The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 17:53:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Why have dragsters gone by the way side?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why have dragsters gone by the way side?  (Read 2777 times)
bugnut68

« on: September 21, 2010, 20:54:41 pm »

I've noticed in recent years that dragsters have gone by the way side as opposed to door cars, aside from a few unlimited machines (VW paradise, Eserinis, Quarterflash from Hawaii, etc).  Is it primarily due to cost versus building a chassis/bodied car, as I'm not even thinking in terms of unlimited, let's-go-for-the-6-second mark cars, but just even for classes like the former Quick 8 class from back in the day.  Just wondering why they don't seem to be out there anymore.
FTG Racing

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:16 am »

I cant speak for anyone else. But our dragsters are parked right now because of the Pro Mod car. Their are pros & cons as for cost. The dragster chassis and drive line componets are way cheaper in the long run. The only thing cheaper on the P/M car is the engine. Even though they consist of the same parts, that extra 500 hp kicks your a ss everytime in dragster. In the end you do not win crap with any car in purse. What little you do win does not cover the fuel and food expense for the weekend. Its all for the love and hanging out with good people.

Jason

President & CEO of FTG Racing
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 16:44:19 pm »

I cant speak for anyone else. But our dragsters are parked right now because of the Pro Mod car. Their are pros & cons as for cost. The dragster chassis and drive line componets are way cheaper in the long run. The only thing cheaper on the P/M car is the engine. Even though they consist of the same parts, that extra 500 hp kicks your a ss everytime in dragster. In the end you do not win crap with any car in purse. What little you do win does not cover the fuel and food expense for the weekend. Its all for the love and hanging out with good people.

Jason

Ah, I gotcha... I remember seeing a lot of aspirated as well as turbo'd rails back in the '80s and even early '90s up here in the Pac Northwest but, overall, noticed it seemed to be a trend elsewhere too that the full-length dragsters aren't as commonplace anymore.
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 23:18:17 pm »

None of the VW promoters really have a class for the dragsters to run in that would pay anything towards the cost of operating more or less building it

You would have to run with the V8 organizations -- I know 3-4 of them parked here in SoCal and that could be had for a song -- I even know of one that was offered for free and it is in running condition.

besides you need a special trailer to move one around -- $2000 drivers suit -- blah blah blah

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:07:51 am »

None of the VW promoters really have a class for the dragsters to run in that would pay anything towards the cost of operating more or less building it

You would have to run with the V8 organizations -- I know 3-4 of them parked here in SoCal and that could be had for a song -- I even know of one that was offered for free and it is in running condition.

besides you need a special trailer to move one around -- $2000 drivers suit -- blah blah blah

Gotcha... I figured dollars and cost had to be a part of it somehow.  Now, where's this free machine to be found? Just kidding, sorta...Grin  There's nothing but V8s running here in Lakeview, Oregon... I'm the lone VW nut, but I have something of a following here.  Probably due to my novelty. Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: