benedict cars in mind.
As I was (AM) truly in love with these cars I also loved the look of roger grago, Tod Fuller and of course frenchy's ghia. Those 4 cars realy pulled me in to the (particularly karmann) callook scene.
seeing the souter car in real life and knowing it is in good hands and still in it's former glory realy makes me happy. It realy is a joy to see it ride and to be able to ride along with it, like last week Grin
I know that the baby blue Benedict car should be in new zeeland somewhere, but not sure if still in the same form?

I had a real hard time choosing a colour so I tried to make a blend of the cars that influenced me and wanted a vw porsche colour so I went with no turn signals, filled nostrils and signal yellow. for five years I was convinced this was the way to go.
until last week when I decided that the yellow just didn't go with the look so I opened the nostrills again
now just need to convince myserf it was a wise decision...  Roll Eyes And maybe try some bumpers for a change..

but to stick to my question:

I know the Souter and Benedict cars were build around the late 70s, but were they the first?

thank you

Glauco
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:39:19 am by Glauco » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2019, 13:57:15 pm »

I think the Jeff Benedict car (as you say, now in New Zealand) is nothing like it was. I seem to remember plans to paint it black and put big billet wheels on it.
Steve Tims gold lowlight drag Ghia had the nose grilles plated over but I think that was just rivitted aluminium. I'd guess it became popular as people started to race them, especially with fibreglass fronts.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Glauco

« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2019, 16:12:19 pm »

I think the Jeff Benedict car (as you say, now in New Zealand) is nothing like it was. I seem to remember plans to paint it black and put big billet wheels on it.

Page 6 of this topic tells me this. Owned by a guy named QT VW here on the forum..
If would be a pita if it is black on billet wheels now...
wolfswest

« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2019, 07:58:34 am »

might as well use this topic rather than start a new one. Smiley

my callook history is ok, bur far from perfect, so I was hoping one of u guys could give me an answer:

When dit people start with filling the nostrils on a karmann?
When I started mine 10 years ago I had the red Marc Souter and the babyblue jeff benedict cars in mind.
As I was (AM) truly in love with these cars I also loved the look of roger grago, Tod Fuller and of course frenchy's ghia. Those 4 cars realy pulled me in to the (particularly karmann) callook scene.
seeing the souter car in real life and knowing it is in good hands and still in it's former glory realy makes me happy. It realy is a joy to see it ride and to be able to ride along with it, like last week Grin

I know that the baby blue Benedict car should be in new zeeland somewhere, but not sure if still in the same form?

I had a real hard time choosing a colour so I tried to make a blend of the cars that influenced me and wanted a vw porsche colour so I went with no turn signals, filled nostrils and signal yellow. for five years I was convinced this was the way to go.
until last week when I decided that the yellow just didn't go with the look so I opened the nostrills again
now just need to convince myserf it was a wise decision...  Roll Eyes And maybe try some bumpers for a change..

but to stick to my question:

I know the Souter and Benedict cars were build around the late 70s, but were they the first?

thank you

Glauco

Get rid of the nose emblem en try a set of blade bumpers, then you have your front exactly like Frenchy's KG.  If you don't like it you can always start completely over again.  Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Fiatdude

« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2019, 08:51:21 am »

Waving the flag

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:53:26 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2020, 05:40:12 am »

https://www.facebook.com/danny.gabbard.7/media_set?set=a.2254896176355&type=3

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Duck

« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2020, 14:28:50 pm »

Tcracingca

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2020, 03:35:41 am »

Just to be funny in front of the polish and wax crowd, we did this prior to going hunting for races on Whittier Boulevard. My 2110cc 48IDA car was the one on the right, the 1835 was a younger brothers car. Cruising them without wiping off the polish sure got attention. About 1982. The neighbor guy was like saying, what are you guys going?

Our 3rd car, the Red 1959, 1914cc is below, belonging to my youngest brother sometime in the 1990s
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:49:30 am by Tcracingca » Logged

Old street & canyon racer, President of Turnbull Canyon Road Racing Society. Now into Vintage Racing Corvettes since 1982, but had Cal Look Street racing Ghia mostly part of the Whittier Boulevard crowd 1978- later 80s.Owned V8 powered Porsche 914 at the peak of Canyon racing days. I turned the Ghia over to the girlfriend, and she would hunt races against the Muscle cars and Hot Rods. We raced a bunch with the Nabisco crowd at times, but local venue was the Box Factory and Four Lanes. Car was 2110cc, dual 48IDAs, but street operated on 45 Dellortoes. Ran high 11 seconds on slicks, or 12s on 7 inch wide Centerlines, ran FK-89, 1.4 roller rockers earliest Superflo ported heads, SCS close ratio crash box. 1-7/8 stinger. Picture above. Graduated High School Hacienda Heights- Wilson, joined US Navy and came up weekends to race. Had 1967 Camaro decked out to for the canyon, then 500 hp plus flared Corvettes. Own a 63 Slalom car, a 64 Race car, a 68 T-top street car. Dad had Blue 68!
Tcracingca

« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2020, 21:24:53 pm »

Here is what I am doing with parts and engines from my 1969 Ghia in my Avatar, and my old 1973 Porsche 914 V8 car. So working on one Formula car to get a Porsche 2.4 based engine, and another totally home built to get the old 2110cc from this car, and mostly 914 mechanicals. So the spirit of my Ghia and Porsche will live on, in these race cars.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 21:29:24 pm by Tcracingca » Logged

Old street & canyon racer, President of Turnbull Canyon Road Racing Society. Now into Vintage Racing Corvettes since 1982, but had Cal Look Street racing Ghia mostly part of the Whittier Boulevard crowd 1978- later 80s.Owned V8 powered Porsche 914 at the peak of Canyon racing days. I turned the Ghia over to the girlfriend, and she would hunt races against the Muscle cars and Hot Rods. We raced a bunch with the Nabisco crowd at times, but local venue was the Box Factory and Four Lanes. Car was 2110cc, dual 48IDAs, but street operated on 45 Dellortoes. Ran high 11 seconds on slicks, or 12s on 7 inch wide Centerlines, ran FK-89, 1.4 roller rockers earliest Superflo ported heads, SCS close ratio crash box. 1-7/8 stinger. Picture above. Graduated High School Hacienda Heights- Wilson, joined US Navy and came up weekends to race. Had 1967 Camaro decked out to for the canyon, then 500 hp plus flared Corvettes. Own a 63 Slalom car, a 64 Race car, a 68 T-top street car. Dad had Blue 68!
Joe Hullett

« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2021, 21:26:17 pm »

Wink

Well, well, well.  I'm guessing the kid I sold it to ran out of talent somewhere...  Hopefully he took it back to Santini.

The older I get...  The faster I was...  No Fear
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2021, 18:31:16 pm »

Wink

Well, well, well.  I'm guessing the kid I sold it to ran out of talent somewhere...  Hopefully he took it back to Santini.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

and by the way welcome joe

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Joe Hullett

« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2021, 02:54:26 am »

Wink

Shocked Shocked Shocked

and by the way welcome joe

I had never seen that picture before.  I didn't even know the car had been crashed.  Picture saved and thank you!

The older I get...  The faster I was...  No Fear
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #323 on: October 28, 2021, 18:59:27 pm »

Wink

What a downer ...  Embarrassed

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Duck

« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2022, 21:30:41 pm »

restojohnny

« Reply #325 on: June 05, 2022, 22:42:35 pm »

Here’s my 80’s callooker 56 ghia I sold awhile back

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
Eddie DVK

« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2022, 07:47:37 am »

Nice, clean and simple is the best, my onion.

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
karl h

« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2022, 09:23:32 am »

i just pulled the tarp from my 68 vert
had it since 98 and drove it for ten years when i was over to the states. then a rear ender put an end to this. it now rests in my garage for 14 years and counting.
wonder if i will ever get to it...... Cry

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: