The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 23:24:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The 2275 Motivation for my Chop Top is finally in short block form...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The 2275 Motivation for my Chop Top is finally in short block form...  (Read 6219 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:41 am »

I got a burst of motivation and time the past few weeks and got my 2275 assembled to the deck hight and fitting phases.  I got the type 4 filter installed, BERG deep sump, oil pump, Sil Modesti breather stand (a magnesium VW alternator tower that he tig welded a mag bracket on for me) and got some other miscellaneous fitting done.  Trimmed and fit all my tin, deflectors for under the cylinders, etc., etc..  I have to pick up some barrel shims tomorrow to get the deck where I need it for "0" deck before installing the heads, push rod tubes and other items. 

My car has been off the road for 18 months and I am thrashing to get it all together for the Fall/Winter/Spring VW happenings.  Can't wait.  Have missed out on a lot of fun stuff the past couple years.

Rick M [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
tonybone

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:50:17 am »

Hi Rick.
Looking good so far. Wats the specs on the motor??
Im running a 2276 as well in a full weight 67.

Good luck.

Tonybone
rick m

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:23:55 am »

Hey Tonybone, the 2276 is a great combo for street driving. I am a big believer in large motors.  My last 2110 was completely driveable. I drove it 5200 miles round trip to Detroit, Michigan, in 1997 and back to Arizona in 100+ degree heat. 

The new motor has a K8 cam with straight cut gears, SLR lifters, special oiling mods we did to the case plus full flowed, CIMA 94s with eyebrows, "0" deck with a .060 copper head gasket, CB cnc heads that I modified, BERG short IDA manifolds also heavily modified and polished, IDAs gone through by Art Thraen, 12.5 lb flywheel, ACE clutch disc (also from Art), Stage 1 pressure plate, 1 5/8 merged exhaust, electronic ignition, BERG IDA linkage, and other miscellaneous items I'll post when I remember, plus  9.5 compression.

I am running a type 4 Cooler in the doghouse location plus an additional fan and cooler under the car.  Trans was built primarily for street driving with a 1.58 third and a .95 fourth.  I have a 3.88 ring and pinion in the trans with a superdiff as well. Berg shifter in the car.  Hope to have it all wrapped up and done on the street within 4 weeks.  Have a lot of stuff going on to get it all finished.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 23:54:45 pm »

Forgot to mention that I am running the COMPUFIRE Ignition with this motor.  I ran it with a 1915 driver motor I had in the car for a short period. Was very pleased with the consistent spark delivery and how responsive the motor was.  Never had any issues.  The only thing I did not care for was the bulkiness of the coil unit but overall it has performed very well.

Will post more shots as I get all the tin mods made and fit the motor into the engine compartment with the removable side panels and rear apron.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: