The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 16:23:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Have you ever seen this before !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you ever seen this before !  (Read 8257 times)
Fredy Kucmocht

« on: February 26, 2013, 23:44:02 pm »

This is an Engle FK 87 cam and the lifters are Udo Becker.
One of the tappet is completely flat and one lifter is also destroyed.
The engine ran only on the dyno !
Have you ever seen this before ? [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:36:29 am by Fredy Kucmocht » Logged
LGK

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:39 am »

Hi Freddy,

I would ask how are you doing but regarding the topic i assume not so good... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Was this with a set of lightweight lifters from Udo?

There have been others before you with this experience i can tell you.

Try to talk about the issue with Udo,see what he comes up with...Off course it's not sure that the issue is at the lifters,many other variables are important into the game,firing up and running in the engine was that with the dual springs(Udo's instruction says duals on no running in needed) on and wich ones at what spring rate? What oil did you use?Did you load the engine havy on the dyno when running in? Did you check the radius on the tappet of the lifters?Was it a brand new camshaft?

Best regards Steve

drgouk

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:16:29 am »

Have you got pictures of the lifter?
Peter

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »

Yes I have,
with two sets of those lifters actually!
Peter

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »

My cousin's engine is apart now, we used Cb lifters in his...
All looks like new..
wish i bought those  from the start  Angry
Peter

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

Oh, they destroyed a CB cam and a webcam of mine as well:
lobes were non existant
benlawrence

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »

I have had an fk8 go flat with scat lifters, it was my first and only experience, i put it down to very poor quality oil, well actually its probably more to do with the fact that my oil selection (castrol semi synth) was not suitable for application, after running mineral oil high in zinc levels i havnt had a problem, i just broke my cam in on my new motor using plenty of cam shield single springs and 20 mins running with the millers high zinc. a mate of mine has run an fk87 with cb lightweight 2 piece lifters running valvoline vr1 and a one shot zddp additive, after a full season of long dyno time and racing he pulled the motor down over the winter, the cam and lifters were like new. I feel your pain flat cams are heartbreaking.
Peter

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 17:03:01 pm »

Me 2, i used high quality oil and did the regular break in sequence to be sure,
but no luck...
first time there was a fault with the hardening of the lifters i was told.
second cam... exactly same... and i was fucking paranoid not to do anything wrong...
I even did the run in with single springs...
will go for CB's next time for sure
henk

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »

not every body had luck whit the CB ones as well.
mine last for 20 min.
not sure what caused the probleme.
could be the coil bind that i had that damadged the lifter.
but we never turned the engine over so not sure if that was the probleme that caused the damadge.

henk!!!
Peter

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 13:38:42 pm »

Hey Henk,
that's an important measurement you forgot !
i did check for coil bind, but nonetheless
andy198712

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 18:49:32 pm »

follower to case clearance? would have been more serve then just that i would have though if it hadnt of cleared....

bummer Sad i thought tool steels where the be all and end all of lifter/cam issues Sad
LGK

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 20:56:51 pm »

As Peter mentioned,coil binding is one factor you should never overlook,as is the end play between the lifter and the case !
Otherwise the CB-lifters are very good,not one failure here! They have the correct radius too.

What's up Freddy did you get any info from Udo about your lifters?

Just asking.

Best regards Steve

Peter

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 00:01:52 am »

Checked the follower to case clearance as well..
it was all fine..
shit happens i suppose  Roll Eyes
Elnef

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:41 am »

My cb light weight lifter years ago

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3960.0.html

bought a new webcam cam and used theres lifter no problem and after a upgrade to jpm cam his lifter also without problems

John
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:35:13 am by Elnef » Logged
henk

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 13:35:08 pm »

My cb light weight lifter years ago

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3960.0.html

bought a new webcam cam and used theres lifter no problem and after a upgrade to jpm cam his lifter also without problems

John

that is also how my two lifters looked.
i know that it is important to check for coil bind,and we saw it before we turned the engine over so that is why i'm not sure that this was the cause.
we did not turned over by hand,before iwe changed the springs with the VW650.
i guess that lifters will be an discussion that last for ever,some has luck with a brand others don't.
i have lifters from Udo now and no probleme so far.

henk!!!
nicolas

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 21:10:24 pm »

i am sorry, but the problem can't be Udo's lifters alone here as different people have different experiences. just want to point this out, as i feel that people that try to make quality parts (what Udo's lifters are, again in my opinion, among others) don't always get the credit for doing that. there is however an important 'match' between lifter and cam concering hardness (make/brand/...) and how the valve train is build and adjusted is also critical.
andy198712

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 16:18:24 pm »

did a valve or rocker show any signs of seising maybe?
Shag55

Shag Leone, SL-1racing

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 15:25:31 pm »

i am sorry, but the problem can't be Udo's lifters alone here as different people have different experiences. just want to point this out, as i feel that people that try to make quality parts (what Udo's lifters are, again in my opinion, among others) don't always get the credit for doing that. there is however an important 'match' between lifter and cam concering hardness (make/brand/...) and how the valve train is build and adjusted is also critical.
Agreed. Most if not all times it's not the lifter at fault. Many things can cause this and knowing the signs of a problem durring the break in important so you can shut it off quickly. 1 major important thing overlooked when building a motor is that all the lifters spin and move up and down freely since a lifter that sticks will not turn when she warms up and that becomes a dead lifter. Many other things also to look for.
I've seen many different lifters fail including the CBs I've seen them cup on the face and even break in half. We're they the lifters fault, I doubt it but since I didn't build the motors I can't say.
I've yet to have a single lifter failure except for wear or pitting. I've used all of them. CB, Udos, Scat, Wiesmen, Norris ect. Bye far the best I've used it the Thorsten P. tool steel.

325hp and 290# torque @17psi on 91 pump
383hp and 324# torque @23psi on 50/50 mix
Shag55.sl1racing@gmail.com
Facebook at SL 1 racing
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: