The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 03:48:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350824 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  '72 Cal Look Beetle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: '72 Cal Look Beetle  (Read 13625 times)
BossHogg76

« on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:18 am »

Ok I apologise now, this doesn't have a huge motor, nor does it have any amazing engineering marvels on it, however it's my project and hopefully over time I can improve on it.

I bought the bug in March this year with the idea of just running it for the summer and enjoying it before doing some work in the winter. This is how I picked the car up.

[/img]

This first thing I wanted to change was the muffler and soon had a turbo trapp muffler wing it's way to my garage and quickly fitted.

The next supposed little job was to sort out the rot in the spare wheel well, however the job grew arms and legs and before I knew it me and my mate were reaching for the angle grinder and chopping sections out. However we soon had it all back together and ready for paint at another mates.

After that, a late night session on the samba (that's a lethal website for the wallet) had a Hurst Shifter heading over the Atlantic and quickly fitted

THEN it was time to enjoy it, so headed to Alford with a few friends off Aberdeen Aircooled,

Then the tinkering bug got a hold again, this time a pair of weber icts were bought and after a few weeks of my job getting in the way, they were fitted. Performance increase is probably limited to an increase in noise, and getting through a tank of petrol faster, but it keeps me busy and off the cheap cider.

The winter will hopefully include, some engine tinkering and tidying up the engine bay.

kev d

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 18:20:13 pm »

You found the lounge then Wink

Oh, the big motor's not a problem... I'm sure you'll get round to it!
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Type1/DVK

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 18:22:39 pm »

After that, a late night session on the samba (that's a lethal website for the wallet)
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy that a good one Tongue

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
BossHogg76

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 20:40:56 pm »

You found the lounge then Wink

Oh, the big motor's not a problem... I'm sure you'll get round to it!
Cheers,
Kev

Grin Hi Kev, it took a while but I eventually ferreted it out Wink

It's like finding out where all the cool kids hang out after school lol

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 20:56:28 pm by BossHogg76 » Logged
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 22:55:15 pm »

Good looking car ! What's the tire specs on the first pic ?

BossHogg76

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 13:42:29 pm »

Good looking car ! What's the tire specs on the first pic ?

Thanks Nico

The tyres are 195/65/15 and 175/65/15
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 22:58:38 pm »

Thanks !

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 18:00:32 pm »

Cool Bug bosshog!

Brother Lovedub

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 19:36:18 pm »

Always good to see another member for Cal Look Ecosse.   Grin

Great looking car, hopefuly see you racing at Crail next year....
BossHogg76

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:48 am »

Always good to see another member for Cal Look Ecosse.   Grin

Great looking car, hopefuly see you racing at Crail next year....

Thanks, me racing? i didn't realise they would allow me to race electric wheel chairs  Cheesy
BossHogg76

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:55 am »

Well after spending most of the start of the year out of the country, I managed to get some new seats fitted to my bug. Not quite in the same league as some of the projects and cars on here, but they now keep me sitting pretty,

After originally not being happy with a kit I bought online which was promptly sent baack, a small pic of Mr Seume's seat frames in a magazine gave me some inspiration. So a pair of old knackered seats were found on ebay and chopped up. With skills nothing like Evil Ben's, a bit of fabrication and welding took place and the new seats eventually found their way in to the bug.

I now just need to take them back out strip the frames off them and give them a coat of paint.

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 19:24:02 pm »

Really liking this dude Smiley
BossHogg76

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 21:57:04 pm »

Really liking this dude Smiley

Thanks much appreciated
BossHogg76

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 18:11:08 pm »

Well after not posting much about this I thought i'd bang an update up.

After an uncommon burst of energy whilst i've been back home, I decided to remove the hideous stainless steel firewall. So with a bit of nerves at what might be lurking behind the panel I stripped the back end down and got the drill out.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely red firewall, so gave it a quick polish up, and decided that whilst I have the fan shroud off i may as well paint that. I think as the finish is a little rough I'll go for black crackle finish.

There are other plans afoot, but this will take a bit longer.

kev d

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 19:31:25 pm »

Once the tools come out its amazing how quick a runing car ends up in bits... Grin
Planning getting some miles on it this summer?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
BossHogg76

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 19:56:09 pm »

Once the tools come out its amazing how quick a runing car ends up in bits... Grin
Planning getting some miles on it this summer?

Cheesy I think that was an hours work / demolition lol

I am going to try, I think last years MOT showed that I had put on whooping 1000miles in a year  Angry so that has to improve.

BossHogg76

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 20:57:35 pm »

Well time for another wee update, this year is time for a little change, namely T bars are making a return. However not chrome, a pair of Fast Fab T bars found there way across the Atlantic courtesy of LimeBug (along with a few other things Wink ) being that the colour scheme is red and black, they were sent off for powder coating...in black. I can't take any credit for thinking of this idea, it was shamelessly stolen from Jo Cliffords late bug project and Russell Ritchie's project for his son.

The tinware has been changed, but will be coming off later (whilst another job is being done Wink ) for powder coating, again in black. and a few more new bits of tin will be bought and powder coated.

So what is this job? well whilst on the phone to Limebug I ended up ordering a 1915cc rebuild kit, so there is a new engine on the way. It'll take some time to get all the bits (namely new heads, case, carbs etc etc) but hopefully should provide a boost in power.

Have another pic.

draven898

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 23:35:57 pm »

i'm usually not a big fan of later models, but i really like yours ! keep going the only opinion that matters is yours !

follow my instagram thecallook
BossHogg76

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 00:00:59 am »

i'm usually not a big fan of later models, but i really like yours ! keep going the only opinion that matters is yours !

Thanks Draven898, much appreciated. After a few times of wondering where I was going to take this, I think I have a plan and it should be a laugh.
BossHogg76

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:34 am »

Well got the bug together for the time being, even managed to get the idle problem sorted that had been plaguing me all last summer. So popped down into town for a coffee and a quick pic. In other news, new engine case and heads have been ordered.

V.Meslet

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 08:17:01 am »

That's à very very Nice project !! Love the color and overall look. How do you like the one piece windows ? Everybody is trying to put me away of this mod on my '76  Huh

Vincent Meslet
BossHogg76

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 08:43:59 am »

Hi there, I like them as I think it goes with the whole look of the car. i know it's not a faithful representation of what would have been kicking around back in the day. However I like them and that at the end of the day is all that matters. In the future I would like to make something which is a bit more faithful to the original cal-look ethos, but until then I'm not fussed.  Smiley 
Russell

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 14:25:22 pm »

Bosshogg

Just found your thread very nice car would be cool to get them together over summer ( my sons and yours) he loves red cars, keep the updates coming great to see another homework project being developed.

Good luck with the new motor.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
BossHogg76

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

Thanks Russell, sounds like a cracking plan.
BossHogg76

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 18:12:01 pm »

Well for once I've not been idle when at home, project engine is under way. A Scat 94mm rebuild kit has been sitting in my garage for a while, today a few more bits arrived.

A CB Perfomance case, bored for 94mm piston and barrels, full flowed and 10mm case savers fitted,

I went for the half way house of Los Panchito heads...didn't want to spend on hand ported jobs for a street engine, but didn't want bog basics, hopefully these will do the trick.

So just a million other bits to buy now....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: