The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:43:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Too cool
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Too cool  (Read 1964 times)
nigelg65

« on: September 06, 2010, 10:01:38 am »

What's the coolest a 1776cc should run on a late summer day in the UK? I've got decklid stand-offs, louvres and the inspection panels are left uncovered. Mine never seems to get up to temperature and I'm wondering if the temp gauge is knackered, although it does move.
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 13:08:43 pm »

if possible check with an infrared gun (pointer type thingy) that is the most accurate way.
and if you don't consume too much fuel, it is probally the gauge that is off.  Wink it also really depends where you meassure, my sender has been placed in two different locations with different result and now it has been in the oilfiltertop. but even that wasn't stable as there was a difference between the bracket mounted to the shroud (type3 engine), with a bracket on the exhaust flange (way hotter) and now on the stabilisation bar.

so there are many variables and i personally think you should 'know' your gauge and go from there to know what is too hot and what not. i think oilpressure is a better factor to hold your eye on.

nigelg65

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 13:27:38 pm »

N,

Great advice. The engine never smells hot so I'm guessing I'm doing ok and the oil pressure is around 50psi under load.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 19:19:35 pm »

that works.

but check the pressure after driving a while and the engine is heated up and make sure it doesn't fall under 1, more safely 1.2 BAR

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: