The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:18:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How secure slicks? With srews? tubes? without tubes? without screws?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How secure slicks? With srews? tubes? without tubes? without screws?  (Read 5483 times)
Helge/DFL

« on: April 26, 2006, 21:05:20 pm »

I am not sure if I should mountl my M&Hs with tubes and screws on my Centerlines. Or only screws? Or only tubes? I know the NHRA-rulebook says you have to use srews. So what do you think?

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
kormi

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 22:46:38 pm »

To be safe, do both!  Wink
I have no screws in my rims, yet (dont want to drill holes in my centerlines)... but soon..
Tubes is a "must have" when using slicks.
Just take a look at Thomas accident... not a pretty sight.. http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?topic=132.0

Boost it...
Thomas 356

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:12:37 am »

To be safe, do both   

I am mountl my M&Hs with tubes and screws  next time   

it is not funny Crashing yor car becaurse the slicks fell of

best regards
Thomas 356 (alive)
(the nasty gray death)

Thomas 356
Menber Of  Boulevard Cruiser´s
Driver of the Nasty Gray (Back In Fridolin style)
www.thenastygray.blogspot.com
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:24 am »

Good question and after reading about your accident Thomas I have started to think over what I`m going to do myselves. I`m for sure going to use tubes but I do not wish to drill and install screwes in my Burners. I received a tip that instead of using soap when installing the tires you can use ordinary contact glue. this way the tire will of course get glued to the rim but will it work? And if it works, will it be possible to get the tires off in the future?

Best rgs
BeetleBug

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:59:49 am »

I heard that the offroad boys use what they call "Tractor glue", might be a good product.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Holmes

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:44 pm »

What size and type of tubes fit the 215/65-15 MH tire best? And why is it better with tubes than without? As far as I know the MH DOT slicks are meant to be used without tubes.
Ole

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 20:58:53 pm »

Hi racers,

I think there's one point missing in this thread: air pressure. From time to time I see people STANDING in the lines who's tires wrinkle like at a hard launch Shocked. When I tell them their tires lose air they reply "It's OK, I just checked it"... Undecided

Lowering air pressure increases grip, but there's a certain point when it becomes dangerous.

Just my two PSI,

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 22:38:04 pm »

Sorry to hear about the crash of Tomas Sad We all make up diffrent solutions based on our knowledge and there is no rigth or wrong just you the enthusiast and a fast car from the 30's design table. I run my M&H on Fuchs or Gasburner...no tube and no screws......glue the tire to the wheel and don't risk ripping the vent of the tube of if the tire spin on the wheel............I think enough tire pressure and setting up the rear end toe (no toe out as it is really dangerous) in is the key factors to stable riding. As Ron Lummus said: On a fast run nothing happens with the car. you don't correct it or have to drive it all over the strip!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: